Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 01:00 PM

858 posts, read 680,594 times

Advertisements

Welcome to pet ownership and being responsible for another living creature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 07:27 PM

2,638 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Some of what you said was so funny but not the gross parts. Yep pets get all kinds of sick just like us and I completely understand your venting.

I never had a dog as an adult but hope to someday. I had a cat for 10 years before she went over the rainbow I learned then that they always pick the carpet to get sick on. I miss her so much.

I ended up adopting two kittens oh do I ever know what you mean with all the chasing around they do. They were 5 months old when I adopted them. Night time was their favorite time to play. I ended up with a condo with hardwood floors and tiles what a relief with then two senior cats.

I put every single toy out in the living room floor for them to play with when I slept. I put extra bowls of cool water and two different flavors of cold wet cat food with dry food in their bowls. When cats play they need to eat afterwards to mimic the hunt. I kept them inside 24/7 to keep them safe. I lost so many cats when I was a child that I swore when I grew up no one would make me force my cat to go outside and get hit by a car or eaten by a dog, coyote.

I made the right decision they were all so happy with me and I had peace of mind. Well until the idiots above me decided to do construction work in their condo and the HOA asshat did nothing to stop them.

I hope you have many happy years with your furbabies.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
I think I would just buy a new trash can. As for the puppies, if one is having potty issues, it might be worth a trip to the vet especially after their encounter with the dinosaur wildlife.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:24 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
It's not really funny to me. If your dogs have diarrhea, it's not normal. The runs is a symptomThey are sick and need vet care. It's actually your own fault you had to clean up after them. That's just part of the responsibilities of a pet owner.

Here are some of the most common reasons for diarrhea in dogs and they are serious:
  • Eating garbage or spoiled food
  • Medications such as antibiotics
  • Stress or anxiety
  • Intestinal cancer
  • Colitis
  • Pancreatitis
  • Change in treats or overall diet
  • Ingesting poisons or toxins
  • Ingestion of foreign objects such as fabric, bones and toys
  • Viral infections such as distemper, coronavirus or parvovirus
  • Liver or kidney disease
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Parasites — Giardia, coccidia, whipworms, roundworms or hookworms
  • Bacterial infections, including salmonella

Old 08-04-2022, 03:39 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,046,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It's not really funny to me. If your dogs have diarrhea, it's not normal. The runs is a symptomThey are sick and need vet care. It's actually your own fault you had to clean up after them. That's just part of the responsibilities of a pet owner.

Here are some of the most common reasons for diarrhea in dogs and they are serious:
  • Eating garbage or spoiled food
  • Medications such as antibiotics
  • Stress or anxiety
  • Intestinal cancer
  • Colitis
  • Pancreatitis
  • Change in treats or overall diet
  • Ingesting poisons or toxins
  • Ingestion of foreign objects such as fabric, bones and toys
  • Viral infections such as distemper, coronavirus or parvovirus
  • Liver or kidney disease
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Parasites — Giardia, coccidia, whipworms, roundworms or hookworms
  • Bacterial infections, including salmonella

Oh good grief! Every dog I've ever had has had occasional diarrhea at some point without anything being wrong. And I'm sure most of us have been awakened in the middle of the night with the sound of impending vomit on the carpet.

I certainly wouldn't run to the vet unless a pattern developes.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:55 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Why do we put up with pets?

Because when we are down and feeling lousy, your dog will come over and put his head in your lap and just stay there, transferring his warmth and love to you.
I agree. Yesterday, after my second cataract surgery, I was sitting on the chaise in my bedroom and my boy cat and my late sister's cat came and lay said-by-side on my lap to comfort me. They're the best!

Old 08-04-2022, 05:59 AM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Oh good grief! Every dog I've ever had has had occasional diarrhea at some point without anything being wrong. And I'm sure most of us have been awakened in the middle of the night with the sound of impending vomit on the carpet.

I certainly wouldn't run to the vet unless a pattern developes.
It was only a matter of time before the naysayers stepped up.

Kathryn, wasn’t one of your dogs also the cause of your elbow misfortune?

Old 08-04-2022, 06:00 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Some of what you said was so funny but not the gross parts. Yep pets get all kinds of sick just like us and I completely understand your venting.

I never had a dog as an adult but hope to someday. I had a cat for 10 years before she went over the rainbow I learned then that they always pick the carpet to get sick on. I miss her so much.

I ended up adopting two kittens oh do I ever know what you mean with all the chasing around they do. They were 5 months old when I adopted them. Night time was their favorite time to play. I ended up with a condo with hardwood floors and tiles what a relief with then two senior cats.

I put every single toy out in the living room floor for them to play with when I slept. I put extra bowls of cool water and two different flavors of cold wet cat food with dry food in their bowls. When cats play they need to eat afterwards to mimic the hunt. I kept them inside 24/7 to keep them safe. I lost so many cats when I was a child that I swore when I grew up no one would make me force my cat to go outside and get hit by a car or eaten by a dog, coyote.

I made the right decision they were all so happy with me and I had peace of mind. Well until the idiots above me decided to do construction work in their condo and the HOA asshat did nothing to stop them.

I hope you have many happy years with your furbabies.
That's so true about cats always picking the carpet to get sick on. My Russian Blue will run through the entire downstairs with hardwood floors to get to the enclosed front porch with outdoor carpet before she pukes. It's (almost) amusing.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My dogs kill a lot of possums in my yard. I've got it down to a science. Gloves, so as not to touch it, trash bag that gets tied off, lift into bag by tail, tie off bag.
Oh my dogs have killed several possums over the years. I agree with your technique. But this particular armadillo was frankly HUGE. I broke my dominant arm elbow last year and I just could not get this thing into a bag! Much bigger than any of the possums. And much heavier. And more unwieldy with that stupid tail and all that. UGH.

Also, they have claws. I was freaking out!!!!!! There is not one cute thing about them.

Plus this particular armadillo was so scared when it was killed - it had diarrhea all over my back patio. Good times!!!!

Old 08-04-2022, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I think I would just buy a new trash can. As for the puppies, if one is having potty issues, it might be worth a trip to the vet especially after their encounter with the dinosaur wildlife.
No further issues, thank goodness. UGH!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets