Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times

Advertisements

im wondering how common this is. i have always stayed in the room during euthanasia in order to comfort my pet and somehow i feel like it is my duty. it is a horrible experience to go through but i always thought it was the right thing to do. im wondering about other's personal choices on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:29 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
What I did was stay in the room until the dog started falling asleep. That way she was too sleepy to notice I was leaving and I didn't have to watch anything more.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I stayed until the end...they were with me for their life, I should be with them during their deaths...they were true to me and I had to remain true to them. That's just a personal choice, I think. Some people can't do it and I would never fault them for that.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 PM

96 posts, read 356,757 times
I agree some people can't do it and I don't fault them either. With my little girl I stayed with her until the end and let her rest her head in my hands as she went off to sleep. When it was over my mom said she could hear me crying all over the vet's office. It's the hardest thing to do and I still miss her part lab and shepard mix, she was my big ole baby girl.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
I have never had to face this yet. I don't know if I could stay in there or not BUT, I would hope I could because as Sam I Am said
Quote:
B]they were with me for their life, I should be with them during their deaths...they were true to me and I had to remain true to them[/b]. That's just a personal choice, I think. Some people can't do it and I would never fault them for that.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I stayed when I euthanized my 14 year old dog, Whiskey. It was the hardest thing I've ever done....including the dealing with the death of my mother when I was 18.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 PM

i like to think that it was comforting to my pet that i was there. i guess i was worried that she would be more nervous and frightened if i wasnt there with her. yes it is very very painful emotionally. it is also very very quick and the hard part starts once you go home and it is done.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I had to put a beloved cat too sleep. It killed me, the entire thing. I felt like someone had cut my feet from underneath me. I held him while he fell asleep, telling him how I loved him. I owed him that. It was the LEAST I could do after all the years of love and fun he had given me.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:40 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I stayed until the end.......Hubby could not talk, he was so upset.
I talked with her. Then when we took her home..........I carried her up to the top
of our Mountain.
It is a killer, it is very, very, difficult. One of the hardest tasks to have in ones entire life.
Yet, I knew I owed it to her too.......and since she was the "tail" of my hubby........
I wanted to spare him in anyway I could. A hard day........and hard on your soul.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I stayed until the end.......Hubby could not talk, he was so upset.
I talked with her. Then when we took her home..........I carried her up to the top
of our Mountain.
It is a killer, it is very, very, difficult. One of the hardest tasks to have in ones entire life.
Yet, I knew I owed it to her too.......and since she was the "tail" of my hubby........
I wanted to spare him in anyway I could. A hard day........and hard on your soul.
yes that is so sweet that you talked to her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets