Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:52 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this board and really find it fun and interesting. I live in the NE area of the Valley but love to go all over searching for great places to eat. I'm not really into the fancy dinner places...mainly I like to go to breakfast or lunch. I thought it might be fun to share some favorites with you all and ask that you share some, too.

A few of my all time favs are:

La Pressa Torta on 7th Street South of Hatcher - Cheap, WONDERFUL, mexican sandwiches and fresh fruit juices.

Bertha's Cafe on 40th St. and Thomas. Little tiny cafe, really good sandwiches. Try the asparagus/cheese pannini (sp?) Wow, it is fantastic.

Golden Budda down by the airport. Dim Sum. It's very pretty and usually very good. Not as good as SF or LA, but very close.

Lo Lo's Chicken and Waffles. I think it's on Yuma Street (?) south of Van Buren near Central Ave. If you like fried chicken or soul food check it out. It is YUMMY. On a par with Roscoes in Los Angeles.

Pls share some of your favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
I share your enthusiasm for Golden Buddha. The others I have to check out. I drove by the torta place in Sunnyslope a week ago but haven't had a chance to stop in yet. I have many favorites, including the following:

Sabuddy -- an Israeli restaurant near Scottsdale & Shea -- best falafel in the PHX area

Cafe Lalibela -- an Ethiopian restaurant at University & Hardy in Tempe

Udupi -- a southern Indian restaurant on Scottsdale Rd. just south of McKellips in northern Tempe

Grill El Quetzal -- a Guatemalan restaurant at Dobson & Main in Mesa

Cornish Pasty Company -- serving the stuffed pastries eaten by British miners at University & Hardy in Tempe

Eliana's -- El Salvadoran food at 24th St. & McDowell in Central Phoenix

Carolina's -- Great Mexican food at 12th St. & Mohave in South Phoenix -- best tortillas in the PHX area

Champen -- a great Thai restaurant at 51st Ave & Thunderbird on the Phoenix / Glendale border

Calabria Italian Grocery & Deli -- East Coast style Italian deli at 3rd Ave & Roosevelt Downtown Phoenix

Super Dragon -- great neighborhood Chinese restaurant at 12th St. & Northern on the border between North Central Phoenix and Sunnyslope

Middle Eastern Bakery & Deli -- fresh-baked pitas and Middle Eastern food on 16th b/w Thomas & Osborn in Central Phoenix.

The list goes on and on and on... Some folks on this board gripe about endless chain restaurants. That's true only if you stick close to big malls and newly developed areas. Look around in some of the smaller strip malls and in the downtown areas of Phoenix and its more established suburbs and the bounty reveals itself quickly.

A few places to discover more gems:

Phoenix New Times (http://restaurants.phoenixnewtimes.com/ - broken link)
Feasting in Phoenix
Chowhound Southwest Board
PHX Rail Food
Chow Down Phoenix!

Last edited by exit2lef; 07-22-2007 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 10:53 PM

202 posts, read 981,002 times
Pete's Fish and Chips. 8 valley locations.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Please don't make me throw up.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:06 PM

202 posts, read 981,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Please don't make me throw up.
Come on!!! Their sauce is AWESOME.

It looks like ketchup, it tastes like ketchup, but brother, it ain't ketchup!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 AM

48 posts, read 215,961 times
I love Malee's at desert ridge. I usually go for their lunch specials since i find the price more reasonable. Avina's is also excellent for vietnamese. Not as good as Toronto, but great anyhow.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:24 PM

72 posts, read 225,542 times
Burger King is always good

Old 07-24-2007, 04:55 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolguyb View Post
Burger King is always good
Yes, when I ate red meat my fav was BK.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
BK is a gem????

Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post

LOL...... when I first moved to the Valley I used to love that place.

Golden Canyon at Dobson and Southern
Napoli Pizza Greenway and hmmmm I think 39th Ave
Primas Pizza Val Vista and Baseline
I can't think of the name but there's a sandwich place on the SE corner of McClintock and Southern.
AJ's fine foods in Chandler for lunch......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area