Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

I'm going broke - as is everyone that does rescue - and I'm really thinking about getting a 501c3. I went on line and downloaded all the info they require - do you think they can make you jump through any more rings of fire?? Good grief!!!

I'm also looking into getting a new website up - I've contacted a couple people on that cost. Ouch!

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten their 501c3 for rescue work? How difficult was it? As bad as it looks? Was it worth what you went through to get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Are you part of an actual group that does rescue work; breed rescue, humane society just starting or flying solo?

If you're flying solo you'll find you have many other hoops to jump through as well; state and county will want their piece of the pie as well. Business license etc.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
I am on the board of a breed rescue and we have been a 501(c)(3) for a number of years.

It wasn't that difficult to set up. We pay an accountant to do our tax filings and 990. Everything else is done by volunteers, including the website. We file annual reports with the state, which we are required by law to do. That's about it.

You will probably need articles of incorporation, and you can find many examples online to use as templates. You will need bylaws, and you can find examples of those online, too. Record keeping and organization are important. The rest is common sense.

It really is worth it. Being a registered non-profit lends credibility to what you do and donations are tax deductible, so that helps. There are more avenues available for publicizing what you do, and as a 501 (c)(3) you are eligible to apply for grants from organizations like American Humane and the Petco Foundation.

There are many resources available online for non-profit charities which can provide you with low-cost computers, software and advice on setting up your organization and website.

Nonprofit Resource Center (http://www.not-for-profit.org/ - broken link)
Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits
How to Form a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Corporation (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/EA3D3043-9A88-43F5-8DC869639F0F6E77/111/262/ART/ - broken link)
Nonprofit Website Design - Church Web Design and Hosting - Non Profits – Fundraising Websites

Feel free to DM me if I can help in any way.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I am on the board of a breed rescue and we have been a 501(c)(3) for a number of years.

It wasn't that difficult to set up. We pay an accountant to do our tax filings and 990. Everything else is done by volunteers, including the website. We file annual reports with the state, which we are required by law to do. That's about it.

You will probably need articles of incorporation, and you can find many examples online to use as templates. You will need bylaws, and you can find examples of those online, too. Record keeping and organization are important. The rest is common sense.

It really is worth it. Being a registered non-profit lends credibility to what you do and donations are tax deductible, so that helps. There are more avenues available for publicizing what you do, and as a 501 (c)(3) you are eligible to apply for grants from organizations like American Humane and the Petco Foundation.

There are many resources available online for non-profit charities which can provide you with low-cost computers, software and advice on setting up your organization and website.

Nonprofit Resource Center (http://www.not-for-profit.org/ - broken link)
Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits
How to Form a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Corporation (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/EA3D3043-9A88-43F5-8DC869639F0F6E77/111/262/ART/ - broken link)
Nonprofit Website Design - Church Web Design and Hosting - Non Profits – Fundraising Websites

Feel free to DM me if I can help in any way.
Thank you!!

I've been doing rescue on my own, out of our own pocket for a long time now. At one point I put together a website but it got no traffic, so I kind of gave up on that. In the meantime I'm looking for someone to start a good website for me - someone that knows what they're doing as I don't! I have to get a license from the county and state I'm sure.

One of the guys at work has his own 501c3 and said he'd help me out. He's digging through all the paperwork he has for when he went through getting his done. He paid a CPA $800 to get his done and he said it's up to about $1200 now and takes about 3 months to get it all taken care of. On the other hand a friend of his has tried to go it alone and it's taken him over 2 years now. Geez! I was really hoping to avoid the whole CPA thing; I just don't have that kind of money. But if it's going to make it that much quicker I might have to see if I can scrape it together somehow. God knows we need a well run rescue in my area.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,290 times
I am trying to complete the IRS forms to apply for 501(c)(3) tax exemption, and I am running into a wall. I purchased Sandy Deja's book on the 501(c)(3) formation, but I am hoping to find someone that has a similar non-profit and would be willing to share their 501(c)(3) application with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AndGrace Canine Sanctuary

We are primarily a rescue non-profit for dogs. We already have city offices willing to write letters to hurry the issue with the IRS, and we had a donor that generously offered to pay the IRS filing fee. All I need now is a push in the right direction!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
ive thought about it but when i looked into costs, the paperwork, the documentation they want ect its just not possible for me to do it...
The sad part is they make it so hard for good people who want to do this for the right rasons to get their 501 c, yet in the mean time theres hoarders and other scary situations waving their 501's around like some kind of golden ticket (and quietly making a little money on the side from it all too) so sad.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Just a thought. In the county where you've been helping them with their shelter might the county attorney be able to steer you to someone who would do the work either pro bono or for a much reduced fee? Especially if most of the cost is not filing fees, etc., but rather the labor of the person doing the work.

Getting your 501c3 can be worth the money since you can then apply for grant money from so many places.

A humane society in the next county, in conjunction with a modest sized city in that county, got a $70,000 grant from PetSmart Foundation for spay/neuter.

How are things going at the shelter? Are you managing to recruit any volunteers?

What is it that you want to do with your website? Jazz it up or start from scratch?

We are about to do a new site since the person we've been working with has proven to be less than we'd hoped. It's been over a year and he still hasn't bothered to get our applications on line.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM

112 posts, read 279,671 times
Im interested in getting a non profit title too and making a rescue one day. Ive been looking around and its pretty hard to find some land in a easily accesible area to build one. What kind of commercial buildings do you think would be able to easily be converted into a shelter type environment. I was thinking of starting a small rescue first then eventually building the big one to save way more animals.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,764 times
What is the 1st thing to do to get started for a 501c3?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Here's a link the the IRS site:

Tax Information for Charitable Organizations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets