Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 06:21 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

I was almost shot one day walking home in NYC. This was back in the 1990s. My family and I were walking home and a guy opens fire on this other guy who was roughly 10 feet away from us. Miraculously nobody was hit (not even the target).

Another time, I was riding in a car with a friend of my parents. We were driving back to NYC from Philly after helping her daughter set up her new home. My parents' friend (the driver) nearly ran headfirst into the exit median on the freeway because she wasn't paying attention while going at a fast speed. My life flashed before my eyes to a greater extent here than with the gunfire incident, perhaps because I was older in the car incident.

Can't really say that either incident changed me in a profound way. I guess I can say that they made me appreciate life more, but I don't know if that's true (I already have a healthy appreciation for life).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 09:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Like volosong, mine was a combat situation. I was later told of being only a couple minutes away from death. It does cause moments of anxiety when I allow myself to think deeply about it. Otherwise, growing up in the military and remembering the calls of my father being MIA or wounded, kinda becomes nothing but a bad hair day after awhile. I'm sort of numb to my survival and get more of the funk when thinking of those with me who did not survive.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:26 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
At least once a month...

Old 12-30-2022, 05:33 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Yes, I was nearly choked to death by the husband that I was divorcing. I truly thought that I was going to die. My 4 year old was in the room, and my last thought was to see him in the room. I remember getting him in my line of sight, yes horrible for a 4 year old to see this. Luckily, the soon to be ex-husband came to what senses he had, and let me go. Did that change me? Oh, you bet it did. It was slightly over 40 years ago, and I remember vividly. He was angry that he had gotten divorce papers. His anger continued for a few other incidents. Sadly this is back when a "domestic" incident was considered not that big of a deal. It was a 5 year marriage, and there were not any signs that he might be this way. You never know what a person is capable of, especially a sociopath!

How did it change me? That would be impossible to describe to anyone that has not gone through something like that. I do find that with others that have suffered that threat, that we have a "bond", an understanding of what that does to a person.

Life meant something different after that day. It took on more meaning, and I appreciated every day after that just a little more. Life goes on.

Old 12-31-2022, 12:55 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,332,788 times
When I was a kid, I almost drowned, and almost got hit by a car, plus had a serious appendicitis.

Then I spent a career in the military, supposedly in the “rear with the gear”. Only warfare isn’t like it used to be, as rockets, mortars, suicide bombers, green on blue attacks were all very real problems for people other than grunts.

Basically, what I’m trying to say here is that sometimes, it’s better to be lucky than good.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Several times, but the most impactful was from a combat situation in Vietnam. It gave me a much greater appreciation for life...so much so that I now hop over ant trails on the sidewalk to make sure that I won't step on any ants.
It's interesting, I do the same thing with ants and other insects.

One time, during the fall of Communism in 1989, I was in a small crowd of people screaming like lunatics against the communist regime. At night so it was dark, December, so really cold. Suddenly, the repressive forces (desperate not to give up the power) started shooting at us. (I was with my brother there). It was very unexpected, terribly loud and it seemed to last forever. My brother pushed me under a car and we both waited there until it was silence again. And then we run all the way home on back streets.

I feel that we were protected by God.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:01 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Maybe this doesn’t count, but one time I was driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, a truck tire somehow broke loose and was bouncing down the highway. It was headed straight toward me, but by the time I fully processed what was going on, it had bounced directly over my car and then continued on its merry way.

I can’t necessarily say that I would have died if it had hit my car, but I probably would have been seriously injured at the very least. Perhaps that’s why it didn’t really change me. Every once in a while I just think, “Huh, what if that truck tire had actually hit my car instead of flying right over it?” I did get a profound sense of deja vu when I heard of someone dying that exact way several years after the fact.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:08 PM

740 posts, read 455,774 times
Sad part is it is all luck and you think it would be a life changing event. Except no it didn't. When I was a child, my parents were so poor they thought I was going to starve to death due to hunger. Years later it turns out that it would be my mother who got the short end of the stick and died from malaria. Being poor sucks. Being born in a third world country, is even worse.

At the age of six, my brother and I were playing tag, I ran across the street without looking. A car going about 45 mph hit me, a paramedic later visited me and said that I was about 15 ft away from the car when they got there.

In college, (I was a passenger) my friend did not listen to my warnings about driving too fast, he drove like a lunatic and crashed his car on a bridge, at the moment he lost control, I looked down and it was at 115 mph. Luckily that bridge was a one way bridge or we would have died in a head-on collision from another car.

Two years ago, I suffered a stroke, and I was pretty sure I did because I was extremely confused. I couldn't even type ABCD in alphabetical order, but I decided I didn't want to know so I stayed home. 3 days later I finally decided to show up at a hospital...The doctor said I suffered a stroke.

And this is not even counting the many other serious situation that I ended up in like 4th grade, my neighbor got extremely drunk and came out of his apartment with a gun and threaten to shoot my friend and I. Took out his gun pointed at us and pulled the trigger. Luckily, he forgot to load the gun. Or the time my college friend and I found ourselves being approach by gang members threating to kill us because they didn't recognize us. And that was not the first nor the last time we have been approach by gang members. Other people I knew weren't as lucky. They got killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:17 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
I would have to ask the medical providers. And they would (probably) never tell me the truth.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:16 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
"Have you ever almost died or been killed?"

every
single
day.

we are not promised
our next breath.

"If so, how did that change you?"
i started posting on city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy