Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,947,987 times

Advertisements

This came up in my ethics class:

You have a patient on the board who has advanced HIV disease. The patient was brought in by a neighbor with mulitple GSW. The patient asks you NOT to transfuse then loses consiousness.

What do you do?

(btw..hi..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,084,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post

You have a patient on the board who has advanced HIV disease. The patient was brought in by a neighbor with mulitple GSW. The patient asks you NOT to transfuse then loses consiousness.

What do you do?

(btw..hi..)

I'd call 911..

Old 11-15-2007, 12:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,225,762 times
Unfortunatly, in today's world, if the patient has relatives, and you don't do everything you can to prolong his life, you may be facing a malpractice charge.

From an ethical standpoint, if the patient makes the request, I think the doctor needs to honor the request. If someone else makes the request, and he doesn't know how the patient feels, then he has to do everything he can to help.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,560,860 times
Quote:

What do you do?

(btw..hi..)
If he has multiple gunshot wounds I would have to stop the bleeding, position for shock and call 911..And let others worry about the patients request not to have a transfusion, since I couldn't do it anyway...

Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM

To clarify, the question is directed as if you were a Physician or Pysician Assistant (what my studies are for).

We're going to discuss it next Tuesday and I thought it would be interesting to get some other people's opinions.

According to what I've read so far, I interpret that you transfuse the patient and attempt to contact family to investigate a DNR Order (Do Not Rescusitate). However, in a clinical setting (as I was surprised to learn) there's a lot of leeway for what the assigned Dr. or PA can do. It's not black and white.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,830,023 times
Quote:
To clarify, the question is directed as if you were a Physician or Pysician Assistant (what my studies are for).

We're going to discuss it next Tuesday and I thought it would be interesting to get some other people's opinions.

According to what I've read so far, I interpret that you transfuse the patient and attempt to contact family to investigate a DNR Order (Do Not Rescusitate). However, in a clinical setting (as I was surprised to learn) there's a lot of leeway for what the assigned Dr. or PA can do. It's not black and white.
This is why having advanced directives before such a situation occurs is important. Even though the patient said not to tranfuse him, he was in shock and can not be held at his word in that situation (same as if he were intoxicated, drugged, sedated, etc.), he didn't sign anything so you have to transfuse him, and do anything else you can, because if he dies and you didn't then you get sued. If during the course of treating him his next of kin shows up and signs a DNR, you still have to do everything to save his life except resusitate him if he codes...so you would still transfuse him because that has nothing to do with not resusitating him, that would be not treating him. If however the next of kin shows up and says they are, for some reason, against transfusions then they can sign to decline them and you would stop any blood product infusion that was already in progress. This is assuming that the guy still hasn't woken up to give his own opinion. Good luck on the class.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
This is why having advanced directives before such a situation occurs is important. Even though the patient said not to tranfuse him, he was in shock and can not be held at his word in that situation (same as if he were intoxicated, drugged, sedated, etc.), he didn't sign anything so you have to transfuse him, and do anything else you can, because if he dies and you didn't then you get sued. If during the course of treating him his next of kin shows up and signs a DNR, you still have to do everything to save his life except resusitate him if he codes...so you would still transfuse him because that has nothing to do with not resusitating him, that would be not treating him. If however the next of kin shows up and says they are, for some reason, against transfusions then they can sign to decline them and you would stop any blood product infusion that was already in progress. This is assuming that the guy still hasn't woken up to give his own opinion. Good luck on the class.

I think you have my text book

Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,800,202 times
Quote:

What do you do?

(btw..hi..)
Quote:

Well, given the parameters you've set forth... I'd work on the patient as much as possible without a transfusion while directing someone to attempt to contact family or research a DNR. However, if it came to crunch time and the patient definately needed a transfusion to continue living, I would give the transfusion and work out the details later (if the patient survives).

You're not sure if the patient is in the right frame of mind when making the "no transfusion" statement, so I would err on the side of caution and give a transfusion only if absolutely necessary. That's me, personally.

However, based on the patient's statement, it would not be unreasonable or unethical to refuse to transfuse, as long as a second person heard the patient's wishes, while working on the patient to the best of your ability.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,830,023 times
Quote:
I think you have my text book
That and some crazy ER experiences.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:05 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,392,885 times
Well, according to my Emergency Trauma Technician training, once a person loses consciousness he is no longer able to decline treatment and the medical professional is required to do whatever is necessary to prolong life UNLESS, as Irishmom stated, there is an official written directive that has been produced stating otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy