Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times

Advertisements

I think it should be studied and it seems to me used more often. It certainly works for people so why not animals.

Vet Says Pot Use on Pets Could Put Off Putting Them Down - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,973 times
Well, I know that it does affect animals (at least dogs) although it would obviously need more studies. My friend is a vet. Someone brought a dog in after it sampled some pot laced food. The dog alternated between being hyperactive/agitated and falling asleep while standing up.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,604,188 times
Marijuana is toxic to cats and dogs (and horses)

ASPCA | Marijuana

Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
My friend's dog ate some pot and had a bunch of seizures.

Ten years later and she still ain't right.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,679,256 times
It can help animals with epilepsy. I have a friend who has a cat with epilepsy and the medication the cat was on made her totally spacey and just 'dumb high'. My friend felt so bad that her kitty was just always in a drug induced fog. After talking with her vet (and with me), she was given the go ahead and stop the anti-seizure pill and do a small dose of pot butter right before bed (the pill was twice a day). The anti-seizures pill never totally stopped the seizures, the cat woulds still have (at least) one seizure a day. When switched to pot butter, the seizures slowed way down. It was 5 days seizure free once the butter was used plus the cat was not a drugged up lump. She is still on her butter meds and suffers from a seizure randomly every few days rather than one a day.

Having lived in the heart of marijuana country for over 20 years, I have seen plenty a pup accidently eat pot food. Not a single one ever died.
The link does have accurate symptoms and does say that death is rare. However, I wonder if what ever animal died from marijuana had some other condition, or died from one of the symptoms such as dehydration. If an animal is vomiting, then it needs fluids. It's not the marijuana that killed the animal.
The link also states its the Sativa strain, not the Indica. The two are indeed different. Sativa is very 'speedy' causes the heart to beat faster and makes one paranoid. Indica on the other hand is very mellow.
The animals that got sick from marijuana consumed a very large dose, more than a human would eat to get a buzz. ANYTHING in large amounts is toxic.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My friend's dog ate some pot and had a bunch of seizures.

Ten years later and she still ain't right.
Who? The friend or the dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets