Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,475,940 times

Advertisements

It's unbelievable that we're even considering this as an option for children.

Why can't parents raise their children as they are supposed to be raised. Why are children given so much freedom to dictate to their parents how they will dress?

If my son wanted to dress up like superman and go to school there's no way that would happen, but a dress? Give me a break.

What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?

At 4 years old, there's no way I'd allow my son to make those decisions on his own.

Quote:
When Alex was 4, he pronounced himself “a boy and a girl,” but in the two years since, he has been fairly clear that he is simply a boy who sometimes likes to dress and play in conventionally feminine ways. Some days at home he wears dresses, paints his fingernails and plays with dolls; other days, he roughhouses, rams his toys together or pretends to be Spider-Man.
There's an image of a boy in a green dress that goes with the article linked. That kid is probably older than 7 years old, I can't believe the world of hurt his parents are setting him up for. Why don't adults just put their foot down and impart discipline and be a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,184,458 times
Puh-lease, I've gone to school with two giant dragons coming out of my back complete with cloak and armor. I've worn many cosplays to school.

A dress? What's the big deal?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,707,622 times
There was a time when women and girls were forbidden from wearing anything but a dress to work or school. Should we go back to those days too?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
Well, grew up going to private school, and feel that is how it should be: uniform.

8,982 posts, read 10,477,887 times
Depends on the dress, and the time of year. He absolutely should NOT be allowed to wear a white dress after Labor Day.

13,778 posts, read 9,680,208 times
I'd use my mother's tactic whenever I tried to institute something I just felt I had to do.

"As long as you're under my roof, you will do what I say. When you move out, you can dam well do what you please."

Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,174,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's unbelievable that we're even considering this as an option for children.

Why can't parents raise their children as they are supposed to be raised. Why are children given so much freedom to dictate to their parents how they will dress?

If my son wanted to dress up like superman and go to school there's no way that would happen, but a dress? Give me a break.

What’s So Bad About a Boy Who Wants to Wear a Dress?

At 4 years old, there's no way I'd allow my son to make those decisions on his own.

There's an image of a boy in a green dress that goes with the article linked. That kid is probably older than 7 years old, I can't believe the world of hurt his parents are setting himself up for. Why can't parents just put their foot down and impart discipline and be a parent.
This has to do with culture and the values of that culture. Being from LA I should think you'd know more about competing cultures and their disparate values than I do. We are growing ever more distant from each other.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,286,403 times
He needs to learn early that there is a time and place for everything and that his actions will have consequences that all the rules and laws in the world won't protect him from.

School, like work, often come with limits on personal expression. FACT.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,475,940 times
About That Boy Who Likes To Wear A Dress

Quote:
When this team relay works, we move the conversation forward.

"Really, Mommy? There was a time when girls couldn't go to school? Children of different races didn't play together? Some people who loved each other couldn't get married? Girls had to wear dresses? Boys could not?"

"How did those things change, Mommy?"

It is our job to grab the baton from them, run with it, then hand it back.

Do you speak differently with your children about gender than your parents spoke to you? What do you say?
What does any of this have to do with a boy wearing a dress to school?

He's got gender issues. This shouldn't have to be experienced by everyone in that school to accommodate that boy's gender confusion.

He has got to learn that you can't throw on a dress and go out in public and be acceptable. That's not how society works.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There was a time when women and girls were forbidden from wearing anything but a dress to work or school. Should we go back to those days too?
Women and girls should wear dresses.

I can't believe that NBC is televising women's beach volleyball in primetime - its practically like showing the Playboy channel to 7 year olds.

At least the male volleyball players have the decency to actually wear clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies