Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 02:00 PM

7,361 posts, read 4,142,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans undertale View Post
I'm selling my house in Myrtle Beach and I've decided that I wanna live off-grid in a RV. I would also like a loyal companion to keep me company. Should I get a cat, or would I be better off with a dog?

Bonus: What breed should I get?

Criteria:
  • Has to be fine with not going outside sometimes
  • Does it's thing outside, no litterboxes (know a guy who's cat goes outside)
  • Big, soft coat to be protected from the cold
  • Loves to snuggle
  • Friendly to it's owner
  • Protective
  • Doesn't smell bad
Please do not get a pet - any pet.

1) Puppies need consistent schedule and location to be potty trained. Moving about will not be conductive to potty training. Puppies need to be walked every couple of hours which means your driving schedule will have to revolve around them. Also you will have to search for a quiet place for them to go. You just can't plop down on the side of a highway and expect them to go.

2) Young puppies need to be isolated until all the vaccines are done.

3) In any warm weather area (over 60 degrees), you'll have to run the A/C non stop for a cat or dog.

Quote:
Every year, dogs suffer and die when their guardians make the mistake of leaving them in a parked car—even for “just a minute”—while they run an errand. Parked cars are death traps for dogs: On a 70-degree day, the temperature inside one can soar to 99 degrees in 20 minutes, and on a 90-degree day, the interior temperature can reach as high as 109 degrees in just 10 minutes.

Animals can sustain brain damage or even die from heatstroke in just 15 minutes. Beating the heat is extra tough for dogs because they can only cool themselves by panting.
https://www.peta.org/issues/animal-c...s/dog-hot-car/

You will be tied to the RV nonstop.

4) Dogs are territorial animals who dislike noise and change.

Quote:
Noisy parades, loud music, neighborhood picnics, and, of course, fireworks, –these summertime traditions are all great fun for people, but they are traumatic and dangerous to their pets. More pets run away from home over the Fourth of July holiday than any other.
https://lostdogsofamerica.org/catego...ourth-of-july/

Quote:
Lost Dogs Illinois/Lost Dogs Of Wisconsin offers the following tips to keep pets feeling safe and secure when during fireworks or thunderstorms.

Take your pet for a walk or play date before the fireworks start. This allows your dog to exercise, release energy and, of course, go “potty”.

Keep pets indoors. They may even feel safer if they are placed in a smaller interior room with a radio/tv playing.

Close your windows. Dogs, in particular, can try and get out of the house by pushing out the screen. Dogs have been known to bolt through screen doors so keep your inside door closed.

Resist the urge to take your dog to the local Independence parade and festivities. Loud, crowded activities are no fun for your pets.

Check your fence line for loose boards or openings that your dog could slip through or dig out of. We suggest during these activities, you even keep a leash on your dog and walk him/her in the fenced yard.
https://lostdogsofamerica.org/1350-2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 05:31 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
I am a cat person through and through but for your requirement I think a dog would be good.

The size of your RV makes a difference in the size of dog you adopt.

I suggest a Beagle because is just the right size; not too big and not too small.. Bred for fox hunting, they are full of energy and love company. Very good family dog. But they bark a lot because they are so excitable.
My personal choice for your situation is a laid-back lab.

With a dog you will have to take it for a walk everyday to maintain mental and physical health. You will have to scoop poop.

Get something with a short fur coat, medium size.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Look up “adventure cats” to see how cats are not all alike (nor dogs).

I’ve seen people walking cats and rabbits on leash and harness. It can be done.

If it were me making that choice, I’d pick a kitten and start getting it used to being a buddy right away, including leashed walks outdoors and road travel. And eating different kinds of foods.

But really, my favorite fantasy is having a pet crow riding shoulder/shotgun, like the guy who posted a video of his talking fledgling keenly observing everything they drove by.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZD40r-Nj70&noapp=1

Old 09-27-2021, 06:09 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
Cats don't seem to like travel or change,I'd choose a dog.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:07 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
I'm selling my house in Myrtle Beach and I've decided that I wanna live off-grid in a RV. I would also like a loyal companion to keep me company. Should I get a cat, or would I be better off with a dog?

Criteria:
  • Loves to snuggle
  • Friendly to it's owner
  • Protective
  • Doesn't smell bad
Dog. A couple reasons. They give you added security in case someone is prowling around your RV. They will hear what you may not. Barking may be annoying but you will be safe. And they are more apt to enjoy being on the road. Cats get a little neurotic. And I like both dogs and cats. And getting a cat to just go outside. Sure it can be done but good luck on that.

Breeds? Not too big a dog. Even a big RV is pretty small. A big dog takes up a lot of space.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:11 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
If you have no experience with a pet, being off grid in an RV is not the time to start.

At that, do not get a cat.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:30 AM

Just know an animal is a lifelong commitment. My previous dog had diabetes which required insulin injections every 12 hours for years. My present dog is 13 years old and in great health.

Dogs live can live up to 18 years and cats can live for 25 years.

Can you make a commitment for 18 or 25 years?

Old 09-28-2021, 07:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,426,651 times
Lots of good info here - would also keep in mind that if you get a dog, there are steep steps getting in & out of the RV - not all small dogs can do steep steps but at the same time, Id be tempted to go w/ a smaller dog than a larger one for the simple reason they take up less floor space (as someone else posted). Would also not get a young, high-energy dog - they need exercise (running, not so much walking although that's good too) so unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time in dog parks or taking your new dog to doggie daycare (which add$ up), a middle-aged dog might be doable - but to be honest, would probably hold off til you have the RV and have that figured out etc

Old 09-28-2021, 10:31 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Quote:

Criteria:
  • Loves to snuggle
  • Friendly to it's owner
  • Protective
  • Doesn't smell bad
You can train a cat to use a toilet in your camper.
Outside cat could be snatched by the wild life, a small dog too, even medium/large size dog is vulnerable to a pack of coyotes.

You won’t be able to do anything about it even if you witness it.

Shooting could be futile sometimes or not even allowed everywhere. (Make sure to know gun laws when crossing state lines and plan ahead accordingly)
A critically wounded dog even if saved by you could be very distressing if you are in remote area without an easy access to a vet at odd hours. Get a list of 24 hour animal hospitals in every state you go
Learn the first aid

Old 10-01-2021, 09:02 AM

As a note - As a person with both a dog and a cat. Cleaning the litter box is about the same as picking up doggie poop. No place will allow a dog to poop without the owner cleaning it up. In some ways, a litter box is easier to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets