Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 01:08 PM

296 posts, read 530,273 times

Advertisements

Hello All , just bear with me for a minute as I am very new to photography, I have many questions.

1) What type of camera should I purchase which would be around $500?

2) Types of lenses should I look at?

3) I don't know what things I want to photograph , I just know I want to get out and look. I live in South West Florida

4) Is there an idiots guide to photography I should look up?

5) I have my Mothers old Cannon eos rebel with 2 lenses but I want to purchase a digital camera, are these lenses interchangeable?

Any and all other advice would be really appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 03:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 2,690,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
Hello All , just bear with me for a minute as I am very new to photography, I have many questions.

3) I don't know what things I want to photograph , I just know I want to get out and look. I live in South West Florida

5) I have my Mothers old Cannon eos rebel with 2 lenses but I want to purchase a digital camera, are these lenses interchangeable?

With your budget, I recommend staying with a good phone camera such as the Pixel 6 Pro.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:59 PM

4,579 posts, read 5,456,859 times
I say just start with the Rebel and two lenses you have now. Get out there and start taking photos. You'll soon decide on what type of photography most interests you. Also, do some internet research on basics of digital photography. Learn the basics (DOF, composition, light, etc.) and go from there.

What are the two lenses you have now with the Canon Rebel?

After you get the basics down and figure out what route you want to take, then you should start considering other types of lenses to purchase.

Better than spending money on upgrading your camera for now, I say purchase the Adobe Creative Cloud for photographers at only $9.99 per month. It comes with really good tutorials not just for basic photography, but you'll also have access to Photoshop and Lightroom which every photographer should have IMO.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 2,690,764 times
One or two years ago, I would have said buy a camera, today not so much. You carry a phone most of the time, but a camera for specific times only. Today's phones are as good if not better than entry-level cameras, plus they are much easier to use. Excellent phone cameras are iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro, Pixel 6 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Google Pixel 6. You may already own one.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,549,278 times
you can go to bESTBUY and a geek will help you

Old 01-27-2022, 07:42 PM

7,218 posts, read 9,290,485 times
A quick amazon search for "Canon Rebel Body" yielded this.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Camera-...s=photo&sr=1-5

DON'T go out and buy it without doing some research. You should do your own search looking for camera bodies that your current lenses will fit. Find out what your current lenses will work with.

Way back I had a Minolta SLR. Loved it. Got out of the habit of carrying it everywhere. 15-20 yrs ago I got a Canon Powershot. Loved it. Carried it everywhere. Had a lot of fun. But people with the DSLRs were getting the better shots. Still, I went thru 4 or 5 Powershots before finally getting a DSLR of my own.

What I'm saying is you might consider getting a point and shoot that allows you manual exposure settings. Then have fun and play.

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,981,994 times
I'd buy this. It has a one inch sensor and two lenses. The one inch sensor will give better results than a bridge camera with a smaller sensor. I have this camera and recommend it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25446382497...wAAOSwbPleBJMQ

Old 01-29-2022, 05:46 PM

15,722 posts, read 9,567,170 times
You'd be able to buy a good used digital camera for $500. If those lens you already have will work on a digital mode, look for a Canon Digital Rebel or a mode like a Canon 60D which I still shoot with

Old 01-30-2022, 10:57 AM

6,779 posts, read 3,395,809 times
You have some good advice on using the EOS (EF mount) lenses on a newer EOS digital body.

As for learning, there are tons of videos on You Tube that cover the basics of photography. Once you get comfortable, learn how to get out of P (or Program) mode and learn how to shoot in A (Aperture Priority) and M (Manual) mode. Learn how metering works and how light affects your images. Metering (IMO) is one of the more over-looked aspects of photography.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post

I would say these are the top 8 Cameras Under $500 in 2022

Best DSLR Cameras under $500

Nikon D3400 w/ 18-55mm Lens
Nikon D5300 w/ 18-55mm Lens
Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
Best Mirrorless Cameras under $500
Sony a5100 with 16-50mm Lens
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with 14-42MM Lens
Canon EOS M100 with 15-45MM Lens
Best Compact Cameras under $500
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Sony RX100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography