Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 AM

140 posts, read 290,702 times

Advertisements

God is good?

The lesson of our moving and passing?

This place shared!!!!

The road we currently share leads to the same place?

Infinite/finite expectation of life.

Conscious

You know if you can hear it! L Stu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:50 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,848,209 times
Default Not purpose... but purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I'm putting this more under the heading of philosophy, rather than religion. I'm wondering what people believe to be their purposes in life, if they have one. I am a woman in my early 30's who has been struggling with this concept for a long time. I started having my "quarterlife crisis" when I was about 27 and it's continued through the present. I feel that if I felt I had a purpose in life, that maybe my continued angst about career and friends, etc. would diminish.

Some people's purpose is to be a good parent, others' is to have a professional purpose, such as healing the sick as in the case of a doctor, etc.

How did you realize what your purpose was? I have no idea how to go about figuring out what this is.
Each of us have been given a talent, a gift... an ability to do something well. That would be aptitude. For those who have read the Bible... Paul was a tent maker, that's is how he made a living. Jesus was a carpenter (likely), so these skills, and talents were possibly transferred by learning or having a natural aptitude to perform. So there is purpose in aptitude. Have you seen those who enjoy what they do? their peace and joy is good a witness for their purpose... and then there are those who are so unhappy at what they do. This is easy to see and therefore...... know.

Then there is another aspect of purpose... it is service. This is the greater, the more important component of purpose... because it is externally focused. This purpose is about others who can benefit, at our loss, for their gain. If you accept the premise that the hands of the Potter can make what He chooses from what man discards... then you may have a hint at your purpose.

For instance... what drug rehab councilor who has not be exposed to some form of drug abuse, would make a good councilor? That is not to say someone who has lived a pure life could not help... but when you want someone to understand the struggles of an addict, and relate to their suffering, you need to have some exposure to what it is your trying to council. What struggles in our lives have honed our discernment? Wisdom is important but discernment is knowing what and how to apply that wisdom.

God takes what man throws away, and makes something new. Is it not true that great stones need to be crushed, worn down, grinded to silt before these very stones of strength.... can be clay? To find what the hands of the Potter CAN make new... see where you have experienced failure, brokeness, rejection... these are God's building blocks of purpose.

Be clay

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM

310 posts, read 1,197,680 times
"Jesus was a carpenter "

What was a carpenter in them days?

I think I'm here to raise my girlfriends children. I can't imagine a life with no purpose. EW

Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM

22,355 posts, read 19,288,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
"Jesus was a carpenter "

What was a carpenter in them days?

I think I'm here to raise my girlfriends children. I can't imagine a life with no purpose. EW
This is so beautiful! Thank you for the heartwarming post.
And reminding me of one of my all time favorite scenes in a movie, from Meet the Parents where the ex-boyfriend was this hilarious character, and of course patterned himself after Jesus. I LOVE that movie! ROFL

Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 PM

708 posts, read 1,298,686 times
Quote:
I'm putting this more under the heading of philosophy, rather than religion. I'm wondering what people believe to be their purposes in life, if they have one. I am a woman in my early 30's who has been struggling with this concept for a long time. I started having my "quarterlife crisis" when I was about 27 and it's continued through the present. I feel that if I felt I had a purpose in life, that maybe my continued angst about career and friends, etc. would diminish.

Some people's purpose is to be a good parent, others' is to have a professional purpose, such as healing the sick as in the case of a doctor, etc.

How did you realize what your purpose was? I have no idea how to go about figuring out what this is.
Some people have the idea that doing what they want to do is what they are here for, while other people realize that doing what you need to do is why they are here. Sometimes doing what you want is what you need to do and other times, probably more often than not, it isn't.

I guess if left to a choice, which is what we have, most people often take the easy way out. It's like having a high school cirriculum that you design for yourself. I think most people would make most of the classes really easy and filled with things they enjoy doing, while a very small minority would structure classes to learn the most.

It's only after you have graduated that you will fully understand if you made the right choice. Maybe you will have the opportunity to do it all again, and make different choices.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 AM

131 posts, read 312,979 times
Quote:
"quarterlife crisis"
^lol

I think I am fine in beiliveing I have no purospose and life has no puropose. There are billions of us on this planet and i think it is safe to say that there is not much chance of any of us making the slightest bit of difference to anything.but hey...thats just me

Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,469,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket View Post
^lol

I think I am fine in beiliveing I have no purospose and life has no puropose. There are billions of us on this planet and i think it is safe to say that there is not much chance of any of us making the slightest bit of difference to anything.but hey...thats just me
How optimistically pessimistic! Although I agree that most of us aren't going to make a difference, we can all at least try, right?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 AM

if at first you dont suceed at an imposible task...give up...you were stupid to try in the first place. lol.
No. I think everyones main goal in life should be, to be happy. Thats what people should aim for.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,469,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket View Post
if at first you dont suceed at an imposible task...give up...you were stupid to try in the first place. lol.
No. I think everyones main goal in life should be, to be happy. Thats what people should aim for.
I'm more of a believer in:

"If at first you don't succeed.... CHEAT!"

Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 AM

Yer that sounds good to me. And i supose that if you spend you whole life doing that...then wen us atheists do die...if it does so happen there is a god - I think we can blag our way into heaven...or out of hell however you look at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy