Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Our dogs have mostly been females. Boy dogs like to hump things/people and no thanks to that. The one male dog we had was an escape artist who we couldn't manage to keep in our yard despite many measures and costly approaches that didn't work. Sadly he got out one too many times and got run over. After that we stuck to female dogs and not labradors.

What about chickens? Do you like roosters? We are often looking for someplace to donate excess roosters. We usually want 1 or two. One to be the king and champion defender and keep the hens in control, one to be bait. It also helps to mix blood if we let them hatch chicks. Beyond that, they are pests and we are frequently trying to get rid of roosters. I suppose we could just eat them, but I really hate killing things.

We have had mostly male dogs. 4/6. Never had any problem with them humping anything. We always have them neutered right away though. I could see humping being a huge problem with our dogs. They were rather large ranging from 150 pounds to about 215. Maybe they were dissuaded by our family (mostly women). When any of our dogs displayed his organ, they would yell "Eeew - put that away" at the dog, and he would, or they would put him out in the dog room for a while. Perhaps that is a precursor to humping and the non-tolerance of it dissuaded any humping.

We did have problems at dog parks. For some reason, small dogs see a big dog and get desperate to hump it. Sometimes our dogs would have a train of little dogs chasing our dogs around trying to hump them. Looked like a scene from a prison movie. We stopped going to some dog parks because of this. Our dogs liked dog beaches better anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 5,133 times
In my case, I first bought a male one because I want someone who's super active but turns out my female one is more energetic.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:42 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
My next pet will be a German Shepherd Dog. I am open to a female but I am almost sure I will get a male.

A) Boys are goofy. Girls are more serious.

B) I prefer the chiseled bulkier look compared to the streamlined females.

C) Males guard their home, females guard their people.

D) Boys are bigger and more muscular.

E) They are really, really goofy which is funny and makes me laugh.

Females are easier to train so there is that but the boys are still eminently trainable, so I ain't worried nun. I can't go wrong either way. If my Breeder tells me he has a female that is PERFECT for my personality and circumstances, I will definitely take him up on that.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,789 times
We didn’t care whether we adopted a male or female dog. We adopted a male and he’s amazing.

We had a male cat that was prone to unitary infections and crystals in his bladder. Found out later that this was more common in male cats. When he passed, we wanted to adopt a female cat so we can avoid the issue.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
We only had girl dogs when I was growing up, I don't know why. As an adult I've only had cats of both sexes. Sometimes I've chosen them and sometimes they've found me and I have no real preference.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
If you look at virtually any creature in the animal kingdom, males are larger, more flashy, and exhibit attracting behaviors. Because their job in life is to attract females.
Living on a farm, we have exposure to living with more species than a lot of people and see this from a very young age. Roosters are impossible to differentiate from hens in outward appearance when they are only a few days old, but we can usually sex them by behavior- they are more friendly, trusting, and eager to explore. This is a trait they carry with them their whole lives. But they also develop other behaviors like aggression towards other males in defense of their territory.

In my life I've mostly had female dogs. I think in a one-dog household situation there is little difference but when you add other female dogs, the b-itches quickly earn their name. Male dogs will have disagreements over things that are very clear, b-itches get into scraps over issues that only they understand. I've never owned un-neutered or un-spayed dogs, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

(CD is trying to censor the "B" word, even though it is the scientifically correct terminology for a female dog, which is what this post is referencing).

Old 04-18-2021, 12:20 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My next pet will be a German Shepherd Dog. I am open to a female but I am almost sure I will get a male.

A) Boys are goofy. Girls are more serious.

B) I prefer the chiseled bulkier look compared to the streamlined females.

C) Males guard their home, females guard their people.

D) Boys are bigger and more muscular.

E) They are really, really goofy which is funny and makes me laugh.

Females are easier to train so there is that but the boys are still eminently trainable, so I ain't worried nun. I can't go wrong either way. If my Breeder tells me he has a female that is PERFECT for my personality and circumstances, I will definitely take him up on that.
Yes, the goofy is endearing about the boys. My large male dogs have always been very protective, but even so, they have that goofy side the females don’t have.

I told the breeder, a male is first choice. This shepherd pup will be the eighth, counting the shepherds growing up. They’re such an amazing breed, looking forward a new pup soon and it sounds like you are too.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:48 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Yes, the goofy is endearing about the boys. My large male dogs have always been very protective, but even so, they have that goofy side the females don’t have.

I told the breeder, a male is first choice. This shepherd pup will be the eighth, counting the shepherds growing up. They’re such an amazing breed, looking forward a new pup soon and it sounds like you are too.
You are fortunate. I am envious. I always wanted a GSD but wound up renting most of my life being a gypsy, moving around for work. I have only been blessed with 1 GSD. I can’t wait for #2. I will be renting until the current housing bubble pops. That could be years.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Thinking about our dogs, we have always alternated. We a discovered a puppy brings new life to an aging dog, so we have almost always had two dogs, an old one and a young one. Not intentionally, just because of what we found, we switched back and forth between male and female each time. Thus, through six dogs, we have never had two of the same sex at the same time. Our two best dogs and also our two worst were male. One female was awesom, one was terrible at first but has become awesome as she got older and one was meh.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I prefer female dogs but male cats. I have found my male cats are much more affectionate. The last three cats (female) I adopted or found were not very affectionate, especially my Binx. She was a stray, starving in the neighborhood when I found her. She's gotten somewhat better but will still not let me pick her up. She finally has gotten to the point where she lets me kiss her on the head. At first she would not allow me to get that close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets