Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM

20 posts, read 86,045 times

Advertisements

Still on my hunt for a good place to settle down with kiddos. Moving to Arizona from Midwest in the next couple months, working in Chandler, Arizona near Intel. I really like the Ocotillo neighborhood of Chandler, have liked a couple homes in Queen Creek, and stumbled on what appears to be a gem of Goodyear Arizona. I realize the commute time would be longer but I currently drive 45 minutes to work everyday as is, sometimes longer if weather conditions persist. Looking to rent a nice single story home with pool. I've really liked the Estrella mountain Ranch neighborhood. Please tell me more about this area , pros/cons, schools, hospitals, etc. Thanks for all your info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
When there are so many nice areas in Chandler, I don't see why you'd give yourself an hour+ commute to live in Goodyear. You know they're about 50 miles apart, right? Chandler is more expensive since it's more established and more central. I guess it depends on your budget. If you can only afford what you want in Goodyear, then MAYBE it makes sense. That's one hell of a commute though.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
When there are so many nice areas in Chandler, I don't see why you'd give yourself an hour+ commute to live in Goodyear. You know they're about 50 miles apart, right? Chandler is more expensive since it's more established and more central. I guess it depends on your budget. If you can only afford what you want in Goodyear, then MAYBE it makes sense. That's one hell of a commute though.
Agree!

It is too easy to talk yourself into thinking that a horrible idea like commuting from the far West Valley to Chandler every day would be an acceptable commute. So you are very fortunate that you came here so we can smack you back into reality (kidding, sort of ).

If you are working in Chandler, you need to search for living arrangements either in Chandler of in one of the East Valley cities. It's either that, or discard this advice and then grow more and more hateful of your loooooong commute until you break down and move to the East Valley or completely back to the Midwest.

Do yourself a huge favor and just find a place to live in Chandler.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
I live in Goodyear and it's a great place to live and we're very happy here. That said there is NO WAY IN HELL I would live in Goodyear if I worked in Chandler as that commute would be a nightmare. You need to be looking in the east valley if your job is in Chandler, forget the entire west valley.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
It is roughly one hour drive time from Estrella to Intel in Chandler. Time of day is not all that important because you can take surface streets out of the main traffic flow to I-17 at Durango and from there it is clear sailing. If you were to take I10 like you might from the more northern parts of Goodyear it would probably be 1 1/2 hours during rush hour. No fun, for sure.

I live in Estrella. I don't think I would want to do that commute day in and day out. Estrella's distance and setting give it that unique feel of community that make it such a hit with a certain segment of people. It has the illusion, at least, of small town living. Life in general is good here. We have nice schools, wonderful views, clean air, and community amenities. But we pay the price in convenience. It is nothing like it used to be in that respect, but employment still presents a challenge for just about everyone who lives here. I know people who work in Scottsdale, Tempe and even one in Mesa. They made the choice you are considering and they are happy with it. Go in with your eyes open and don't rationalize the hassles away. And take a look at Ahwatukee too. It is a nice place to live as well. I moved to Estrella from there, because the growth and congestion got to me, but it is still one of the nicer places to live in Phoenix IMO.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Agree!

It is too easy to talk yourself into thinking that a horrible idea like commuting from the far West Valley to Chandler every day would be an acceptable commute. So you are very fortunate that you came here so we can smack you back into reality (kidding, sort of ).

If you are working in Chandler, you need to search for living arrangements either in Chandler of in one of the East Valley cities. It's either that, or discard this advice and then grow more and more hateful of your loooooong commute until you break down and move to the East Valley or completely back to the Midwest.

Do yourself a huge favor and just find a place to live in Chandler.

That's exactly what I needed, Reality check!!!!! Thank you all, moving back to Octotillo/chandler searches!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,906 times
Whoa OP, that was a curveball from far left field!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Whoa OP, that was a curveball from far left field!
I know, too much googling!!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,559 times
Glad you've reconsidered....I live in Goodyear and love it, but it is not commutable unless your intent is to lose your mind

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,804 times
You don't need to limit yourself to Ocotillo, which is substantially more expensive than Estrella. Ocotillo and Fulton Ranch have home prices very similar to what you see in North Scottsdale. If you're seeking a big master planned community away from it all, consider Adora Trails in far SE Chandler (maybe a 15 minute drive to the Intel Ocotillo Campus), Bridges at Gilbert (similar drive) or as someone else mentioned Ahwatukee, which has more of the mountains like Estrella, but is not very isolated unless you drive deep into it. I personally prefer the Ocotillo/Fulton Ranch area, but keep those other areas in mind if price is an issue as the area around the Intel Ocotillo campus is the most expensive area in Chandler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area