Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 07:18 PM

297 posts, read 244,379 times

Advertisements

I don't see a forum that addresses animal welfare, so not sure if this is the place or not.

Below is a list of recommended charities for animals listing only the ones that seem non-specific to any one species, taken from charity rating sites.

I am looking for a place to donate to. If any of you have expriences with any of these that can either post positiviely or negatively about them please do. There is a lot of fraud and mismanagement in this area so I am trying to be extra careful.

search donorbox org for summary of these charities

Best Friends Animal Society
Friends of Animals (FoA)
Animal Welfare Institute
International Fund for Animal Welfare
Lady Freethinker (LFT)
For the Love of Alex Inc.
Sale Ranch Animal Sanctuary
WildAid
American Humane Society
Puppies Behind Bars

impactful ninja

ASPCA
Animal Welfare Institute
Mountain Humane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 04:40 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I'd suggest you ask folks to PM their comments. Badmouthing specifically identified organizations with controversial reputations (and a few on your list definitely have one) on public platforms could put posters at risk for libel.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-26-2023 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-27-2023, 11:35 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If you want to donate, drive over to your local animal shelter and ask them what they need. You can see where your money is going and what it is being used for. Depending upon how much you want to donate, you can donate cash, pay their electric bill, pay for food or kitty litter or paper towels, donate to the spay neuter program, and make sure your donation is actually going to help animals and not to pay big salaries or paying for advertising.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you want to donate, drive over to your local animal shelter and ask them what they need. You can see where your money is going and what it is being used for. Depending upon how much you want to donate, you can donate cash, pay their electric bill, pay for food or kitty litter or paper towels, donate to the spay neuter program, and make sure your donation is actually going to help animals and not to pay big salaries or paying for advertising.
Agree, though I would do my due diligence and check out their track record beforehand. Many local shelters are grassroots...they may not get any support from bigger name national or regional sponsors. There's a reason the old saying "think globally, act locally" became an old saying .

Old 05-27-2023, 04:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
I don't see a forum that addresses animal welfare, so not sure if this is the place or not.

Below is a list of recommended charities for animals listing only the ones that seem non-specific to any one species, taken from charity rating sites.

I am looking for a place to donate to. If any of you have expriences with any of these that can either post positiviely or negatively about them please do. There is a lot of fraud and mismanagement in this area so I am trying to be extra careful.

Friends of Animals (FoA)
Animal Welfare Institute
Lady Freethinker (LFT)
WildAid
American Humane Society
Puppies Behind Bars

impactful ninja

ASPCA
Animal Welfare Institute
Mountain Humane
I sometimes donate cash directly to individuals for spay/neuter/medical services, but the only organization I donate to is Harley's Dream because it's legit and because it addresses the root of the problem, which is puppy mills:

https://harleysdream.org

Old 05-27-2023, 06:37 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd suggest you ask folks to PM their comments. Badmouthing specifically identified organizations with controversial reputations (and a few on your list definitely have one) on public platforms could put posters at risk for libel.
Good point.

Quote:
Excellent idea! You get to actually meet the folks and decide for yourself! Personally, if I were inclined to donate to animal organizations, I would rather donate my time than my money. If you pitch in with some time, you'll get a first hand view of the organization, its morals and ethics, and of the problems. And donating my time has been how I approached this when I was actively supporting efforts.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:14 AM

297 posts, read 244,379 times
Default Thanks for the replies, I have had my eyes opened for the worse.

Well, I did some research online and determined that I probably will not donate to most of these agencies. Several have no method of contacting them to get a personal reply, you can only "donate" from their websites. They don''t want to talk to you until they see the color of your money first.

The amount of money I have to donate is not insignificant, it's part of my will, but any agency that won't talk to me will get zilch. One did answer my email but when the found out my donation was not in the 6-7 figure range and that I wanted to communicate directly with their CEO, they did not reply. Bunch of phonies really, imo. They put their OWN interests FIRST before the animals they supposedly are trying to help.

If anyone out there knows of smaller, more deserving non-species specific orgs that actually appreciate contributions and are not too important to talk to people. please let me know. I think it is really true that there are a lot of people haters among animal lovers and it shows in these agencies. Sorry if you think I am being unfair, but that's the way I see it. And don't anyone here say I was rude to them because I was not. They simply don't really care about people who don't just want to write a check before talking to them.

Thanks for the replies. tho.

Quote:

Friends of Animals (FoA)
Animal Welfare Institute
Lady Freethinker (LFT)
WildAid
American Humane Society
Puppies Behind Bars

impactful ninja

ASPCA
Animal Welfare Institute
Mountain Humane

Last edited by Steveareeno5; 06-04-2023 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 06-04-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Well, I did some research online and determined that I probably will not donate to most of these agencies. Several have no method of contacting them to get a personal reply, you can only "donate" from their websites. They don''t want to talk to you until they see the color of your money first.

The amount of money I have to donate is not insignificant, it's part of my will, but any agency that won't talk to me will get zilch. One did answer my email but when the found out my donation was not in the 6-7 figure range and that I wanted to communicate directly with their CEO, they did not reply. Bunch of phonies really, imo. They put their OWN interests FIRST before the animals they supposedly are trying to help.

If anyone out there knows of smaller, more deserving non-species specific orgs that actually appreciate contributions and are not too important to talk to people. please let me know. I think it is really true that there are a lot of people haters among animal lovers and it shows in these agencies. Sorry if you think I am being unfair, but that's the way I see it. And don't anyone here say I was rude to them because I was not. They simply don't really care about people who don't just want to write a check before talking to them.

Thanks for the replies. tho.
Glad you had your eyes opened before pledging your generous gift. Once again, if you search for a local recipient you could check them out for yourself in person.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:28 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Again, the suggestion to donate locally. I like the idea of funding a low cost spay neuter clinic. That's the best way to help unwanted stray dogs and cats, to prevent the production of unplanned oops litters. At any rate, your local humane society can use money for something they need.

If it is a chunk of money, perhaps the AKC Health Foundation where they are funding studies of canine disease. Long term benefits to greatly help with health problems of pets. Also, as a follow-on, the information gleaned can be transposed to apply to humans. They used to do fund matching, but I am not seeing any information about that, so maybe it is no longer available.

I'm suspicious of all the national fund raising by "humane" groups and all the money they spend on advertising and how they try to guilt folks into donating. I have my doubts about how much good they actually do for animals.

Some of those big national fund raising organizations don't actually spend any of that money on animals They don't have shelters and they don't rescue animals. They are political lobbying organizations that are against the keeping of pets or farm animals. You must be very careful before you donate to find out exactly what they are spending the money on.

My back-up back-up plan is to leave my money to The Scottish Deerhound Club to have them supervise the money being used by the Canine Health Organization, to make sure it is put to good use. Those are people I trust to be reliable about working for the health and welfare of dogs and who would not embezzle the money for personal gain.

Old 06-04-2023, 02:23 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:

Yes!!! This!!!
Help locally. Help your community and not some CEO to get rich!

Last edited by elnina; 06-04-2023 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets