Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:47 AM

8,656 posts, read 9,176,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Wow, talk about revisionist history. Who knew that the GOP was responsible for the decline and fall of the Roman Empire? Thanks for that education. I better go vote Democrat now!
Ancient Rome was a militaristic, fascist, oligarchic dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yep, and handed out cakes and circuses to distract and appease .....
He also instituted major reforms in new building techniques to protect Rome from major fires in its future. At the time Rome for years had major fires constantly. Under Nero that particular fire was the last straw.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,775,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Ancient Rome was a militaristic, fascist, oligarchic dictatorship.
We got the first 3 covered, now we are testing while working on that dictatorship thing,

Old 09-20-2014, 09:57 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,775,328 times
Alienate all your friends and when you need help, there will be none to be had.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
In a sense, yes. I was always taught that Rome fell from within due to the over reliance on slaves and outsiders to do its fighting and agriculture, and a corrupt and decadent ruling class . That and mercury poisoning from leaded pipes and vessels.
Look at our soaring rates of autism and senile dementia and illegal alien problem. And our political and industry leaders. We've become a nation of morons ruled by imbeciles with illegals scavenging whatever they can as the country crumbles around us..
True, by and large those outsiders (the Barbarians) who invaded Rome from the north, around 475 AD were Roman soldiers, but not Roman.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We got the first 3 covered, now we are testing while working on that dictatorship thing,
I suppose it would depend on which emperor and how far the Senate and military would interfere. Some emperors were weak, many were extremely powerful, vastly wealthy and very dictatorial.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:14 AM

73,185 posts, read 62,892,994 times
All this talk about empire, I am going to say this. I'm not interested in having "an empire". I just want to a well run nation. I want a place that has quality.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,718,579 times
Rome went along swimmingly for almost a thousand years, between Republic and Empire.

It wasn't until they instituted Christianity as the state religion that it crumbled...(G).

Of course, there were a few other factors, like that they'd expanded beyond what their communication system could control.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,109,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I've always like to think I'm an optimist, but I look around and see that about 1 in every 2 births in the US is paid for by Medicaid. Our education system has been on a 25 year slide and the 'greatest country in the history of the world' is no longer even in the top 20.

We're constantly involved in overseas wars, but we can't guard our own borders. A Texas county is squeezed financially due to the cost of processing dead immigrant bodies. It had to strip health benefits from deputies to make ends meet.

In 1960 Detroit was the richest city in the world. Now it is bankrupt, and its public school system features a graduation rate of less than one in three. Now the DC region is the richest region in the US. They do not manufacture much of anything, but they are very good at sucking dollars from those who do.

The American revolution was over and done with in about six or seven years. We won WWII in about 6 years. We have been in and out of Iraq, a backward country of about 33 million population, since 1990 (24 years) and it is currently largely controlled by what George Washington would have called 'Mahomedans.'

Maybe we can bounce back. I see a wealth of young conservative talent such as Jindal, Cruz, Rubio, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, Susana Martinez....list goes on. These are all good individuals, but the system is broken. The big picture is not looking good.
How is it that all the people you mentioned all come from the same party... It's really quite astonishing. You support conservatives, but what if, and I know this is crazy, we didn't just support the conservative party that has a bunch of money?

I mean come on! I'd say our downward spiral really sped up around 20001, when privacy stopped being important because terrorists are a WAY bigger problem, and I feel it's important to note that in that time, we've had Republicans and Democrats. Hell, even if we decide on an earlier year, you'd have to go back really frickin far to find a time when either Democrats or Republicans have been the main powers. And if Republicans (conservatives I guess, which were at one point Democrats) are to dang spectacular, how is it than even when they are in charge, things still suck! What makes you actually think the same party that has yet to save this nation will save it with these new comers?

If we really cared about this country, you know, for more than that minute of fleeting patriotism until the next football game comes on because then we've got bigger problems, we'd consider trying out a new party that hasn't completely destroyed this country's integrity with pathetic wars, stupid taxes, and arguments about filler issues. Really, you're telling me we couldn't fix the whole gay marriage debate in a week if we tried? Watch: government should only recognize civil unions. The term marraige stays with God (which is apparently in the Bible, though I looked and couldn't find it) and gay people get the same rights to a marriage that will probably end in divorce. Everyone wins! Same with every other filler issue that takes press away from actual problems, which you somehow didn't address.

Student debt cripples young Americans into submission, which of course the government loves. They don't want young, energetic people fresh out of college asking why the government lets corporations spray toxic chemicals on crops or why corporations can by pass human rights laws by opening factories in China. That would be bad. And no, those 'small government conservatives' haven't even addressed that either. ISIS and Israel and guns are far more relevant. Sure, give me cancer by poisoning my food. That's the free market! But (to quote Tex Cruz), not supporting Israel is to not support America!

And just how do we reach that 'logic' (I put that in quotes because logic usually has a prerequisite of making at least some sense). Israel, a country half way around the world that we have no real sensible reason to breastfeed all the time, is not our problem. Yeah, I support Israel's retaliation against Hamas. But why are we fighting battles for them! When's the last time Gaza shot a rocket at us? But the glorious Mr. Cruz claims that because Israel is a democracy, it's our job to protect them. Not sure how, considering America had little to do with Israels formation and our alliance with them only dates back to 1970. But even so, when did we decide it's our job to 'spread' democracy. The very definition of democracy would suggest that it's not something you can establish in other countries. That's imperialism.

So, are we failing financially. Yeah. That's obvious. And you did address Washington sucking money from other sources, which at least we got that down. But I'll add this: why do we still have a central banking system. It's designed to bankrupt us! We buy money from the Federal Reserve, which is actually not federally owned, but a private, for profit corporation. Why not tackle that. ISIS can wait. Despite Fox News constantly telling us the ISIS is apparently in Mexico, they haven't really done a whole lot on American soil.

End the federal reserve, fight for the people, stop baby sitting the Middle East (including Israel), and take a look at the legitimately real problems we face that Democrats and Republicans alike have done nothing to address or stop, and have even go so far at to cover it up.

Voting conservative, despite what you think, won't do anything. At this point, voting in general probably won't help a lot. I like Rand Paul enough, and I think he's got good ideas, but I'm not an idiot. He's a politician. No mater what he says, it's not actually a promise. Obama made promises. Bush made promises. Politicians make and break promises daily. You can't just say 'let's support these young conservatives' and actually expect a single thing to improve because even if it does get better, it wouldn't produce lasting results and within a few decades we'd be in the same spot we are now. What we need is not idealistic conservatives (or liberal for that matter) representatives but a major social change toward legitimate activism and liberalism (in the more classical sense; freedom).

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM

14,498 posts, read 11,325,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
How many countries does the USA have bases in again?
And keep ignoring the 7trillion in newly aquired debt.
I agree on the debt, we just don't have an empire, at least not if you take into consideration what the definition of empire is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies