Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 09:37 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times

Advertisements

My DH and I have been fostering dogs for various rescues since 2005. Until 2015, we also had 2 personal dogs. So, sometimes we had as many as 4-5 dogs in our household. Then life changed. Our personal dogs died, we retired and we moved to an urban condo. So we only fostered a single dog at a time when we weren’t enjoying a lot of travel.

In 2017 we got a bit tired of urban condo life in our setting and began the search for a 55+ community where there were many opportunities to join clubs, etc. And we moved from condo back to a house in an active senior community; and continued to foster dogs for various rescue groups. We love dogs, but also love to travel so fostering was our solution. Then the pandemic occurred and our local shelter had so many people wanting dogs they were no longer giving dogs to rescue groups.

I follow many FB rescue groups and one group had posted their outrage about a dog who needed medical treatment and the shelter had her up for adoption. The risk was that some adopter would get her for $60 shelter fee and never commit to the $800 worth of dental work needed. So DH and I went down to the shelter, adopted her and spent the $850 for all her medical and grooming needs and then posted her for adoption with one of the groups we volunteer with. They posted her as a courtesy for us. Well, applications rolled in but this dog was pretty unadoptable. She rejected all people and all dogs. She snarled and trembled and hid under furniture. At only 6 lbs and extremely shy, we simply couldn’t find the right adopter — who didn’t either just want to dress her up in dog clothes or hand her over to their kids to play with. She acted like a feral dog, except she was obviously potty trained. So, this little Pomeranian is still with us 2 year later.

Now that the world has opened up again, we have lots of travel plans. But this shy, very sweet little dog makes it so difficult for us. And after 2 years, my DH has fallen in love with her. I love her, too, but am fine with the idea of finding her a new owner, as I have fostered about 100 dogs over the years. Since we live in a 55+ community, I was thinking perhaps I could find someone to share this dog with! We could alternate months and when either of us had travel plans we would have the other to keep the dog. Is this a crazy idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 10:35 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's possible. In a 55 community there must be other people who love dogs but also want to travel. Or maybe someone who would be happy to pet sit for a few weeks but not own a dog full time.

Another possibility is that you could take the dog with you when you travel. A Pom should be able to fit under the seat on a plane and fly with you. It's a lot of extra work to vacation with dogs, but I always felt it was worth the extra effort and if I travel without them, I keep thinking about how they would enjoy some of the aspects of the trip and I miss them a lot.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:57 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
We have been taking her but we go Backpacking and on international cruises. We have been using pet sitting but we go so frequently it’s such a hassle to make arrangements and costly too.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:45 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
My FIRST thought was WIERD. But then I read your situation. Now? Not so wierd.

But you've nailed the problem, no matter what you try - the dog. It's likely the dog would adapt to a good family - one where her needs were met - and she had time to get used to the new folks (likely months). So, "time-share" might broaden the dog's social horizons, given time. IDK.

I'd say use your own judgement and intuition. It's not like you don't have any idea of what you're doing here - rather the opposite. Good luck finding an answer!

Old 08-06-2022, 12:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
It depends on the dog. For an Eskimo, like I have, that would be a highly undesirable situation. These are one-person dogs.

Pomeranians have nearly the exact same DNA as American Eskimos. Spitz breeds tend to be ... not like labs or golden retrievers when it comes to making friends and fitting in with everyone and anyone.

The dog would be far better off being rehomed altogether than shuffled between you and another person/couple every month.

Spitz breeds do best with a lot of consistent structure, and even small variations in household routine/rules aren't advisable.

Someone will come along with an anecdote about a Pomeranian that was the life of the party and loved everyone and everything and all other dogs and even children, but keep in mind that C-D anecdotes are....C-D anecdotes and thus require a pretty liberal helping of salt.

I would absolutely not do this, particularly with a Spitz breed, especially one that's clearly been through a lot. I'd stick with one top-quality boarding kennel (or pet sitter, if you must) for when you travel and don't want to take the dog with you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-06-2022 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-06-2022, 04:12 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Another possibility is that you could take the dog with you when you travel. A Pom should be able to fit under the seat on a plane and fly with you.
Doesn't sound like a dog that would enjoy the changes involved in travel. Unfamiliar sights, scents, sounds, people, etc. Even travelling with "her" people, it might stress her out more than staying in one or even two familiar surroundings.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:45 PM

453 posts, read 300,999 times
Poster dog for pandemic buyer's remorse. WHAT were you thinking?

NO. It's mean. And will result in an even WORSE psychologically screwed up dog.

You know they already have trouble reading one human mind, right?

Find the dog a real home with an experienced dedicated person permanently. You obviously weren't able to rehabilitate her. WHAT in the world will happen being tossed around between TWO families???

Old 08-28-2022, 02:19 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Poster dog for pandemic buyer's remorse. WHAT were you thinking?

NO. It's mean. And will result in an even WORSE psychologically screwed up dog.

You know they already have trouble reading one human mind, right?

Find the dog a real home with an experienced dedicated person permanently. You obviously weren't able to rehabilitate her. WHAT in the world will happen being tossed around between TWO families???
Did you even bother reading the OP? Doesn't seem like it, since these people SAVED the dog as a FOSTER. And they've been TRYING to find her a PERMANENT home, but so far nobody has been a MATCH.

Since you like using capital words for emphasis, maybe that will help?

Old 08-28-2022, 07:24 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I would definitely take her when you went on vacation and I bet you could find a senior in your development that feels the same.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:18 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I can't imagine that a dog who's anxious around and rejects other people is going to fare well being shuffled between people. And I can't imagine adopting such a dog on a part-time basis will be much more appealing to people than to do so permanently, that you'd have much better chance at finding someone. IOW: your issues are that the dog won't tolerate anyone besides you, and no one else wants this dog. "Time sharing" isn't going to solve those problems.

Then there are the issues like: what happens if the other people eventually back out? Who pays the vet bills, food and other necessities, and what if the two families disagree on veterinary care? What if they don't agree with each other's "dog parenting" styles?

Sometimes having a dependent pet requires some tough decisions and sacrifices. Trust me, I know. Life doesn't always work out the way you planned or wanted it to. How old is the dog? How long until she's gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets