Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:09 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,590,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Petsmart is an average store at best IMHO.
I used to shop at Petco in Colorado, and Washington state. They had a better selection of grain free foods than that other place. But they aren't where I'm living now, bummer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 10:25 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,590,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For local, I buy at the feed store. The place where you buy hay and grain. Feed stores always have a full aisle of pet toys, a wall of leashes and collars, and bins of chewies. Prices are lower than the big national chain, and the help there knows what they are doing. All of the feed stores in my area carry the really high end dog kibble.

The western wear / garden store sells pet supplies.

If I want high quality dog supplies, I go to a dog show and buy from the vendors. They sell the good stuff you can't find in stores or buy online (except that 3C's has a Web page to sell shampoo and cream rinse)

I won't go into the big box pet supply store. They don't sell quality items. The first time I was in one, a customer was wandering around the store with a really sick dog in their shopping cart. Really sick. Fever, gummy eyes, snotty nose. No one said anything to her except for me and I got shrugged off. Whatever that dog had, distemper probably, it was shedding infection all over the store.

I gave it another try and both times, there was a large strong dog on an inadequate leash giving the stink eye to everyone who walked by while the owner was completely oblivious. I can buy much better food, better toys elsewhere without risking being attacked.
Thanks for the great ideas Oregon . I live in a farming/ranching community in Oregon now, and will have to check out the feed store. The coop in Sequim, Wa had a great collection of pet stuff now that you mention it.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 AM

9,474 posts, read 11,233,966 times
That purchase happened about a year ago.

https://prime.peta.org/2017/05/buyer...hased-petsmart

Old 04-22-2018, 11:35 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,266,998 times
This is news to me. But I'd also been having similar problems as the rest of you for about the last 6 months, with product no longer being in stock, long shipping times, etc so it makes perfect sense now.

Ugh. I really liked Chewy the past few years, the convenience and pricing were better than what I could find locally, and food selection was outstanding. Guess I will have to figure out something else going forward.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:16 PM

19,919 posts, read 9,479,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Sold out to Petsmart. Now that explains why its been going downhill for the past few months.
Prices drastically increased.
Sales tax charged.
Shipping times from overnight to a week.
Guarantee went from freshness 1 year from the best buy date to only 3 months of the best buy date which to me is stale food with no nutritional value.
Inventory selection limited.
Returns are problematic now.
Coupons take weeks to get processed and now they claim they never got them.
No reason to shop at Chewy anymore - its Petsmart.
Another great business gone to the dogs - literally.
Well, that explains it -- I have noticed the exact same thing as far as shipments and prices.

Very sad.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,144,474 times
Well I have not purchase anything from petsmart for a long time and don't intend to do so anymore . Chewy was wonderful and now nope bad , very bad . I'm done with both of them chewy and petsmart .

Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,835,361 times
This happened about a year ago. I feed Fromm, when Fromm found out that Petsmart was purchasing Chewy, they stopped using them as a distributor. I actually liked Chewy a lot. They were good and offered great customer service. I use Petflow now and any time there is an issue, all I get are excuses.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:37 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,014,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Sold out to Petsmart. Now that explains why its been going downhill for the past few months.
Prices drastically increased.
Sales tax charged.
Shipping times from overnight to a week.
Guarantee went from freshness 1 year from the best buy date to only 3 months of the best buy date which to me is stale food with no nutritional value.
Inventory selection limited.
Returns are problematic now.
Coupons take weeks to get processed and now they claim they never got them.
No reason to shop at Chewy anymore - its Petsmart.
Another great business gone to the dogs - literally.
Thanks
I was getting ready to place an order
Would rather buy at local place than online w/chain
Used Chewy for several years and they were fair, prompt, and helpful when my dog developed reaction to some food--
But PetSmart is nothing special

Old 04-22-2018, 04:41 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,014,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I have always believed and preached supporting local. Unfortunately my local pet store policies of allowing any breed inside the store without muzzles means it is not a safe environment for me or my dog. They also regularly have dog selling events where they expect you to walk through these groups of dogs to enter the store. I’ve told both of the stores I will be buying everything thing I need from Amazon from now on. I don’t care if they go out of business. Two weeks ago I walked 2 miles with an empty backpack to go stock up on a few things only to turn around at the door and come back because of the dogs a local rescue group were pedaling at the entrance. I came back in, sat down at my computer, and ordered $197 worth of dog stuff from Amazon - no stress, cheaper, and no concerns about my dog being attacked. They didn’t just lose $197, they lost a customer of two years permanently. I have not bought from Petsmart or Petco for years because of the same reason. As long as they keep allowing dogs to be attacked in their stores, they won’t be getting my money.
Our dog was attacked at PetSmart doggie-day-care where she was kenneled while we were in FL for grandson's birth
We never used it again

Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,043,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thanks for the tip Bella . I was just thinking the other day that I wished I knew of a reliable online pet supply source for when I do get a critter again.

About a month ago I volunteered to walk the neighbors little chubby dachshund MWF to help get his weight down a little. He could hardly walk when we first started, but is doing much better. Now I have to rein him in so he doesn't overdo it. It helps me with the loneliness, and discouragement too. His daddy has a hard time getting around, but at least I can still walk, and put it to some use.
Ahhh...good for both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets