Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum but it seems as though everyone here is pretty knowledgable and helpful- and representative of the general public so I would love your guidance/advice.

I just finished graduate school, my Master of Accountancy in particular, and am currently studying to take the CPA exam. I am starting a new job in Dallas as a Financial Analyst for a large corporation, making $81k plus bonuses and profit share. I am single, currently have about $26k in student loans to pay back, about $1k in cc debt, and hardly anything in my savings.

What do you think the smartest thing is that I do with my money? That salary is 5 times more than what I made all through college every year working in the mall so i know I will be set- I just wanna make sure im not reckless with it either. I really need a new car and was also considering saving for a home down payment. But I really am concerned as to whether I should hurry and pay down my student loans or spread it out. My employer will match up to 4% in 401k, dollar for dollar.

Any advice or input is appreciated! thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Holy crap. $81k? That is significantly more than most MSA grads make right out of school. Great job.

My advice:
-Get rid of the credit card debt. You should be able to do this quickly given your income.
-Establish an emergency fund. 6 months of living expenses is a good goal, in my opinion.
-Max out your 401k, a dollar for dollar match is awesome. Make sure you check to see what the vesting period for the match is, if any.
-In terms of your student loans, I would say that it depends on the interest rate. My boyfriend's are fixed at 2%, so we never pay extra on it--invest instead. Some people feel more comfortable aggressively paying them off in full for the piece of mind though, even when the interest rate is very low. Mine, on the other hand, average around 5.5%, so I pay extra towards the principal every month since I haven't been getting much more of a return than that on investing.

The car buying situation is up to you, I would personally buy used since new cars lose so much of their value so quickly.

Good luck passing the CPA exam! I'm studying too...

Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,242,871 times
Congratulations on your accomplishments!

I second Billiken's sage advice. The only thing I would do differently is make paying off the student loan a priority. I would build a three month reserve since you are single and pay off that student loan as fast as I could.

The other thing I would recommend is that once you get rid of your current debt is to save 20% of your income between a Roth IRA (max) and the rest into your employer's 401(k).

Buy the cheapest car your ego can afford and have some serious fun!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
Read Suz Orman's book about being young, single and broke. It is a great read for fresh out of college students with or without a job. It gives you lots of advice on how much to save, where to put it,etc. I bought it for my daughter who is a senior in high school.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
The very best advice I can give is for you to learn, and apply, the money mangement methods that Dave Ramsey teaches since these methods WORK!

Please.......take the time to read .....and apply....these common sense methods to improve your life.

Good luck to you!

Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan

Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com

Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I agree on the Dave Ramsey Plan. If you follow it all your working life, the retirement will be awesome!!!!!!! Debt free is the best feeling in the world.
As for a car, I bought used cheap for cash as I could afford it. I saved in a special account and upgraded cars as possible with cash. This week, I paid cash for the Mercedes I always wanted. I want to stick the free and clear title in the window becasue it feels so good.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:19 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctgNerd View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum but it seems as though everyone here is pretty knowledgable and helpful- and representative of the general public so I would love your guidance/advice.

I just finished graduate school, my Master of Accountancy in particular, and am currently studying to take the CPA exam. I am starting a new job in Dallas as a Financial Analyst for a large corporation, making $81k plus bonuses and profit share. I am single, currently have about $26k in student loans to pay back, about $1k in cc debt, and hardly anything in my savings.

What do you think the smartest thing is that I do with my money? That salary is 5 times more than what I made all through college every year working in the mall so i know I will be set- I just wanna make sure im not reckless with it either. I really need a new car and was also considering saving for a home down payment. But I really am concerned as to whether I should hurry and pay down my student loans or spread it out. My employer will match up to 4% in 401k, dollar for dollar.

I was in your shoes 18 years ago VERY similar when adjusted for inflation etc.

1) Your first year out of school, live CHEAP. Don't get an awesome apartment, new car etc. (Can you get just one more year out of your current car? Get a used one?) Unless you can get a cosigner or have good credit, that new car for 20k might wind up costing you 30k.

Living arrangement and car are your 2 biggest areas to save $$$. I lived in a metro area so I got rid of my car and had roomates. I killed my student loans off in 1 year and 2 years after that got married and was able to make the downpayment on my first home while paying for some of the wedding costs.

2) Pay off your student loan in <2 years via autopay and then keep that level of savings towards your own house etc. It's not tax deductible, get all that bad debt retired before doing much savings.

3) Taxes are going to kick you in the stones, consider a larger 401k contribution now (>10%) and then you can lower it down to just the company match as you get older and can itemize home interest and have dependent deductions. Obviously, putting <4% in is not even on the table and with your degree you are no dummy.

FYI - My student loan interest rate was 8%, not tax deductible. Paying it down was the same as finding a risk free investment offering an 8% after tax rate of return. NO BRAINER.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I agree on the Dave Ramsey Plan. If you follow it all your working life, the retirement will be awesome!!!!!!! Debt free is the best feeling in the world.
As for a car, I bought used cheap for cash as I could afford it. I saved in a special account and upgraded cars as possible with cash. This week, I paid cash for the Mercedes I always wanted. I want to stick the free and clear title in the window becasue it feels so good.
Damn Straight!

I turn 40 in a month and only owe about 30% of my house value in terms of mortgage). I can pay it off if I want but want to stay liquid and ZERO other debt and retirement, college etc. in great shape. If I do nothing more it will be paid off in 6-7 more years.

I too splurged on a sportscar I'd been eyeing after my wife died. Wandered in with my gradeschool aged kids in tow, wearing sweatpants etc. as I'd been mowing the lawn. The look on the salesmans face when I told him I wouldn't be financing it was priceless.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
You have a master's in accounting and you're asking a bunch of people on the internet how to handle your money?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctgNerd View Post

You are in a great position.

1) Rent--Dallas is cheap and property taxes are high. Rent simply in a safe 'hood.
2) Pay down CC debt immediately
3) buy a good used car
4) Max out 401K plus IRA--invest in a broad mutual fund from a place like Schwab with plenty of international exposure. Avoid the fads.
5) When you feel the urge to splurge, do so with intelligence

Fixed price lunch rather than dinners out
More home cooking
Wine rather than hard liquor or beer
Forego electronic toys
Buy 2-4 year old technology--don;t chase the cutting edge.
Good smart clothes--avoid the top retailers
Pay down your student debt--but after the CC
DO NOT let your cc bill top 1000 for longer than one month. Discipline.

Try to save 30% of your gross salary inclusive of the IRA & 401k. You are used to living on peanuts--take advantage of that default austerity.

Use that high savings to pay down your student debt.

You should be able to pay it off completely within three years.

You are in a great position. The next three years are critical. You have a chance to exit with considerable cash and freedom from debt. DO it right and you'll be in a great position going forward.

Congrats.
S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance