Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 11:54 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The decline began when Monroeville kicked out Westinghouse. The money left. The city has become a haven for Pittsburgh's poor and immigrants.
Monroeville never kicked out Westinghouse. Westinghouse Electric Corporation had been selling off much of its industrial and manufacturing businesses in the 1980s. The big decline started in 1990 when Westinghouse experienced a serious setback when the corporation lost over one billion dollars due to bad high-risk, high-fee, high-interest loans made by its Westinghouse Credit Corporation lending arm. The decline continued when Westinghouse Electric Corporation purchased CBS Inc. in 1995. Westinghouse Electric Corporation changed its name to and became the original "CBS Corporation" in 1997.

Westinghouse Electric Company LLC is an American nuclear power company formed in 1999 from the nuclear power division of the original Westinghouse Electric Corporation. This is the company headquartered in Cranberry. The reason they relocated to Cranberry was easier access to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 04:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
In the last week the convention center pulled the plug on scheduled events, some will still go off, others are cancelled (no more close train show!)

No more concerts as well I guess. This was the place where I got to intro DW to long time fav Donnie Iris.

Now the hotel (which I had stayed at before I moved back) closed abruptly, threw guests out, cancelled bookings and events. DW notes on some FB based page that someone in the know says it will be migrant sanctuary?

And of course the olde convention center that abuts it, stopped being such decades ago...on my 19th bday some hill jack friends from up north came down when I was in college we went there just to hang out and all 5 of us met 5 girls at the cosmetology show and just went out....the good ole teen years.

Monroeville council is clueless and mad, but powerless. The CC returned booking money, the hotel has NOT (yet)

And, in the Macy closures announced rumor says this one will close as well due to the crime, shootings etc and overall negative light...

I grew up at this mall...shopped at Kmart (At home today) foir 'movie food', walked past Cochranes (it used to be here long before it took over the 'miracle mile kaufmans') saw movies for free each weekend at the showcase, was around for the zombie film, wrote programs in the radio shack...etc etc (dad lived behind teds gulf - now NTB) and that whole area was our stomping grounds each weekend.

Hotels are ripping down the name and now just using the place to house mobs of illegals. Just saw a vid where a guy went into a hotel well known to him (but now, name mysteriously missing from the building?), to ask for a room (lobby looked same as usual) and she refused to rent him a room. And when he asked why she would not give an answer.

I smell $$$ ......Federal $$$? Your tax dollars?

Old 03-04-2024, 05:11 PM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Not sure how Penn Hills can be blamed for the perceived Monroeville decline. Penn Hills is the largest municipality after Pittsburgh proper. Monroeville is very dependent on Penn Hills shoppers since Penn Hills failed to develop a dense commercial district outside of the dated Penn Hills Shopping Center.

I will assume that TCV = Turtle Creek Valley. I would not blame the disadvantaged for Monroeville's demise. It is an older auto centric suburb with dated housing stock.

no no no, what I meant is the malcontants that cause the 'people-keeping-away-problems are not from there - as is usually the case.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Man people around here are miserable.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:42 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Man people around here are miserable.
It’s actually very sad. Doom and gloom cannot be exciting or fun.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:23 PM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
I have asked for any details on the new contract they can give, but apparently, monroeville and AC are taking it over. with that, 38 of the 40 shows booked june on have re-affirmed. there is life in the old girl after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh