Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Which dog breed would make the best family pet for a first time dog owner? A medium to small breed that is calm inside the house, easy to train, good temperament, friendly around strangers and well behaved around small children, a dog that doesn't shed too much etc.
I recommend adopting a mature dog from a purebred rescue. My favorite dogs have been 20-25 lb poodle and terrier mixes, and they were also spayed females.

Puppies are hyper and destructive. Housebreaking them is a PITA. With a rescue, they will have been evaluated by their foster families. Calmness comes with being adults. With dogs like golden retrievers and labs, they are very energetic when they are young. After the age of 5 years, they mellow into awesome companions! Older dogs will also be content sleeping on your couch while you are at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,000,712 times
I don't know about the best breeds. I'm not a dog connoisseur. My family has adopted many dogs over the years, though, and the most trouble-free, well-behaved, loving dogs have been the mutts we've adopted from the local pound.

We chose one wire-haired mongrel just because she looked so pathetic in her cage. We already had one puppy and were seeking a more mature companion. We thought she would fit. We led her on a leash from the kennel to the front desk for payment, to the front door of the building and to the gate to the parking lot with her tail tucked between her hind legs.

When we reached the parking lot, her composure changed completely! It was as if she realized she was FREE! For the rest of her life, she made us feel every day that she was grateful for her rescue.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:50 PM

133 posts, read 75,444 times
The OP wants recommendations for dog breeds that are medium to small, don't shed much, and are calm inside the house, and people want him to get a lab or a beagle.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,019,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer'sBreeze View Post
The OP wants recommendations for dog breeds that are medium to small, don't shed much, and are calm inside the house, and people want him to get a lab or a beagle.
Our lab was medium size and very calm inside even as a puppy. I have seen many labs & retrievers that
played outside but were calm inside. Shedding is not really an issue if you brush your dog. The new furminator brushes make it easy to keep them from shedding inside much.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,168,963 times
All I know is not to get a chihuahua for a first time dog. They are very cute but also very temperamental.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:58 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,168,963 times
A corgi is a nice first time dog.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:26 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Don't they have to go to the groomers very often ?? That seems like a chore and also expensive.

Let's just admit that the people that want a lab so they can take it hiking, enjoy letting it swim and
want a dog that will retrieve a ball or frisbee would not be caught dead with a poodle.

And the type people that want a dog to put bows in its hair and dress them up in sweaters probably
don't want a lab.
If you don’t care about the traditional poodle cut, you can buy your own clippers and do it yourself. It’s not that hard, and if you choose a longer clip length, you won’t cut the skin. Trim the nails and there you go.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:30 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Poodles are water retrievers and they are an excellent choice for hunting waterfowl. They are much calmer in the house than most other breeds of retriever or pointer and they are one of the most intelligent and easily trained breeds. They are extremely people oriented and devoted to their family and the family's children.

The frou-frou hairdo hasn't done much for their reputation.

A poodle kept in a short puppy cut is a lot easier to take care of than a show cut, but the coat is still work, The family must either be prepared to groom or else be prepared to pay for frequent grooming so the coat doesn't turn into a knotted mess. Coat is the only reason that the standard poodle is not my first recommendation for a family dog; even for a first time dog for a family.

Fortunately for the standard poodle, they have escaped the trendy pet curse and they tend to be healthy and mentally reasonable. The same can't be said for the miniature and toy poodles who are the favorite victim-of-choice for puppy mills, so you must be very careful where you buy because there is a lot of careless breeding of the smaller poodles.
And isn’t there a 4th poodle, like a medium size between standard and mini?

Old 11-23-2019, 06:07 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If you don’t care about the traditional poodle cut, you can buy your own clippers and do it yourself. It’s not that hard, and if you choose a longer clip length, you won’t cut the skin. Trim the nails and there you go.
Agreed! I have a bichon (another fabulous choice!) And I clip him once a month myself and take him to the groomers once or twice a year. He obvir looks better after the groomers but doesn't look bad when I do it.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:07 AM

5,676 posts, read 5,896,314 times
First, go to a shelter. Youll often find the perfect dog who needs a family. We have a rescue beagle, and one we adopted from a puppy mill that was shut down. Both are good dogs, but yes they can roam, but a leash prevents that. We had a dachshund, he passed away, but he was the man! He was ever so gentle with both our kids, played with both really well, went on camping trips with us, and was a really great dog, and we really miss him. If we didn't have these beagles we would get another dach. in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets