Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 PM

4,121 posts, read 1,895,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What's your success rate with cats?

I frankly don't know why it's so (seemingly) problematic for any vet who agrees to euthanasia to give you something to administer at home to, if not put them completely to sleep, at least allow them to no longer care where they are or what's happening to them before "it" happens, whether that's being taken to a scary vet office, a stranger entering their home, whatever. Any debate about the "danger" seems ridiculous to me since, after all, let's face it, we're killing the animal. The primary and only concern should be its comfort.
Narcotics strong enough to do what you're suggesting are probably not legal for anyone to use except for a licensed physician or veterinarian. The reason being that such narcotics might be unlawfully used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 07:27 PM

10,122 posts, read 6,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Seriously? Out of everything positive I said in that post that's all you get out of it? Ironically you are completely off base. Why would I ever need to spell out that some people don't have a mobile vet in their area so its not even an option for them? Thats obvious and anyone not looking to pick a fight would assume so.
Well, I was NOT looking to pick a fight. If I misunderstood your post I stand corrected,

Old 06-29-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Narcotics strong enough to do what you're suggesting are probably not legal for anyone to use except for a licensed physician or veterinarian. The reason being that such narcotics might be unlawfully used.
I agree with what Rachel said. The liability issues for the vet would be enormous.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,888,460 times
Quote:
What's your success rate with cats?
I've had three cats and all three of them were trained to travel peaceably in a pet carrier and tolerate handling for exams. Cats are harder to train than dogs but they are domesticated animals and do respond to purposeful behavioral conditioning.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:12 AM

22,109 posts, read 13,123,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree with what Rachel said. The liability issues for the vet would be enormous.
It doesn't have to be a narcotic. If Xanax - a benzodiazapine - can calm the fears of a 250-pound man, I'm sure it would work on a dog or cat (administered at home).

Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,888,460 times
Many dogs (I don't know about cats) have a paradoxical reaction to benzos and become hyperactive instead of sedated. It's a known issue with using them to treat seizures.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Many dogs (I don't know about cats) have a paradoxical reaction to benzos and become hyperactive instead of sedated. It's a known issue with using them to treat seizures.
Well then...whatever DOES work to sedate dogs and cats and other domesticated animals/pets. I'm not a vet, so I don't know, but surely vets know.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a narcotic. If Xanax - a benzodiazapine - can calm the fears of a 250-pound man, I'm sure it would work on a dog or cat (administered at home).
Well, one of my cats was on a daily dose of Prozac to help control his aggressiveness and his tendency to pee on everything (I once woke up to find him peeing on the headboard right next to my head ). The difference it made in his behavior was amazing - it didn't zork him out or make him groggy; it just made him act like a "normal" cat. That might be a possibility, but just one pill probably wouldn't work.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, one of my cats was on a daily dose of Prozac to help control his aggressiveness and his tendency to pee on everything (I once woke up to find him peeing on the headboard right next to my head ). The difference it made in his behavior was amazing - it didn't zork him out or make him groggy; it just made him act like a "normal" cat. That might be a possibility, but just one pill probably wouldn't work.
I know there are sedatives available to owners who must travel with anxious pets; maybe a double dose of that before leaving for the final appointment or allowing the vet in the house? Whatever the exact substance, I'm sure there's something available, and will definitely be asking about it when next I speak to a vet.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I know there are sedatives available to owners who must travel with anxious pets; maybe a double dose of that before leaving for the final appointment or allowing the vet in the house? Whatever the exact substance, I'm sure there's something available, and will definitely be asking about it when next I speak to a vet.
The only thing is sometimes you need to try it out in advance. I got something for that same cat (Russian Blue) and his companion cat (Tonkinese) before I transported them to my Mom's house 2 hours away when I was staying with her after her knee replacement. It was supposed to make them sleep, but instead they were like drunken sailors singing away in their carriers for most of the trip. It was almost funny except that they were LOUD. I think they finally fell asleep for the last half hour- belated, blessed relief for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets