Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,992 times

Advertisements

Self funded plans, rather than fully funded plans, are less costly to employers, especially if the employer's stop-loss insurance is cheap, as it should be, from the government. The employer would then have a cheap healthcare plan, so he wouldn't have to gouge the employee. More cost savings to the employee, means a more healthy economy, and more jobs. This would be a modified version of Medicare, would allow for more competition among the healthcare plans. It wouldn't be single payer unless there is a dominant, low cost healthcare provider who has a good self funded plan. Catastophic loss would be carried by the government, and employers/employees would get a break.

Last edited by freefall; 06-14-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Self funded plans, rather than fully funded plans, are less costly to employers, especially if the employer's stop-loss insurance is cheap, as it should be, from the government. The employer would then have a cheap healthcare plan, so he wouldn't have to gouge the employee. More cost savings to the employee, means a more healthy economy, and more jobs. This would be a modified version of Medicare, would allow for more competition among the healthcare plans. It wouldn't be single payer unless there is a dominant, low cost healthcare provider who has a good self funded plan. Catastophic loss would be carried by the government, and employers/employees would get a break.
Yeh, catastrophic loss would be carried by the government, which is funded by taxpayers, who take the loss.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times
Quote:
Allow me to translate:

Employee's should take crappier insurance from their employers. That way it will be less costly for the employer. (duh) If the employer spends less money on the employee, then they will reward the employee by "gouging" him less.

Further benefits from employee's taking less benefits...more jobs for everyone!

( Because we all know corporations making their highest profits in history hire people out of the kindness of their heart....like what's going on now)

Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Catastophic loss would be carried by the government, and employers/employees would get a break.

And where do you think the government would get the money to cover those losses????

The taxpayers, so No thanks.

If your health care is not important enough for you to pay the entire cost of your health insurance, why should I pay for your health insurance ????

Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times
I think I'm going to try your theory tomorrow at work.

I'm going to tell the boss I'm dropping my family's health insurance.

That should save him lots of money!

He will be so grateful that he will give me a raise in pay greater than the benefit I just gave up, AND hire my lazy cousin!

And I'll have the last laugh!..............Palin/Joe The Plumber 2012

Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And where do you think the government would get the money to cover those losses????

If your health care is not important enough for you to pay the entire cost of your health insurance, why should I pay for your health insurance ????
Let me spell it out for you. Because for many, most likely not you because you are a special case, the costs per month for for-profit health insurance premiums are approaching mortgage rate costs, that's why. Do you get it now? By the way, I don't live in a potato patch of a town I live in the DC area, not cheap.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

That would be easy to say if health costs weren't already ridiculous.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yeh, catastrophic loss would be carried by the government, which is funded by taxpayers, who take the loss.
The reason why the CEO of United Healthcare paid himself a billion dollar bonus a few years back is because the healthcare companies with deep pockets charge employers a ton to provide Full coverage to their employees.You are already paying the catastophic insurance 'tax' but don't realize it. If companies were allowed to Self-insure, without the worries of the catastrophic claim, all employers and employees would see a reduction in what they pay. Ultimately the country would win, because the probability of expensive claims is spread over millions of people. This would allow companies to hire more freely, because they aren't taking such a hit on having to provide full coverage.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
The reason why the CEO of United Healthcare paid himself a billion dollar bonus a few years back is because the healthcare companies with deep pockets charge employers a ton to provide Full coverage to their employees.You are already paying the catastophic insurance 'tax' but don't realize it. If companies were allowed to Self-insure, without the worries of the catastrophic claim, all employers and employees would see a reduction in what they pay. Ultimately the country would win, because the probability of expensive claims is spread over millions of people. This would allow companies to hire more freely, because they aren't taking such a hit on having to provide full coverage.
Many companies do self-insure. Mine does.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times
Quote:
Government should reduce rising employer healthcare costs that get passed on to employees
I agree. Divorce health insurance from employment and institute a universal, single payer healthcare system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies