Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 09:12 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

I've never been able to figure that one out. How about you?

I've never caught any of my pets spellbound by whatever music I've played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 05:01 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
I've owned birds that vocalized more when some types of music were played but ignored other types. A cockatoo owned years ago seemed to enjoy songs with thumpy, toe tapping base. She'd start bobbing, calling, and dancing. My previous dog reacted to any music all the time. Stereo, radio, TV, whatever. If it involved human vocals, she'd start howling right along with them.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:07 AM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
My dogs like it when I sing. Nobody else does.

I had two Scottish Deerhounds who would get up off their beds and go and sit in front of the stereo every time Unchained Melody played (Righteous Brothers). When it was over, they would go and lie down again. They never did that for any other song.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:19 PM

629 posts, read 408,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've never been able to figure that one out. How about you?
Most definitely. I was sitting out by the pier listening to an oldies station with about 50 geese gathered around me, and the station was playing one of those extended clips of the Moody Blues where one song leads right into another. The geese were calm, and well behaved.

Then, the station played Kiss... Detroit Rock City, and within a minute the alpha males were enforcing their pecking order. It was comical because right up to that point I was very skeptical that hard rock inspired violent tendencies.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:24 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've owned birds that vocalized more when some types of music were played but ignored other types. A cockatoo owned years ago seemed to enjoy songs with thumpy, toe tapping base. She'd start bobbing, calling, and dancing. My previous dog reacted to any music all the time. Stereo, radio, TV, whatever. If it involved human vocals, she'd start howling right along with them.
We had a cockatiel that would whistle "Happy Birthday to You", and bob his head up and down when he heard music.

We have a female parakeet who does her best to imitate everything she hears, from phrases, to random sounds, even when she hears someone singing, it'll get her going. She "sings" along when she hears a song she likes, even though she can't carry a tune worth a diddlie. She does a version of the Muppets song ( "Mnaamnaabuppaaabahhdahhba, mnaaaabuppbaaabaadaabadaaa...) .." that's absolutely hysterical to hear, in her squeaky little budgie voice.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:27 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,678,938 times
My dog has no reaction to any kind of music being played. Then when I get out my guitar he must think I am horrible at playing it because he always gets up and goes into another room.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
No, my 18 year old Bichon/poo is deaf. But when I cough for some reason, he can hear me. He looks up at me, like "what's wrong Mom?"

Old 11-20-2022, 10:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
I play music specifically designed for cats. They seem to enjoy it because they seem really relaxed and sleepy.

Actually, they’re always like that. Never mind.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:26 PM

11,442 posts, read 5,973,383 times
My dogs were settled down by smooth music, and were irritated by rock and roll. They seemed to like my folk guitar.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:28 PM

11,442 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I play music specifically designed for cats. They seem to enjoy it because they seem really relaxed and sleepy.

Actually, they’re always like that. Never mind.
Dogs sleep 16 hours a day. Cats sleep 22 hours a day. Fact. It is amazing how much cats sleep. You probably don't have to hunt/eat much to survive when you sleep that much. Man, nature is cool.

So how come I have to walk every day when a cat can sleep 22 hours a day and still be in top physical condition? Much jealousy.

Dogs are weird. They sleep 16 hours a day. They are up and active for 4 hours a day. The other 4, they are in an alert but calm, restful state. Just laying on the floor or in their crate, but watching everthing that is going on. Nothing gets by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets