Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 10:35 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Every one in the world knows Mr. Carver has an Honorary Doctorate.
I think you’d be surprised at how many don’t know anything about that.

Quote:
You were insinuating that I am so ignorant that I don't know the difference, and that you think you are the only person who knows this commonly known trivia about Dr. Carver.
I insinuated nothing. Instead, I communicated my point very clearly with no insinuation necessary.

Quote:
Your comment was nothing more than an errant stroll down an inconsequential path and you know it.
You claimed something that was incorrect, and I corrected you. If you don’t wish to be corrected, don’t post things that require correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 11:20 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I think you’d be surprised at how many don’t know anything about that.

I insinuated nothing. Instead, I communicated my point very clearly with no insinuation necessary.

You claimed something that was incorrect, and I corrected you. If you don’t wish to be corrected, don’t post things that require correction.
This presents a perfect opportunity that should get this thread back on the rails. It is your opinion that the person in question should not be referred to as Dr. Knowing comes from Knowledge and knowledge is based on experience. I have been to the George Washington Carver National Monument site on many occasions. From my personal experience the Park's historical interpreters as well as guest scholars who present lectures there all refer to Mr. Carver as Dr. Carver. So it is not wrong to use the commonly used, Dr. Carver. If you had ever been there you would know this too.

Old 04-23-2023, 11:27 AM

336 posts, read 204,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Actions can be judged as right or wrong by its result and per the law in a civil society. Interpretation is always colored by personal bias, emotions, and conditioning.

Your beliefs are based on what you value. If your value changes, so will your belief. If i value money because I believe it can buy me love, and if I find out it does not, my belief will change.
How do you become sure that some action caused some result? You have to believe the law that it actually has in it the truth about what is right or wrong.
Saying my beliefs are based on what I value is a belief in itself. In your example you have to believe in the value of money first, not to mention belief in the concept of money and its utility.
Also, to abstract, in your example, belief x because belief y. Belief y false, therefore belief x false too, because it was dependent on belief y being true for its existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Your second question is unclear to me. But to answer your first, we make observations. For example, eating with one's mouth open or closed. You decide that it is disgusting and prefer to eat with your mouth closed. You do it every day which can be recorded. To what end? To live your life the way you prefer.

But if you are considering how to impose it on others, that is different.
We have to believe our observations to base some other ideas off of them. This end about living according to preferences is just another preference.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
This presents a perfect opportunity that should get this thread back on the rails. It is your opinion that the person in question should not be referred to as Dr. Knowing comes from Knowledge and knowledge is based on experience. I have been to the George Washington Carver National Monument site on many occasions. From my personal experience the Park's historical interpreters as well as guest scholars who present lectures there all refer to Mr. Carver as Dr. Carver. So it is not wrong to use the commonly used, Dr. Carver. If you had ever been there you would know this too.
And experience is based on your interaction with the world which you interpret through your beliefs and through your senses which you, most likely, believe to be showing you the truth.

Old 04-23-2023, 01:20 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
One without an earned Doctorate isn’t entitled to use the title. Now you know this too.

That others choose to inappropriately use a title that he didn’t earn, and that he himself didn’t use, doesn’t change anything.

Old 04-23-2023, 02:29 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castly View Post
We have to believe our observations to base some other ideas off of them. This end about living according to preferences is just another preference.
Correct. I'm not sure where the problem is.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Correct. I'm not sure where the problem is.
The problem is that everything (besides pain and death) is an idea that you either believe or disbelieve. It's a problem because through this belief about beliefs you get to nihilism, if you actually believe it. Do you think this is the case or not and why?

Old 04-25-2023, 11:22 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
This is a problem if you devote too much time to it (which looks to be the case). Questioning the questioning of the questions. Like a dog chasing its tail, or someone stuck in a whirlpool. Just move beyond it and live your life.

Some people have way too much idle time on their hands, and lead a life of triviality.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castly View Post
The problem is that everything (besides pain and death) is an idea that you either believe or disbelieve. It's a problem because through this belief about beliefs you get to nihilism, if you actually believe it. Do you think this is the case or not and why?
I personally think where we have taken ourselves, we have done so intentionally. If our thought process has taken us to nihilism, it can also intentionally lead away from it. That would be done with observation. You can observe people believing they live meaningful lives. Maybe you wouldn't want to live their life exactly, but there is no doubt that meaningfulness exists. It has to. If it didn't, nihilism wouldn't exist.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:56 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This is a problem if you devote too much time to it (which looks to be the case). Questioning the questioning of the questions. Like a dog chasing its tail, or someone stuck in a whirlpool. Just move beyond it and live your life.

Some people have way too much idle time on their hands, and lead a life of triviality.
I think the bigger problem, related to your "live your life" prescription, is that people tend to ruminate without gathering enough data. There is too much theorizing and not enough experimentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy