Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2022, 01:57 PM

585 posts, read 494,814 times

Advertisements

He is a 4 year old chihuahua Boston Terrier mix. He always ate a half cup in the morning and half at night with no problem at all. Our other dog passed in March but it didn’t seem to phase him much so I don’t think that has to do with it. I am usually home with him and in the last few weeks he would shake uncontrollably every time he’s heard the garbage trucks. If he was outside while he heard them he would pull me inside. The not eating only seemed to be delayed a few hours when he heard the trucks. Now whenever he hears any truck pass by or construction which is happening near by he just shakes and stares at the door. Sometimes I don’t hear anything but I assume he must because he just shakes and lays on the couch or floor. The last few days he barely ate. Maybe a quarter of his food and drank very little water. He ate a small treat but his kibble he almost seems afraid of. No throwing up or diarrhea and is his normal hyper self in the evening when my husband is home but the last few days he has barely eaten. We are taking him to the vet but any idea if this is emotional? I know he has a chipped tooth but the recent vet visit said just to monitor it.

Last edited by Layden85; 06-14-2022 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 01:29 AM

12 posts, read 11,395 times
Your dog's conduct could be caused by whatever he or she is feeling. It's crucial to take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have any health problems that could be making him anxious. If there isn't a physical cause, it could be emotional, and the vet can talk to him about ways to deal with his nervousness.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,095 times
It's possible that the noise from the garbage trucks and construction has triggered fear or discomfort in your dog. Losing your other dog could also have had an impact on his emotional well-being, even if it didn't seem obvious at first.
It's great that you're planning to take your dog to the vet, as they will be able to provide a proper diagnosis and guidance. The vet may examine your dog for any physical issues that could be causing the decreased appetite, such as dental problems from the chipped tooth. They may also evaluate your dog's behavior and suggest ways to address the anxiety or stress he's experiencing.

In the meantime, here are a few suggestions you could try:

Create a safe space: Set up a designated area in your home where your dog feels secure and comfortable. Provide a cozy bed, some familiar toys, and a soft blanket. This can serve as a retreat when he feels anxious.

Reduce exposure to triggers: If possible, try to minimize your dog's exposure to the noise triggers that seem to unsettle him. For example, close the windows or use background noise (such as calming music) to mask the sounds.

Positive reinforcement: Encourage your dog to eat by using positive reinforcement techniques. Offer small, tasty treats as rewards for eating his kibble, and praise him when he shows interest in his food.

Maintain a routine: Stick to a consistent feeding schedule and daily routine to help your dog feel more secure. Dogs often thrive on predictability, so maintaining a structured environment can be beneficial.

Remember, these are just general suggestions, and it's important to consult with a veterinarian for a proper evaluation and specific advice tailored to your dog's needs. They will be able to provide you with the best guidance and treatment options to help your dog overcome his anxiety and regain his appetite.

I found this article for your help on dog diarrhea: https://animaliaplanet.com/when-is-dog-diarrhea-an-emergency

Old 05-23-2023, 09:07 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Did your other dog pass peacefully? No incident with garbage trucks or other large vehicles? Could the remaining dog have had any kind of stressful encounter or accident involving a truck, or perhaps one the sanitation personnel? There are pet psychologists out there, who seem to be able to work wonders in some cases...

Old 05-23-2023, 01:48 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Have the vet recheck his teeth to be on the safe side.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
FYI, this originally was posted nearly a year ago - and the OP is no longer even a member of the forums.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:15 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did your other dog pass peacefully? No incident with garbage trucks or other large vehicles? Could the remaining dog have had any kind of stressful encounter or accident involving a truck, or perhaps one the sanitation personnel? There are pet psychologists out there, who seem to be able to work wonders in some cases...
This is what I was going to ask too. And about his teeth as SpringfieldVA brought up.

I am curious was the loud noise there when the other dog was still living? Maybe his dog brother/sister helped to keep him calm but now that he no longer has his dog sibling you notice the anxiety more. Eating less is a absolute reason to get to the vet right away.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:40 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
This is what I was going to ask too. And about his teeth as SpringfieldVA brought up.

I am curious was the loud noise there when the other dog was still living? Maybe his dog brother/sister helped to keep him calm but now that he no longer has his dog sibling you notice the anxiety more. Eating less is a absolute reason to get to the vet right away.
Read post #6.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:40 AM

11 posts, read 16,259 times
Although this is a forum that will never be read by such people, don't put it past selfish, lazy-in-the head, idiotic (and I say this in it's full, honest sense) dog owners to kill their own dogs (especially very small ones) by spraying insecticide throughout the house (because its easier to do this rather than clean up the mess that attracted a migration of bugs and ants).
The little dog(s) loiter at the feet of the dinner table while scraps are dropped further aggravating the problem. I was walking their dog on the weekends (and sometimes weekdays) and each time, I would wash her paws because I know she would clean them (by licking her own paws) before she slept. Explaining the possible cause-effect of insecticide use without cleaning does not get through. She was eating less and less of her kibble. I thought they were 'acting stupid' to get attention or to garner sympathy but this spring I left for a month thinking logic and common sense for these people would kick in on my absence, and sure as the sun sets, the dog died of 'kidney/liver failure'. It is unforgettable and unforgiveable. When you see consistent acts of idiocy and laziness that makes no logical sense, it is who they are. I am only glad I wasn't here to see the final deterioration and suffering. I do so dearly miss 'Wata's' (my nickname for her) occasional company and companionship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets