Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 05:42 PM

815 posts, read 985,045 times

Advertisements

I really need some opinions/advice from (hopefully) people who have been actively involved in running a non-profit animal shelter.
My husband and I recently (Nov 1, 1015) began managing a thrift store that supports our local non-profit animal shelter. It is a no-kill shelter, and has a capacity of 31 dogs and 40 cats.
Of course, it is always full with a waiting list.
I understand and accept the harsh reality of the fact that animals will be turned away.
The problem I am having, is that the current shelter manager goes to surrounding counties and hand-picks cute, young, small, more easily adopted animals from high-kill shelters, while routinely turning down local, harder to adopt dogs (older, big, black, or pit bulls).
She brags about her adoption rates, but it feels more like a pet-store situation than a "humane" society.
She does little or nothing to promote the harder to adopt dogs.
We are a rural, southern county. with a large percentage of big, black, pit bull/mixes.
Is there really no hope for neediest canine residents of our county?
Anyone have any success with finding adopters for the "un-adoptables"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,281,555 times
I had spent over 5 years as a rescue volunteer. I had spent time at rescues ranging from disorganized, fraudulent and borderline hoarding to organized, clean but shady rescues. You can see why I no longer volunteer at rescues.

I understand how you feel. What you see is common - a rescue inviting outside cute, highly desirable breed dogs like yorkies, poodles, etc. The higher the adoption rate = more donations and funding. The cuter and sadder the story, the more donations and better to build the rescue reputation. Unfortunately, they must operate like a business in order to keep their doors open. The faster a dog is adopted out, more they can rescue, the more donations you receive from adoption fees.

Another thing most people don't notice is a lot of these rescue dogs from the county already received their vaccinations, neuter, etc... saving the organization tons of start up cost per dog. For reasons I have strong suspicions of that something more is going on, some shelters goes so far as immediately transferring a healthy, cute dog to a rescue, not giving the public a chance to adopt it.

Not all rescues are like this. There are very good people out there who are saving the undesirables. So there is hope.

And to answer your last question, yes, there are a lot of people who adopt the unadoptables. That group of people is growing. More and more people are starting to see a good dog is beyond looks. I am one of them. I adopted a pit/lab mix, American bulldog/lab mix with a limp and an average looking tabby with a personality that's not average.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:20 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,525,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I really need some opinions/advice from (hopefully) people who have been actively involved in running a non-profit animal shelter.
My husband and I recently (Nov 1, 1015) began managing a thrift store that supports our local non-profit animal shelter. It is a no-kill shelter, and has a capacity of 31 dogs and 40 cats.
Of course, it is always full with a waiting list.
I understand and accept the harsh reality of the fact that animals will be turned away.
The problem I am having, is that the current shelter manager goes to surrounding counties and hand-picks cute, young, small, more easily adopted animals from high-kill shelters, while routinely turning down local, harder to adopt dogs (older, big, black, or pit bulls).
She brags about her adoption rates, but it feels more like a pet-store situation than a "humane" society.
She does little or nothing to promote the harder to adopt dogs.
We are a rural, southern county. with a large percentage of big, black, pit bull/mixes.
Is there really no hope for neediest canine residents of our county?
Anyone have any success with finding adopters for the "un-adoptables"?
It upsets me so much to hear what this shelter manager is doing. My fantasy, which I guess would be counter productive, would be to give her one stern lecture about how she is abandoning local dogs who will end up likely being euthanized due to no one wanting them. I personally think she is (being charitable here) a heartless person. She is not likely to change and telling her that is not going to help almost certainly. Why are not others complaining? She needs to be replaced.

Having done rescue (cats) for years, I know that there are some odd ducks out there and you have to just face that fact and do your best. (Odd duck humans!)

Are you not aware of the many large organizations that help local rescuers address exactly your need: How to find homes for those overlooked and rejected?

Have you ever contacted these organizations for their wonderful experienced advice?

One I have in mind right away is "Maddie's Fund": Maddie's Fund

Then there is Best Friends Best Friends Utah

Pit Bull Rescue Central

See this: "Shelter Outreach:
Shelters nationwide, especially those in urban areas overflowing with Pit Bulls or Pit Bull crosses, often seek information on successful handling and placement of the breed. Out of the Pits acts as a reference point for those shelters, providing literature, information and support. We also assist newly established Pit Bull Rescue organizations throughout America." Our Programs | OUT OF THE PITS – and into your hearts

I am only a cat rescuer but it is so lovely that you want to help local pit bulls and other dogs!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 PM

815 posts, read 985,045 times
Thank you for your responses. I tried talking to the shelter manager today, and she was not at all receptive to any 'solutions' I offered. She is very set in her ways and extremely resistant to change.
Went out to visit the shelter today. Brand new facility, beautiful, clean. There was no one there but one kennel worker. No visitors/adopters. Manager was at lunch for 2 hours. Beautiful dogs just wasting away in their kennels, desperate for attention and human interaction. But the shelter manager brags about her adoption rates because of the puppies/small dogs she picks from other shelters.
I'm not giving up though. This is the county I live in, and I'm committed to making every effort to improve the situation.
Thanks for the links, Martha Anne. I am familiar with Best Friends, but will look into the others.
I will say that our shelter does a much better job with cat rescue, and has an active TNR program.
Cheesenugget, I understand why you no longer volunteer at rescues. I have met so many people recently who have had similar experiences to yours. I feel the same way much of the time, but I'm new to this 'organized' rescue thing, so I'm sticking it out for now.
I do have eight (large) rescue dogs, so I console myself with the fact that at least I've made a difference in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets