Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,971,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Brittany, You will get much better advice on this subject from your PARENTS, than an anonymous online forum. Your parents know you (your experience, capabilities, maturity) and also have a working, living knowledge of your area in terms of employment, cost-of-living, opportunities. They also love and care about you and will give you information that is in YOUR best interest. Ironically, far too many young people think, "my parents just don't understand me" ... while imagining that friends or even strangers do (? - go figure).
I agree. Forums are mostly a way for people to espouse their broad brush philosophical beliefs onto people they care nothing about. Your parents (and aunts, siblings, friends) know all your little details, quirks and personality traits - I would go to them and take what you read here with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,666,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but this is the best advice you've gotten here.

Committing to the armed forces is not the best advice for people. For some it's a great idea, others a good one and for some it's bad and yet still terrible for others. Your tooting has been reversed

Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,615,903 times
For a directionless youth who is unsure what she wants to do with her life, with vague ideas about obtaining an education, but whose parents are unable to foot the bill, and she doesn't get along with them in any case, I think this is exactly what is in order. She will learn a skill, learn discipline, have some time to grow and mature, and the GI Bill will enable her to completely escape the new normal of crushing student debt. This path worked for me and countless millions of others. The advice of you and others pretty much consigns her to a series of increasingly dead end jobs coupled with usurious student loans when she has no idea what she wants to study in any event. She needs to break away from this toxic, stilted environment and discover what she's made of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Committing to the armed forces is not the best advice for people. For some it's a great idea, others a good one and for some it's bad and yet still terrible for others. Your tooting has been reversed

Old 07-13-2014, 06:53 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,784,404 times
Quote:
For a directionless youth who is unsure what she wants to do with her life, with vague ideas about obtaining an education, but whose parents are unable to foot the bill, and she doesn't get along with them in any case, I think this is exactly what is in order. She will learn a skill, learn discipline, have some time to grow and mature, and the GI Bill will enable her to completely escape the new normal of crushing student debt. This path worked for me and countless millions of others. The advice of you and others pretty much consigns her to a series of increasingly dead end jobs coupled with usurious student loans when she has no idea what she wants to study in any event. She needs to break away from this toxic, stilted environment and discover what she's made of.
What thread are you reading that leads you to think all this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanynicolee View Post
My name is Brittany, I am 18 years old & beyond tired of living at my house. I'm not going to say my parents treat me bad because they don't, maybe some silly curfews sometimes but other than that they are very loving & caring. I live in Kentucky, in a really small town. (pop. 10,000 give or take) I am a graduate. I currently do not have a job. I am not planning to pursue moving out until i have a job or two. I will be living with two other girls (splitting all costs).
Renting mobile homes in my area is around $300 a month. I'm not completely sure if thats very cheap or not.
Im looking for tips on moving out, and being successful in living on my own.

Much love, Brittany.<3
That is the only post by the OP in this entire thread. It sounds like someone looking for advice on moving out. Not advice on "how do I turn my toxic life around." It's an 18 year old considering getting roommates instead of living at home.

Seriously... where are you getting this stuff from?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:

What happens if she wants out 3 weeks into basic? Walks away a year in? Again blanket advice doesn't work well in all cases. You don't know this girl from Adam and suggesting the armed forces and then giving yourself props is silly

Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Moving into mobile homes...no job currently...will get 'a job or two'...a high school graduate...obviously your recommended path to upward mobility, but the sad reality is this is a surefire route to a lifetime in the working poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
What thread are you reading that leads you to think all this?

That is the only post by the OP in this entire thread. It sounds like someone looking for advice on moving out. Not advice on "how do I turn my toxic life around." It's an 18 year old considering getting roommates instead of living at home.

Seriously... where are you getting this stuff from?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 PM

And what happens if she doesn't? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Your brilliant advice has her working at Dairy Queen. I guess your next advice is to invest in scratch-offs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What happens if she wants out 3 weeks into basic? Walks away a year in? Again blanket advice doesn't work well in all cases. You don't know this girl from Adam and suggesting the armed forces and then giving yourself props is silly

Old 07-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
And what happens if she doesn't? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Your brilliant advice has her working at Dairy Queen. I guess your next advice is to invest in scratch-offs...

Can you point out what advice I gave her that would land her at Dairy Queen? Nothing ventured nothing gained? You're right not many jobs you get arrested for walking away from

Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Why are other people encouraging an 18 year old not to live like an adult? She wants to get a job before moving out, understands she'll need roommates, and never said she wouldn't go to college (college costs money). A generation of young people are living with their parents because they can't stomach the idea of fending for themselves and living on a limited income; it's more comfy in daddy's basement. Give the girl some credit...
Because we are smart enough to realize that an 18 year-old should be getting an education so that he/she won't become a minimum wage slave. Moving out on your own at 18 and skipping university is short-sighted. It's pretty much a financial death sentence today.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,938,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because we are smart enough to realize that an 18 year-old should be getting an education so that he/she won't become a minimum wage slave. Moving out on your own at 18 and skipping university is short-sighted. It's pretty much a financial death sentence today.
I know that too, but she isn't planning out her whole life. She just said she wants to move out of her parents' house and get a job. If she were planning to stay in her parents' house and not get a job, everybody would be telling her to move out.

Why don't you take up a collection for about $240,000 and send her to university. In the meantime, she could use a job and a place to live. She's 18, not 8, and living with roommates is what young adults do. Living with parents until you're 30 is the worst social trend so far this century.

She'll probably go to college when she's older. About half of college students in the U.S. are "nontraditional" and pay their own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance