Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 05:42 PM

3,993 posts, read 6,804,337 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I have grandiose ideas that I must "do my best" to try to "do something useful for mankind"...

But then I start to wonder if that's just a naive vanity, and if in fact no single individual among billions of people can do anything "useful for mankind"... And if it's not better to just care about my individual happiness and forget about those grandiose ideas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 05:51 PM

And why would I think that "just caring about my individual happiness" is not enough to live a meaningful life?

Old 10-06-2022, 08:21 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,795,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Sometimes I have grandiose ideas that I must "do my best" to try to "do something useful for mankind"...

But then I start to wonder if that's just a naive vanity, and if in fact no single individual among billions of people can do anything "useful for mankind"... And if it's not better to just care about my individual happiness and forget about those grandiose ideas...
Quote:
And why would I think that "just caring about my individual happiness" is not enough to live a meaningful life?
Wow. There's a pretty big gap between wanting to do something for mankind and living for yourself! Talk about extremes!

First of all, there have been plenty of people who have done something useful for mankind. Granted, at the time they were doing "it", they probably didn't give it a single thought. They simply believed in what they were doing, set out to do it by hook-or-crook, and the result was that they're still remembered for "it" today.

By the same token, there are also plenty of people who have contributed to the betterment of society on a smaller scale. Their efforts will be useful and remembered, but not necessarily by the whole world.

Maybe you could compromise?

I think a number of people don't just live for themselves (Just ask most mothers!). I think if we did, we wouldn't come that far as a society.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:57 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:

Why is it an either/or (extreme)? In other words, I associate wanting to give/do something for someone else as one of the ways in which to acquire happiness i.e. does it not make most of us grin to know we made someone else smile or made their day - particularly if we know/care about them (and even if we don’t).

That said, I think it’s selfishly unrealistic to think we must affect (or be useful to) mankind, as a whole (or forget it and only think of ourselves). Obviously, the vast majority of us are never going to be in a position to do something for the human race on a grand scale (and by whose standard, anyway). As a result, relative to your point, it’s simply an excuse to do nothing.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:42 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,798 times
My approach is that I will do what makes me happy. You're right in that for the vast majority of us, what we do won't have much impact on the world as a whole. However, I think of my actions as similar to a drop in the ocean. Eg. If I recycle, it won't be noticeable, but combined with 1 billion other people doing the same thing, it will make a difference. Why does it have to be all or nothing? There's nothing wrong with doing your very small part and feeling good about it. As far as living a meaningful life, it's all about what you consider a meaningful life, that's different for everyone.

And keep in mind (assuming you don't believe in life after death), once you're dead that's it. You are gone forever and will not know a thing about what happens after you die. Even if you change the world, you can savor the feeling until the day you die but after that it will be over. Just like before you were born. Do you remember anything about that? No you don't and that's what it'll be like after you die. Just something to think about.

For me personally I do my small part like recycle but I feel zero responsibility to make things better for the human race. We are all here for a short time, then we will die and be nothing. That's it, so everything I do is for the time I am here.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Technically, by working, you are contributing to society.

For example, if you wanted to go to McDonalds (or if you're too good for that 5 Guys or Red Robin), and the people working there decided they were too good to work there, then you wouldn't be able to get a burger.

Do you know how many people go into places like that every day and get exactly what they want?

So what does society do?

Make fun of people who work at McDonalds of course.

Call them burger flippers.

On a corporate scale the contribution may or may not be as clear.

On paper, my job does a lot for society. And in a tangible raw sense, in kind of does. But too much red tape. Too much BS.

The higher ups at my company just care about more money, and less work. They could care less if we handed in reports that were 100 blank pages as long as we got paid and nobody complained.

And the government officials we deal with just want to leave at 4:30 and not be bothered with reality. And all clients know is they have to spend more money, and it's your fault.

And if I want to take a paycut to apply for a job that has more daily meaning or inspires me more, I'm 'all over the place' or 'too old'.

I once read a Glassdoor review of special needs/social worker company and many of the employees there were complaining about how corporate just wanted to push more casework and more profits. I mean, c'mon there's a limit.

If you want to make a lot of $, go into banking or go sell Jaguars.

Last edited by jobaba; 10-06-2022 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-07-2022, 04:42 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
No. Human usefulness is not being naive, nor is it being vain. It can be vain in one particular context. Since "useful" is related to the word "used", perhaps there is a negative connotation to the word used in this context. Relationships require both people to be useful to each other. They may provide positive affirmations, gifts, quality time together, and affection to varying degrees.

But what if our efforts are not well received? I would avoid seeing myself as useless, and instead, be glad that I tried. Survived. Then go on to reflect, grow, and move on.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:38 AM

Sometimes I think that no matter how big our efforts for "doing something that makes a difference" are, in fact nothing that we do really makes any difference... The role of a single individual in a world with 8 billion people is too small...

Old 10-07-2022, 08:01 AM

8,680 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Sometimes I think that no matter how big our efforts for "doing something that makes a difference" are, in fact nothing that we do really makes any difference... The role of a single individual in a world with 8 billion people is too small...
Your post(s) appear to be confusing philanthropy with compassion. Obviously, not many of us can afford to be a philanthropist at the level of Gates; but compassionate and empathetic people tend to live happier and mentally healthier lives. It’s not rocket science to establish they will have stronger/more real connections, relationships and friendships, as a whole. In other words, donating a few bucks to hurricane victims isn’t really the point; and some will be able to afford (to give) more than others or prefer to give to homeless organizations or another charity. Some just volunteer their time. The point is the compassion behind it i.e. the ability to be conscious of the world/people around us sans an entitlement as if we are the only ones who matter.

To see how one treats (or feels about) other people is the easiest way to see who they are.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:07 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
One of my ministers did a sermon that really opened my eyes. God doesn't need you to wait to do some big thing. He wants you to do the little things every day.

Maybe by just a smile in the grocery store, you could save someone's life who was severely depressed. Even just being nice and making someone's day may lead them to do that to others, who do that to others in a vast multiplier effect. At work, your encouragement could get someone to believe in themselves and make a better life for themselves and their family.

The movie, "Its a Wonderful Life," uses this theme. Jimmy Stewart's character didn't think he amounted to anything, but all the little things he did made a world of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy