Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2023, 02:09 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Car shopping has started and one of the things on the table is a good behind the seats cage area for a dog because........just in case, like coming across the lost dog in a rain storm and convincing them to come home with me.....just like in that car commercial of years past that is somewhat of a fairy tale.

Now, that as never happened to me, I only foster cats, so far, but if such a situation showed up, I wouldn't say no.......but hopefully if it does show up, it shows up at the ranch.

BUT, in the world of rescues, does one ever say No, No way, No how? Admittedly, there may be those that are impossible to keep for me, breeds that see cats as chew tows, cats that are FIV positive, but I wouldn't turn them away at the door, but try to find them a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 04:40 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Are you talking about picking up a stray or adopting a dog from a rescue? Very different things. Most people who have some experience with pets can figure out a way to house a stray temporarily until it can go to someone who is prepared to take care of it longer term. You do have a duty to keep your cats safe in any case. They were there first.

Have I said no to a dog rescue? All the time. If I know I can't provide the right environment/interaction for a particular dog, I won't be doing it any favors adding it to my household. Regardless of what I might want, the dog's needs have to come first. What I want is secondary. As the human, I have choices, but the dog doesn't really get a voice in that decision. It gets to deal with the result.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-13-2023 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-13-2023, 05:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Sorry, I was thinking one thing but using the other word. Or at least wasn't being clear. I will take a dog or cat in as a foster to try to find them a home.

Old 01-13-2023, 07:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
I agree that "rescue" covers a lot of territory! There is:

picking up strays
adopting a pet from a rescue organization or a pound
working for a rescue agency
working for an animal control agency (the pound)
fostering from/for a rescue agency

and maybe something I didn't think of!

Do animal control agencies say no? Nope, they can't. They are there as a legal agency, and are required to take in strays and/or unwanted animals. That doesn't mean they will keep them alive. They typically can't do that either. They say "no" to future days for unwanted animals every day.

Do rescue agencies, and the foster homes working through them say no? Every. Single. Day. There are lots of unwanted animals they know they'll never be able to adopt out. Then there are animals who don't pass the aggression tests. Plenty of rescue agencies send people to pounds to cherry pick from the intake animals. That's saying no, too.

Do people who pick up strays say no? I haven't the faintest idea. I don't know enough people like that, because in the US we don't often have strays that need picking up. See the paragraph about animal control agencies.

How about the people who adopt from rescues or pounds? Yeah, they say no, too.

Which leaves me wondering if I missed the point of what you were trying to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets