Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 09:00 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

i agree with what other posts have mentioned.

think "hobby" instead of "pet." don't try to touch them. and if you have the space for some hives, then yes go for it. it sounds like it could be deeply satisfying, and already is for you in many ways.

i have a new hobby (small succulent plants) and have noticed that i feel about them like they are pets. I look forward to seeing them at the end of the work day, i am fascinated with them, i can stare at them at length and notice the smallest changes from day to day, i can feel their presence when i go into the rooms where they reside. I am just acutely and intensely aware of them, and feel yes attached to them. I get excited to see them, i spend hours looking at my plants, and images online to study and learn the different varieties, plan my next purchases, and learn to best care for them. all of this is deeply satisfying and brings me a lot of pleasure.

it's strange. I've gardened for decades, and have enjoyed it. But this is a very different feel to it. Still it is my hobby. I acknowledge that I'm quite attached to the individual plants. and i can feel myself become very animated when i talk to people about it.

it is also i think a very positive enhancement to cultivate acute awareness and engagement with another living being. bees are alive. my little plants are alive. so it is a great activity or exercise or pastime that is a form of meditation and mindfulness and in my view has very positive impact on a person's not only health and well-being and delight in life, but also in their spiritual well-being growth and advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 10:41 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Bumblebees ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOsGvDDJWo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-AiN2lKDM

Old 10-03-2023, 03:57 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
We our first cool night last night in Tucson, and today, only 5 bees showed up.

I'm in the middle of reading my Bee Book, written by a Biologist, and it's not all that interesting. I did learn that female bees sting and male bees don't sting, and, overall, bees rarely sting, only when threatened. But then the book covers a whole variety of bees.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:23 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
You didn't say what kind of bees, but honey bees are livestock, not pets.

Of course, people do get attached to their livestock.

Most beekeepers make about half their money selling honey and the other half comes from renting out their hives to farmers who need their crops pollinated. Some of the crops the bees work produce negative energy for the hive (they spend more energy trying to harvest pollen and nectar than what they gain in the honey they can produce). In these situations the beekeepers must feed the hive to keep the bees from swarming and looking for more productive land to forage on. They usually feed them sugar, sugar water, or corn syrup, etc.

If honey bees are eating your watermelon etc the hive might be in a negative energy situation. They might be foraging beyond their normal range and just like an EV they need to stop and recharge along the way.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:54 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
that video someone posted about the lady with the bee she befriended is wonderful. i've never seen or heard of anything like that! plus i really liked her Scottish brogue.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:29 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
:
I would like to pet one of them, but I might be asking for trouble.
:
I would absolutely not try to pet the bees. Other species, especially wild animals - and even higher animals, often can't interpret human behavior properly. So humans, however well-intentioned they may be, are likely to be perceived as threatening, and then you'll receive the animal's defenses. Even an herbivore can inflict serious injuries or even death when defending themselves. I always try to grant wild animals a respectful amount of personal space so that they feel safe, whether that's a squirrel, a deer or a bear. This also avoids stressing the animal unduly, which can be harmful to them, even if there's no physical contact.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:13 AM

11 posts, read 7,133 times
That sound so interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets