Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 09:41 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I would take the cat, I have zero care of people who do not pay attention to their animals like this.

That's the Russian way))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 09:45 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This cat is not really the type of cat the neighbors want...apparently. Is there any way to talk to them and see if you can have their cat and replace it with a feral cat from a rescue?

We know, there are cats who enjoy hunting and do not need people. This type of cat would prefer to be ignored.

I’d take the cat in, and if the neighbors ask, I’d say that it came in and doesn’t want to leave the house. Say, “I would be glad to find you a barn cat at the animal rescue, if you’ll allow me to keep this one.” What are they going to do, take you to court for alienation of affection?

Yes these people need to be explained the difference, apparently so.

And if it comes to the court, there will be witnesses around to stand by the neglected animal I'm sure.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:39 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
The cat stays outside all day, by herself. She will go to any neighbor she sees, even coming in a garage to find someone if she hears a person talking. She's come in our garage and our neighbors. We never see the family outside with her. When they occasionally come outside to play with each other, not her, its for 20 minutes max. They go in the house and leave her outside. Every night at 5pm, they go out looking for her. Every few days, they seem to not find her. So they go in the house without finding her. We live in woods where coyotes and wild cats roam. They don't spend long looking for her. They don't seem concerned when she doesn't show.
I think it sounds like you are spending far too much time keeping tabs on the activities of your neighbors.

Since your mother is clearly longing for a cat, you should go to your local animal shelter and adopt one of the cats there that is in need of a home. If you are lonely as well, adopt a cat for your house, too. That would be an actual, concrete way to make a difference in the life of a real animal who needs a home. Lucy already has a home. You may not approve of her cat-parents, but as she's not truly being abused it is none of your business.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I would take the cat, I have zero care of people who do not pay attention to their animals like this.
But who would feed the cat while you are in jail?

Old 04-02-2021, 12:59 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Maybe you could work out a deal with your neighbor; you locate an antisocial barn cat, and trade for the friendly kitty. Everyone's happy, including the cats.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
My family has had inside cats for as long as I remember. We are cat lovers and always treat them with love, care, and respect. They are members of our family.

My parents cat, our family cat, passed away last year. They don't have any animals currently.

Recently, when I went to visit my parents, we spent the day outside on their deck. We saw in the distance the neighbors the father and his two kids come outside to play. It's a family of four- husband, wife, two kids. They mainly keep to themselves.

We also noticed a cat running around them. They paid little attention to it. It wandered into our yard and eventually right up to us. I could tell it was friendly. I went over and started petting it and it was the nicest kitty. It looked little too, like an older kitten. I was loving petting it and it wanted the love. The neighbors played for maybe 10 minutes then came over to our property border as I was petting the cat. It's their outdoor cat, an older kitten named Lucy. My mother asked a couple questions about it, but they were very awkward.

They were very awkward and anti social. Not wanting the cat back, just kind of standing there.

They then turn and walk away leaving the cat with us in our yard. The cat is loving all the attention.

I'm starting to love the cat. So is my mother who was hurt most by the death of her cat last year.

Now the neighbors go inside. The cat sticks to us like glue. Follows me around the yard, up onto the deck, wants love like it never gets any. Nicest cat I've ever met.

I eventually have to go in the house, but am horrified that the cat sits looking in our window at us from outside. It wants to be with us. We didn't feed it or anything.

It's heartbreaking.

We find out from another neighbor that the owners got the cat, stick it in their barn all night alone to ward off mice, and let it roam outside all day alone. This sane neighbor says the cat loves him up too, because it's sad and lonely. The owners don't let the cat in their house and don't give it attention. The cat wants love.

My parents and I are horrified that this beautiful nice cat gets no love. It's also dangerous. We live on a busy busy street, so the cat could get hurt.

Every night Lucy's owner comes outside, shakes food, and looks for the cat to put in the barn for the night. We can tell that they often don't find the cat. They never call her, just look and look for her. Some nights we notice she never comes. They don't keep good tabs on her and they just go in their house, not caring.

Recently, another neighbor saw her, with no collar, saw how nice she was, and took her to the animal hospital in town thinking she was a stray. The owners found out and went and got her back. Now she has a collar.

We saw last night that the husband owner was out there shaking the food, to no avail. She never came. It's horrifying that they adopted a cat, only to live in a barn all night alone, and outside all day, alone.

The cat goes neighbor to neighbor looking for love and affection. She let me pet her all over, jumped in my lap to cuddle, and just wanted to be with me. She belongs inside a safe home with people like my parents.

They love her and look for her everyday. All the neighbors hate the cats family because they give her no attention and she wanders to our houses looking for it.

Is there anything that could be done?

We would never steal someone's cat, but boy do we want to.
I would totally steal that cat.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Maybe you could work out a deal with your neighbor; you locate an antisocial barn cat, and trade for the friendly kitty. Everyone's happy, including the cats.
Great idea! Many shelters practically GIVE away feral "barn cats."

Old 04-02-2021, 01:34 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This cat is not really the type of cat the neighbors want...apparently. Is there any way to talk to them and see if you can have their cat and replace it with a feral cat from a rescue?

We know, there are cats who enjoy hunting and do not need people. This type of cat would prefer to be ignored.

I’d take the cat in, and if the neighbors ask, I’d say that it came in and doesn’t want to leave the house. Say, “I would be glad to find you a barn cat at the animal rescue, if you’ll allow me to keep this one.” What are they going to do, take you to court for alienation of affection?
I completely agree with this. Just put it out there and tell them how much you and your parents love the cat and that she is too social and friendly to be a barn cat and they'd be better off with a rescue feral (or, better yet, a couple of rescue ferals so they can keep each other company). Considering they have no interest in interacting with the cat, ferals who are bascially wild and have no interest in people should suit them better anyway.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:52 PM

They COULD take them to court for theft; animals are considered property under the law (unfortunately).

Old 04-02-2021, 02:56 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Can't believe there's people here encouraging the OP to steal someones cat, w/ out even knowing if the OP is telling the truth.

Get your own cat. Theres plenty of precious babies out there that need to be adopted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets