Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,814 times

Advertisements

Hello every body,

I need your help?
I have 3 tortoises(gohper tortoise) ;8,6,and5.5, years.
I give them vitamines(under prescription),
but I want to stop these vitamines.

Therefore, I want to know which fead is benefit for them more than lettuce,
and cucmber.

please help me!
Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 05:59 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
According to this website Gopher Tortoise (broken link) this is what they eat:

Gopher tortoises usually eat low-growing plants found in bright sunshine, primarily grasses such as wiregrass. Some tortoises have been known to eat gopher apples, blackberries and other fruits. Gopher tortoises will also scavenge and are opportunistic feeders, occasionally feeding on dead animals or excrement.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brain View Post
Hello every body,

I need your help?

and cucmber.

please help me!
Thank you very much.
Feed them anything but iceburg lettuce, It will give them water but has little nutrition in it for them.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
FWIW:
We had a box turtle for many years.
Natural light was one way she got her vitamins; she had to either have a full-spectrum lamp or the real deal: sunshine outside.
She would not touch commercial box turtle food.
Her very favorite thing to eat was slugs and worms.
She also liked leaf lettuce and strawberries.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,959 times
Hey,
I had a tortoise ( me and my husband ). His favorite food to eat was( iceberg lettuce - which is not so good, because it doesn't provide much nutrition ), and he didn't like "commercial food" that you buy at the pet store. But after giving him a lot of different fruits and vegetables, I "discovered" that he really liked cooked corn, green beans, apples ( thinly sliced ), some strawberries, bread soaked in yogurt, watermelon ( he would pee afterwards. )...When it comes to vitamins, he was outside during the day, so he had plenty of Sunlight...I hope this helps...

Good luck!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:49 PM

94 posts, read 134,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brain View Post
Hello every body,

I need your help?

and cucmber.

please help me!
Thank you very much.
Kale if they eat it is fantastic -Spinach is great to ofcourse washed not boiled as some claim. Kale is a powerhouse of vitamins but some dont like it .
fruits,vegetables . Our box turtle eats boiled egg whites also gets one egg a week but mostly vegetables and fruit.
Are yours kept outside do they get natural sunlight ?
They shouldnt need vitamins if good food good light be it natural or inside fake sunlight type lamps.
Ours is outside during the day has shade in backyard porch but out lots in sun . We bring him in at night

Old 08-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
FWIW:
We had a box turtle for many years.
Natural light was one way she got her vitamins; she had to either have a full-spectrum lamp or the real deal: sunshine outside.
She would not touch commercial box turtle food.
Her very favorite thing to eat was slugs and worms.
She also liked leaf lettuce and strawberries.
Did you bring him/her in at night ?

I ask because we have a Box turtle out all day but comes in at night . Was thinking of just leaving him out at night .
He sleeps in shaded area in porch and goes from porch to grass area all day long but never left him outside at night .

Old 08-12-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Hey,
I had a tortoise ( me and my husband ). His favorite food to eat was( iceberg lettuce - which is not so good, because it doesn't provide much nutrition ), and he didn't like "commercial food" that you buy at the pet store. But after giving him a lot of different fruits and vegetables, I "discovered" that he really liked cooked corn, green beans, apples ( thinly sliced ), some strawberries, bread soaked in yogurt, watermelon ( he would pee afterwards. )...When it comes to vitamins, he was outside during the day, so he had plenty of Sunlight...I hope this helps...

Good luck!!!
I asked another person same question- Did you bring him/her in at night ?

I ask because we have a Box turtle out all day but comes in at night . Was thinking of just leaving him out at night .
He sleeps in shaded area in porch and goes from porch to grass area all day long but never left him outside at night .
We also plan to get another box turtle female thus might keep them out all year long except cold days in winter

Thanks

Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valea View Post
Did you bring him/her in at night ?

She was a wild Colorado tortoise. Her name was Pearl.
I never would have taken her from the wild, but my son's swimming teacher took a bunch of them from southern Colorado, offered one to us, and I took her because I knew we would do our best by her rather than just treat her like some sort of live Teenage Mutant Ninja.
We were sort of learning as we went along.
The first year, we kept her in, but got her the full spectrum light.
After that, she had a pen, and stayed out 24/7.
She burrowed during the winter. She had shade, water and sun. She dug down when cold weather came.
She would come up in spring. We tried to give her as much space as possible, but it was never enough.
We had her for about 6 years.
She dug under the fence once, got away, and we got her back.
She got away for good one summer when we were out of the country.
She was so sweet, but very wild, and was always trying to get away.
I always thought she was seeking her own kind.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Oh okay thanks I made a mistake thought this was the Miami pet forum . Either way ours is a rescue box turtle .
He is an Eastern box I had him in NY inside .

Now outside here in Miami. Someone taped firecrackers to his shell and blew up top layer of it but he is great now yrs later .
Back than vet said just leave it and it healed .

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets