Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:44 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,728,616 times

Advertisements

Liz Mitten Ryan owns a 320-acre horse sanctuary where she raises horses with free roaming rights on her property. When she heard noises coming from her barn, she investigated. She found 7 horses inside the tiny barn sleeping.

She Discovers Her Horses Sleeping In The Barn, But Never Expected Them To Do THIS! It's TOO Funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:27 AM

1,673 posts, read 1,936,997 times
That isn't quite what I see.

I see seven horses that ate something that not only acted like a sedative but appears to have induced mild colic in a couple of the horses.

I have to wonder if whatever she fed them, or even their hay, may have had something toxic that she was not aware of.

I hope the end of this story wasn't a call to the vet

They are all in good health with great coats but seeing seven horses sharing the barn floor to sleep is not something that ever happens.

I know there are other experienced horse owners on here, hopefully they will share their thoughts

Old 01-26-2016, 02:34 PM

807 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

I see seven horses that ate something that not only acted like a sedative but appears to have induced mild colic in a couple of the horses.

I have to wonder if whatever she fed them, or even their hay, may have had something toxic that she was not aware of.

They are all in good health with great coats but seeing seven horses sharing the barn floor to sleep is not something that ever happens.

I know there are other experienced horse owners on here, hopefully they will share their thoughts
I had the same thoughts. I didn't think it was normal for horses to lay down like that. My father owned a horse for a couple years and I only saw the horse once laying down. Even then she was awake and didn't stay laying down long. She mostly slept standing up.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,543,670 times
They didn't look colicy to me. None were pawing, nosing their sides, rolling violently, getting up and down to repeatedly roll, displaying flehmen response, or kicking at their bellies.

Horses will often nap as a group. Usually one horse will stay standing to act as a lookout. Drive by a pasture on a sunny day midmorning, and you will often find a bunch sunbathing laying down.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
They didn't look colicy to me. None were pawing, nosing their sides, rolling violently, getting up and down to repeatedly roll, displaying flehmen response, or kicking at their bellies.

Horses will often nap as a group. Usually one horse will stay standing to act as a lookout. Drive by a pasture on a sunny day midmorning, and you will often find a bunch sunbathing laying down.
Agreed. I have seen 7-8 horses napping together outside, in the sun with another standing guard. I have never seen them crowd together in a barn, especially when the article said they have 320 acres.

I saw some really subtle colic signs on a couple of them. Horses are prey animals and hide their discomforts fairly well, unless the pain gets too bad.

I've had horses with mild colic from drinking cold creek water. All they did was sit down. Deer fashion with their noses tucked behind their legs. I'd had them for years and knew this wasn't normal behavior so I called the vet. Sure enough they were in colic mode. Maye they would have worked their way out of that mild colic on their own but I wasn't taking chances.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:11 AM

28,989 posts, read 30,414,087 times
Quote:

Absolutely!!!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I have seen 7-8 horses napping together outside, in the sun with another standing guard. I have never seen them crowd together in a barn, especially when the article said they have 320 acres.

I saw some really subtle colic signs on a couple of them. Horses are prey animals and hide their discomforts fairly well, unless the pain gets too bad.

I've had horses with mild colic from drinking cold creek water. All they did was sit down. Deer fashion with their noses tucked behind their legs. I'd had them for years and knew this wasn't normal behavior so I called the vet. Sure enough they were in colic mode. Maye they would have worked their way out of that mild colic on their own but I wasn't taking chances.
Right again, both my uncles trained and showed....and I grew up around horses all my life, had two of my own...and this just isn't right...

I've seen mild colic and severe colic...and quit frankly, it annoys me that someone would take a video of this thinking it is funny....horses do not lay down together in a barn like that....

My best to you

Old 01-29-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Right again, both my uncles trained and showed....and I grew up around horses all my life, had two of my own...and this just isn't right...

I've seen mild colic and severe colic...and quit frankly, it annoys me that someone would take a video of this thinking it is funny....horses do not lay down together in a barn like that....

My best to you
I didn't re-read the article but I think this is a rescue place.

One would think they would have enough common sense to know something isn't quite right when seven horses lay down in a barn and some of them are passing excessive gas.

The majority of people who do rescues, of any type of critter, have their best interest at heart. It would be nice if these people understood there is more to an animal than a shiny coat and a full tummy, and learn some basic medical care for the animals.

We can hope all the horses worked thru whatever made them sick, in spite of the apparent stupidity of the person taking the video.

I would have had a near-meltdown if that had been my horses and telling my vet clinic I didn't care who came to the farm, just get someone here "five minutes ago".

Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I didn't re-read the article but I think this is a rescue place.

One would think they would have enough common sense to know something isn't quite right when seven horses lay down in a barn and some of them are passing excessive gas.

The majority of people who do rescues, of any type of critter, have their best interest at heart. It would be nice if these people understood there is more to an animal than a shiny coat and a full tummy, and learn some basic medical care for the animals.

We can hope all the horses worked thru whatever made them sick, in spite of the apparent stupidity of the person taking the video.

I would have had a near-meltdown if that had been my horses and telling my vet clinic I didn't care who came to the farm, just get someone here "five minutes ago".
While I do believe there are rescuers out there who do good by animals, I also believe just like anything else, that a lot of rescues are in it for the money....due to a personal experience and the fact that no one is fighting to close down puppy mills. Why? That to me, would be the very first thing any rescue would want to encourage our leaders to do, to outlaw puppy mills once and for all...

There are tons of people working with rescues, that don't know anything about the warning signs of sickness in animals...they are doing a good thing, however, like you say...I can't agree with you more.

Like the parents who take videos of their kids riding dogs, etc....they just don't seem to know any better.

As I said, both my uncles raised, showed, rode in shows, trained and bred horses....so...something just isn't right in this photo...

Old 01-31-2016, 02:58 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1
I had the same thoughts. I didn't think it was normal for horses to lay down like that.
No usually they do not UNLESS THEY ARE NOT FEELING GOOD........

I do hope they were all OK!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets