Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 05:16 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Do you not realize that Big Government is already confiscating a much greater percentage of everyones' income than they did 20 years ago--with NO improvement in anything? Do you not realize that on top of huge levels of tax confiscation, Washington has managed to rack up a debt of $17 trillion and counting, while NOT FIXING the infrastructure that was declining? Do you REALLY think that giving them another 12 cents per gallon is going to change anything, when we already pay 40-60 cents of taxes on every gallon to federal, state and local governments. National and State Gas Taxes (Fuel Taxes) in the United States - GasPriceWatch.com

Our idiot legislators in NH just raised the gas tax with just such ridiculous justification. With the most obscene property taxes in the nation, and virtually nothing provided in public services, I'm sure giving Concord MORE MONEY will solve all our problems.

And by the way, the newly-raised gas tax in NH ALSO APPLIES TO PROPANE (found hidden in the back of the newspaper) which unfortunately heats my home at a cost of several thousand dollars a month in the winter. Are politicians stupid beyond belief, or just evil incarnate?
You should actually go drive on interstate highways. They are constantly being repaired.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Our infrastructure is crumbling, it's the fuel tax that pays for that infrastructure and as mentioned it hasn't been increased since the 90's. I'll support an increase as long as 100% of it is going to fix roads and bridges and they address taxing vehicles like electric cars that are paying nothing.
Problem is, the Fed keeps raiding the fund for other projects depleting the Highway Trust Fund. Right now, the pols are salivating over the Airport Trust Fund however federal law has that account locked and the politicians can't unlock the fund for other than airport upgrades. There are billions in that account and many politicians have tried to devise means of raiding that account but to no avail. Wise thinking politicians have black letter law that money can't be for other than airport upgrades.

26 U.S. Code § 9502 - Airport and Airway Trust Fund | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 06-19-2014, 05:57 PM

45,214 posts, read 26,424,445 times
This thread proves how people will fall for any excuse. Maybe if the already collected revenue wasnt diverted to other things there would be enough in the pot? I doubt it since it has been spending more than it takes in for decades, but it would be a start.
Fyi the fed guv stole er uh collected record tax revenue in 2012,2013 and thus far in 2014 and still we see the big government whiners advocating it steal er uh collect more out of our paychecks.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Why don't they just take our whole paycheck.
That would be stupid.

Better would be to take 99.999999% and then tease people.

Quote:
Our infrastructure is crumbling, it's the fuel tax that pays for that infrastructure and as mentioned it hasn't been increased since the 90's. I'll support an increase as long as 100% of it is going to fix roads and bridges and they address taxing vehicles like electric cars that are paying nothing.
We could use an Exit Ramp to Nowhere and a personal bridge for everyone.

The Generation Y-Bots are entitled to their own personal private bridge maintained for "free", aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I thought the trillion dollar stimulus was supposed to go towards infrastructure?
It did....those aren't pot-holes, those are high tech suspension testers.

Quote:
At this point in time Ferd you have an Interstate system built in the 60's and 70's. The cost for the bridges alone that are past their lifetime is astronomical.
Quote:
None of that changes the fact wee need huge sums of money to repair infrastructure that has been neglected for decades.
That's illogical.

It was the entire idiotic system created by the illegal-national-government-pretending-to-be-a-federal government that resulted in neglected infrastructure in the first place.

Here's a perfect analogy:

You let a skid-mark scrubber at the hospital cut on your eyeballs....now you're totally blind.....and now you want the skid-mark scrubber to fix the mistakes they made during eye-ball surgery.

How's that going to work out?

Well, it's going to be a massive fail.

The janitor shouldn't have been doing eye surgery in the first place....he was out of his lane....violated his union contract.....doing something he shouldn't have been doing and wasn't qualified to do.

Same with government.

If the government wants to build a transportation system to move military troops, military vehicles and materiel, fine.

If the government wants to allow civilians to use the system during times of non-emergency, that's fine, too.

But the minute the system became obsolete.....and that was in 1965...specifically to wit after the Battle of Ia Drang, it was time for the government to give it up and turn it over to the States.

The fact that it continues to collect the federal excise tax on gasoline and then dole it out as though it were some kind of benevolent god-thing is disgusting.

I'm guessing you all forgot your tyrannical government used the tax money to extort and coerce States to adopt seat-belt laws and raise the drinking age and change the laws regarding drunk driving, by threatening to withhold it if the States didn't bow down and do what almighty government told them to do.

I'm not seeing in the Constitution where it says the federal government can coerce States.

Anyway, your entire system is obsolete.

It's in disrepair because the federal government didn't do its job, because The Stupid® didn't do their job at the polls.

You don't have the money.

You need $3.5 TRILLION for your obsolete electrical grid, and $2.2 TRILLION for your interstate highway system.....as of 2012. I'm sure those figures are much higher now, not that it matters, because you don't have the money.

You need $5 TRILLION for Social Security...you ain't got....you need $1.5 TRILLION for Medicare and you ain't got that.

You don't have the money for private pension funds, and you don't have the money for government pension funds.

And I'll tell you the fly in the ointment: Right-of-Way.

You see, in order to repair and replace these bridges and entrance/exit ramps, it is required that they meet the new standards in effect, which engineers to refer to as "geometry." So, you're looking at approach geometry for bridges, and then also for any exit or entrance ramp connected to the interstate within a certain distance of the bridge.

The approach geometry standards may require the bridge to be re-aligned, subsequently causing the approach to be realigned (or vice versa), and that may effect entrance/exit ramps, and that means Right-of-Way is needed, and that means Eminent Domain, and lots of legal action and delays and cost over-runs and cost increases.

Some communities of course asking, "Do we really need these entrance/exit ramps?" and that raises environmental, political, social and economic issues.

If the Boy-King™ had heeded my advice years ago....and shifted 85% of your freight from over-the-road trucks to rail, you would now have an unemployment rate of 5%-6% with 5 Million new good paying jobs, and you could reduce the size of your highway infrastructure, which means it would cost less to replace/upgrade, and then future costs would be less as well, not to mention all of the benefits including the fact that highways would last longer, requiring less frequent repair, saving even more money.

You all need to start making hard choices, and if you don't, can't or won't, then the Laws of Economics will make those choices for you, and you're not gonna like it one bit.

Quote:
Record number of Americans draining retirement accounts

June 14, 2014, 7:16 AM|A record number of Americans are risking their financial futures by making early withdrawals from their retirement accounts. CBS MoneyWatch personal financial advisor Ray Martin joins “CBS This Morning: Saturday” with more on this disturbing trend.
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/record...ment-accounts/

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Gas prices have gone down the last three years.
Prove it....we already know that won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Or do you mean not counting for inflation?
You don't even know what "Inflation" is.

Economically....

Mircea

Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,843 times
Republicans love to raise sales consumption gas ect ect taxes. They don't care because they are rich. Get them to pay 1% more in income over 250,000 and they go ape feces.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 PM

I am always told I pay income taxes for roads schools and bridges. If you can't get good roads schools and bridges out of $3,000,000,000,000.00 then you are the problem.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Prove it....we already know that won't happen.
go here:
Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

Click on 3 years

Wow that was hard.

Quote:
You don't even know what "Inflation" is.

Economically....

Mircea
Actually I do. your screaming it over and over just makes you look more foolish.

Yes I could get into demand pull inflation, or cost push inflation, but generally I refer to the commonly used term of inflation being related to the CPI. Its a good way to look at the average cost of things and whether somethings current price is rising higher or lower then inflation-not the specific cause per se, and what the current general cost of living is rising at. Maybe you should try talking to regular people more.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah...this tax increase is tied to a tax DECREASE for the 1%. I don't support it for that reason.
I see nothing in the news to validate this. Please provide a link.

Gasoline consumption is decreasing, because MPG is increasing and people are driving less. Yet the roads, bridges, etc. need funding. Hybrid and electric car drivers are under-funding the roads they drive on.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:26 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Republicans love to raise sales consumption gas ect ect taxes. They don't care because they are rich. Get them to pay 1% more in income over 250,000 and they go ape feces.
Isn't that a bipartisan proposal?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Isn't that a bipartisan proposal?
And your point is? Where is the anti tax outrage against this tax increase? Oh wait this doesn't concern the 1% so crickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies