Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 02:36 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
About as equally probable as a small child running out into a freeway while cars are whizzing past at 70mph. Can it happen? Yes. Often enough to make a law reducing the speed on freeways to 20mph? What do you think?

Accidents happen. People who expect life to be 100% foolproof are fools.
This isn't about toddlers.

It's about completely avoidable situations with animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 02:42 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Well, not sure what to tell you as many people are clueless. My dogs speak good "dog language" and even if they were loose (they never are) they would never even attempt to approach a dog without getting a cue from THAT DOG that it was safe to do so. Forget about depending on the humans and their judgement; we have many low IQ individuals these days who are gravitating toward dog ownership due to media influence.

You may have to get a muzzle for that reason. Yeah, it seems unfair but it's also unfair that many of us can't even walk our dogs anymore as we are dealing with junkies taking over our parks and trails due to lax policies by our local governments that allow a "free for all" for lawless behavior from individuals whom can claim to be indigent.

Just be glad you can even walk your dog in public areas. I had to quit due to the uncapped needles on the ground and strung out, dangerous junkies/mentally ill taking over our public areas. Yet, bleeding heart types of people excuse it, normalize it and want more funding for it to keep the status quo. Totally nuts. Actually it's a related problem to yours; "personal responsibility" doesn't apply anymore in our society. The end result of this cluster &*%# effects us ALL in a negative way.
This

Especially with narrow side walks and freaks walking some breeds that can seriously cause another dog some damage. There is a neighbor kid walking his gigantic pit mix and can barely control it. I'm quite sure if it could get loose it would kill another dog and probably a person. Dealing with that type of law suite would not be worth it.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This

Especially with narrow side walks and freaks walking some breeds that can seriously cause another dog some damage. There is a neighbor kid walking his gigantic pit mix and can barely control it. I'm quite sure if it could get loose it would kill another dog and probably a person. Dealing with that type of law suite would not be worth it.
Yep, every drug addicted "transient" that passes through my area has a Pit over any other breed. Not a coincidence as they need a dog to defend the drug stashes in their tent encampments. These dogs aren't always "nice". The junkies frequently abuse the dogs too. I have even witnessed it and reported it. Nasty people. I have talked to city workers and you don't even want to know the horrible deaths some of these dogs have suffered at the hands of these "homeless" lowlifes we are subsidizing. When you are out walking remember you can interact with ANYONE. Many you will encounter are society's bottom feeders who respect no one.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
Quote:
About as equally probable as a small child running out into a freeway while cars are whizzing past at 70mph. Can it happen? Yes. Often enough to make a law reducing the speed on freeways to 20mph? What do you think?

Accidents happen. People who expect life to be 100% foolproof are fools.
Or overzealous lawmakers.

My dog and I are the the local park every day. I always ask if we can approach and if the other owner says otherwise, we stay the heck away. Even aggressive dogs get to go for walks!

We will occasionally ignore leash laws under certain conditions. That’s a topic for another thread.

Parker and his best friend, little Lucy sharing a space on top of the fountain. Parker taught young Lucy how to climb trees also.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:25 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Or overzealous lawmakers.

My dog and I are the the local park every day. I always ask if we can approach and if the other owner says otherwise, we stay the heck away. Even aggressive dogs get to go for walks!

We will occasionally ignore leash laws under certain conditions. That’s a topic for another thread.

Parker and his best friend, little Lucy sharing a space on top of the fountain. Parker taught young Lucy how to climb trees also.

Beautiful dogs! Are they Vizlas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I'm gonna try this again:

What happens if you're going around a blind corner with your leashed dog-aggressive Great Dane and someone else is coming from the other direction around that same corner with their excitable Border Collie?
I am always a little ahead of her so I can see if there are dangers of any kind, whether human, animal, or vehicle. Any responsible dog owner would be, but because she is trained visually, I walk more in front than most dogs and handlers do. I use a prong collar and leather leash because she is very strong and it allows me more control as well. In response to someone else's question, I never take her to the dog park.

And your dogs are beautiful too, Agua. Your Zoli was a Weimeraner? Do you still have your other dog? Nilla Wafer also lives with one lifelong dog friend.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:44 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
Correct. Both are vizslas. Parker is almost 3 and Lucy is about a year or so. And thank you!

Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Beautiful dogs! Are they Vizlas?

I am always a little ahead of her so I can see if there are dangers of any kind, whether human, animal, or vehicle. Any responsible dog owner would be, but because she is trained visually, I walk more in front than most dogs and handlers do. I use a prong collar and leather leash because she is very strong and it allows me more control as well. In response to someone else's question, I never take her to the dog park.

And your dogs are beautiful too, Agua. Your Zoli was a Weimeraner? Do you still have your other dog? Nilla Wafer also lives with one lifelong dog friend.
Emmett the Vizsla was with me from 1995 until he passed in 2009. He was a perfect dog. A true gentleman.
Zoli the Weimaraner was with me from 2007 until she passed in 2018. She had major issues.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:52 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
What happens if you're going around a blind corner with your leashed dog-aggressive Great Dane and someone else is coming from the other direction around that same corner with their excitable Border Collie?
Quote:
About as equally probable as a small child running out into a freeway while cars are whizzing past at 70mph. Can it happen?
I believe the scenario I described is much more probable.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
I haven't read all of the comments but just wanted to say, I think there's a big difference between dog-aggressive and dog-reactive. (imo)...a dog-aggressive dog should wear a muzzle when outdoors, even when leashed. They can be unpredictable, and can cause serious injury (or worse). A dog-reactive dog...no, I don't believe a muzzle is ever necessary, unless the owner is incapable of controlling the dog should a situation arise. Then in that case, yes, a muzzle might be in order...even if a confrontation may be another person's fault. Dog-aggressive dogs - in general - will respond in a vicious manner if another person allows their dog to approach, while a dog-reactive dog will most likely react with a hard bite, but not follow through with a full-out attack, unless the other dog reacts aggressively after being bitten.

OP, I have a dog-reactive dog. He's a fear biter. I don't put a muzzle on him, but I do have a head halter on him so I can have some control of his head should someone allow their dog to run up to him...I can redirect his head in case he tries to react if/when the other dog frightens him. He WILL bite if the dog gets right in his face, but it's a hard warning bite (a 'get away from me, I'm afraid') message, no drawing blood, but hard enough to warn them off) and that is a last-resort reaction, as he will do his best to avoid at first. He doesn't often growl or give warning; rather, his body may stiffen somewhat, he will try to avert his eyes, and if the dog insists on persisting, he bites. I don't worry about him attacking other dogs - on or off leash - as his instinct is to run away if a dog tries to go up to him, rather than to attack. Personally, I believe that a fear-reactive dog shouldn't have to wear a muzzle unless the owner cannot control the dog in such situations and the dog will go beyond a warning bite. But a dog-aggressive dog (imo) should always be muzzled in public. Unfortunately, if a dog is truly dog aggressive (regardless of the cause) then yes, I think a muzzle is warranted.

I feel for you, btw. I have lost count of the number of times I've asked people to not let their dog approach mine when we're crossing paths. I always put Izzy on the opposite side as we're approaching, but many people don't see this as a 'I'm avoiding your dog for a reason' so I usually wind up verbally telling them that my dog is reactive and fearful. And even then, many choose to ignore, stating 'it's okay, my dog is friendly', or 'okay, thanks' and then still giving their dog full leash to approach as we get near to one another on the sidewalk. I find that a lot of people simply have no respect for other dog owners - who know their dogs and their reactions - and simply choose to ignore. I've been cursed at by a couple of dog owners in the past (one for allowing their young boxer to run full on into Izzy's face after I repeatedly asked him not to let his dog come near...his dog was clunked on the snout by Izzy as a result; another for absolutely insisting that his dog go up to Izzy...I wound up having to physically block the dog from Izzy with my body). One said that I was 'doing my dog no favours by not letting him interact, and I was causing his problem'; the boxer owner said that 'your dog is a #W$% danger and should be put down'.

I've long since learned one thing: It's a LOT easier to train one's dog than it is to expect other dog owners to respect you and your dog's space. Some do, but a great many don't. And so I will always give warning to everyone. However, first and foremost to me is my dog's own safety and peace of mind. So every time the leash goes on, I'm prepared to intercept for him. If a mule-headed dog owner who thinks they know better insists on not listening and allows their dog to get into Izzy's space, I will still try to avoid a dog-to-dog confrontation (after all, I don't want my dog developing even deeper fears, nor do I want another dog to have a bad experience). But if their dog does receive a hard clunk on the head because of their inaction to control their dog, then I tune out the shouts and curses and walk away. It's the only thing I can do to keep my sanity, and to prevent me from saying what I think of them in the heat of the moment.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:00 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times
The bottom line isn't what you decide, it is what your local laws decide. Unless the judge on Peoples Court is ruling based on laws where you live, a case decided there isn't a good example. Pit Bulls are banned in Dade County Florida. There is no Pit Bull police. I would imagine that any case involving a pit, would be ruled in favor of the plaintiff because of the ban or if the pit owner is the plaintiff, it would be thrown out. Many try to get around the ban by calling their another breed that isn't banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets