Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 06:50 AM

4 posts, read 1,594 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
This question is probably posted elsewhere - sorry if it is! I’m looking at a property about 45 minutes out of Pittsburgh that is ostensibly perfect for me - private, wooded, with a lovely house. However, the current owners want to retain mineral rights. I know fracking is currently frozen, but I don’t want to be living on a property where people can come in and basically just set up an oil operation if there’s a policy reversal. I’m thinking mainly about disruption and pollution (I’m currently in Colorado, where all sorts of things are coming up from old mining and industrial operations) - I’m looking to live there until I’m carried out and I like peace and quiet and the outdoors. The realtor doesn’t think it’s a big deal, but other realtors outside of PA think it’s a huge issue.

There are no wells currently on the property and the nearest neighbor is unlikely to grant permission (which is apparently needed?). But policies change, neighbors move and I don’t want to be settled onto my dream property with industrial operations going on in my backyard.

What can happen if you don’t have the mineral rights to your own property? The realtor says it’s unlikely they could ever exercise those rights, but I’m wondering “then why insist on hanging on to them?”

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 06:57 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
I agree with you.

Someone else having "rights" to the ground under your feet poses a lot of risk and no reward/compensation. What are they offering you for this exception?

When you (or your heirs) go to sell the place, this will be another hiccup to deal with. I'm not a professional but I see absolutely no reason why you should agree to this.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:11 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2Pennsylvania View Post
Hi All,
This question is probably posted elsewhere - sorry if it is! I’m looking at a property about 45 minutes out of Pittsburgh that is ostensibly perfect for me - private, wooded, with a lovely house. However, the current owners want to retain mineral rights. I know fracking is currently frozen, but I don’t want to be living on a property where people can come in and basically just set up an oil operation if there’s a policy reversal. I’m thinking mainly about disruption and pollution (I’m currently in Colorado, where all sorts of things are coming up from old mining and industrial operations) - I’m looking to live there until I’m carried out and I like peace and quiet and the outdoors. The realtor doesn’t think it’s a big deal, but other realtors outside of PA think it’s a huge issue.

There are no wells currently on the property and the nearest neighbor is unlikely to grant permission (which is apparently needed?). But policies change, neighbors move and I don’t want to be settled onto my dream property with industrial operations going on in my backyard.

What can happen if you don’t have the mineral rights to your own property? The realtor says it’s unlikely they could ever exercise those rights, but I’m wondering “then why insist on hanging on to them?”

Thanks!
You need to talk to an oil and gas attorney. You may be able to prevent surface use of the property, even though you don't own the mineral rights. Since this would be a lifetime investment, it's worth paying a few hundred dollars for the advice.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:18 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You need to talk to an oil and gas attorney. You may be able to prevent surface use of the property, even though you don't own the mineral rights. Since this would be a lifetime investment, it's worth paying a few hundred dollars for the advice.
Yes. A real estate attorney practicing in Washington County is money well spent. Even if it's $1,000 still worth it. Can you divulge location of property? Just curious. And not sure of the hold on fracking or where you heard of that. Anyway, good luck.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:54 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Hi All,
This question is probably posted elsewhere - sorry if it is! I’m looking at a property about 45 minutes out of Pittsburgh that is ostensibly perfect for me - private, wooded, with a lovely house. However, the current owners want to retain mineral rights.
I would want to know why.

We have never owned the mineral rights with our PA houses.
Because of extensive coal mining ages ago, the rights were held by the now-defunct mining companies. It was never an issue and very common.

But your situation is different.
Why do they want to hold the rights?
Are they sure they own the rights?
Are they expecting a windfall in the near future?

Friends have 16 acres and don't hold the rights. They DO have a gas well on site, far away from their house. They also have an access road cut through the woods to said well. (Access must be allowed ) In exchange, they get free gas. They are fine with it.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:55 AM

10,827 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

where in pa? I have a number of friends in resource production in w.pa and can find out if there are development plans. 45 minutes outside of pitt can be a large stretch of land (unless its 45 minutes on pittsburgh roads meaning it is in pleasant hills, mt lebo, mckees rocks, harmar etc and VERY unlikely they will use them.

Is this bare property or a house on it? you can add a clause that if hey exercise rights and disturb the ground, they have to buy you out at 'n times the current fair market value'. thats a popular option and it keeps all but the real serious out.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:16 AM

10,827 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would want to know why.

We have never owned the mineral rights with our PA houses.
Because of extensive coal mining ages ago, the rights were held by the now-defunct mining companies. It was never an issue and very common.

But your situation is different.
Why do they want to hold the rights?
Are they sure they own the rights?
Are they expecting a windfall in the near future?

Friends have 16 acres and don't hold the rights. They DO have a gas well on site, far away from their house. They also have an access road cut through the woods to said well. (Access must be allowed ) In exchange, they get free gas. They are fine with it.

after a period of time, the mineral rights in pa expire, but do not revert. check yer original to make sure they were not put in a 'bank'

Old 11-20-2023, 03:54 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
after a period of time, the mineral rights in pa expire, but do not revert. check yer original to make sure they were not put in a 'bank'
I have heard that "coal rights" are separate from "mineral rights" in some states. I'm not an expert but I would ask an expert if I lived in an area where there might be coal under the house.

In 2019 when my wife inherited her brother's house in Northumberland County, PA that he'd bought in 1972 the deed specifically said the coal rights belonged to someone else (I forget the details).

On 60 Minutes one time, decades ago, they featured an elderly couple who was put out of their retirement home (or had a railroad built 50 feet away; some such horror story) by a coal company. Not for mining, but to build the railroad that took the coal out of the mine. The coal company had a right of way. I guess they should have checked before building.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:00 PM

369 posts, read 462,596 times
I'm far from an expert on this and others can correct me, but be cognizant of horizontal drilling. If a neighbor (up to a mile or so away?) has your mineral rights they can drill your minerals out from underneath you without touching your land.

As others have said I don't see any reason to agree to this unless they offer you serious $$$ upfront for those rights.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:21 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
I'm far from an expert on this and others can correct me, but be cognizant of horizontal drilling. If a neighbor (up to a mile or so away?) has your mineral rights they can drill your minerals out from underneath you without touching your land.

As others have said I don't see any reason to agree to this unless they offer you serious $$$ upfront for those rights.
If Pa is anything like Texas, the current owners will tell you to get lost if you demand they sell you the mineral rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh