Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 06:16 AM

117 posts, read 93,242 times

Advertisements

Normashirley, I wish I knew where you got your material. This is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRs0OqV4uSc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 06:19 AM

117 posts, read 93,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
do not get a dog from a breeder whatever you do..get one from a shelter..there are way too many dogs in shelters..dog breeders are evil people..they are only in it for the money..if you are dog breeder, I'm talking to you..
I will definitely heed your advice, and I agree.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:22 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
Adopting from a shelter or rescue is a good start but since you have specific behaviors in mind it would probably be best if you worked with a group that utilizes fosters. The foster will have had the dog in their house and they'll be able to give you first hand knowledge of the dog's behavior. There are no guarantees as to how a dog will behave once it's in your home so please be flexible in your expectations and willing to work on any imperfections (not meant as snark.)

I'm a long time volunteer in the shelter/rescue/foster world so I understand the blowback you're getting with your list - my first reaction to your post was not positive. My advice is to go into your search with an open mind and an open heart. You might be surprised at how your "must have" can turn into a "we can work on that." Good luck with your search and keep us posted

Old 04-10-2022, 07:33 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Adopting from a shelter or rescue is a good start but since you have specific behaviors in mind it would probably be best if you worked with a group that utilizes fosters. The foster will have had the dog in their house and they'll be able to give you first hand knowledge of the dog's behavior. There are no guarantees as to how a dog will behave once it's in your home so please be flexible in your expectations and willing to work on any imperfections (not meant as snark.)

I'm a long time volunteer in the shelter/rescue/foster world so I understand the blowback you're getting with your list - my first reaction to your post was not positive. My advice is to go into your search with an open mind and an open heart. You might be surprised at how your "must have" can turn into a "we can work on that." Good luck with your search and keep us posted
This is a great suggestion! I love and grew up with dogs, but have only had once since I moved out on my own. Over the years I considered a dog a few times. Then I started watching friends dogs, and realized just how much work they are. So now I have the best of both worlds, I get to spend time with dogs I love, but I don't have to worry about poop in my yard or all the other work (I just have a crazy schedule that doesn't always agree with living with a dog)

If you could foster for awhile, you'd get a real feel for what living with a dog is and maybe even find your perfect dog, which would be a win for both of you

Old 04-10-2022, 07:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
A virtual dog

Old 04-10-2022, 07:48 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Maltese

Old 04-10-2022, 08:55 AM

17,400 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Maybe a Greyhound? I've never owned one but, from what I understand of the breed, they are fairly easy to manage. I mention them not to encourage that you get one but it might be a breed to look into based on your requirements.

Retriever puppies, whether they are golden or lab, are going to be chewers. As others have said, all puppies go through a chewing phase but retrievers are pretty notorious for it. We've had 3 dogs - a Golden, Staffy mix and a German Shepherd and our Golden was by far the biggest chewer of the 3.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:29 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Other factors no one has mentioned yet and they have more to do with YOU OP.

How much exercise are you willing to provide for this dog?
Do you expect the dog to run miles of trails with you or must it be happy on the couch when you're off work?
Will you expect it to provide you with agility champion pride or reflected glory?
Will you want to take it along everywhere or relegate it to a crate at home so your car's upholstery stays cleaner? Not all dogs enjoy car trips or being left alone in a car while you shop.
Should it not mind if you are gone long hours every day?
How much actual time will you want to spend interacting with the dog? Will it simply be a friendly presence in your house or do you want to spend a lot of time/effort (challenge) teaching, training, focused on it?
Be flexible/tolerant enough to take to a kennel if you need to travel frequently?
How interactive do you want the dog to be? There are needy more slavish dogs, "velcro" or shadow dogs that won't let you go to the bathroom by yourself, and there are dogs who are pretty content just to know you're alive somewhere.

Suggest you really evaluate what you expect from a dog as an interactive social creature. A bad fit will result in a very high maintenance pet no matter how healthy the breed or how wash and wear its coat is.

I agree with Parnassia on this. Answering these questions will guide what dog to recommend.
It may even be that a cat/cats would be a better fit. I've always enjoyed my dogs more than when I had a cat (was not at the same time). There was a period of my life when the cat was a great fit, but I could not have given a dog the care that they need.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:40 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
I'm looking for advice, based on the experience of dog-owners' here, on what are the most easiest to manage dogs to own.
Then you should consider buying a stuffed dog from a taxidermist.

You can even throw some newspaper or paper towels on the floor and set it on top of that to make it look like a real dog.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:41 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
The easiest dog to own is A WELL-TRAINED DOG. The owners' knowledge and behavior is far more responsible for their dog's behavior and ease of ownership than the breed, size, temperament, etc of the dog. Start training your dog the minute you bring him home. If you don't want him on the couch as an adult, then don't let him on the couch as a puppy, get down on the floor to play with him. If you don't want him to chew on furniture, then give him an appropriate chew toy when he puts his mouth on any wrong thing. If you want him to be calm when strangers arrive, then calmly put him in his place (crate, or whatever) when the doorbell rings, and give him a treat for being calm and quiet, etc, etc, etc. Training a pup is a change in lifestyle for the humans and requires consistency, rewards for positive behavior, and understanding of "dog psychology", which can be learned by reading a few books or visiting with a qualified trainer for help. It's rarely the dog's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets