Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 05:58 AM

74 posts, read 182,658 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a student who is both gifted and has ADHD as well as level one autism and I am wondering whether there any school districts in PA that you would recommend for this population. 135 IQ and needs to be challenged academically or gets bored and gets into trouble but also needs a lot of social and emotional supports. Small student teacher ratio is a big class. We can live anywhere and would be specifically moving to Pennsylvania for public school services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 07:11 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
I don't know of specific private schools or academies that cater your situation, though I'm sure they exist in plenty in Philadelphia burbs.

But, there are several prestigious school districts that excel in special education needs in the Philadelphia suburbs. To name a few:

Radnor School District
Tredyffrin-Eastown School District
Lower Merion School District
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District
Wallingford-Swarthmore School District
Rose-Tree Media School District
Garnet Valley School District
West Chester Area School District
And several others...

Keep in mind home prices in those areas tend to skew high. Do you have any preferences on being near the city, airport, denser areas, more rural areas, budget, etc.?

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:52 AM

74 posts, read 182,658 times
Thank you for your replies. We appreciate them. We prefer to be 1 hour from major airport for work when needed but that’s not the driving force. Budget is $800k give or take for a home.
Greatest concern is school services / resources and understanding of twice exceptional children.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish07 View Post
Hello, I have a student who is both gifted and has ADHD as well as level one autism and I am wondering whether there any school districts in PA that you would recommend for this population. 135 IQ and needs to be challenged academically or gets bored and gets into trouble but also needs a lot of social and emotional supports. Small student teacher ratio is a big class. We can live anywhere and would be specifically moving to Pennsylvania for public school services.
Age of student?

Old 10-04-2023, 07:32 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish07 View Post

Norwin. Westmoreland county.

They literally invented the gifted immersion program (SEAL and SOAR) and have the highest college graduation rate in the US for the gifted students.

Plus we have one of the best music programs in the state if not country and the gifted and especially gifted ADHD kids naturally gravitate to it.

I moved here specifically to get my kid in there based on my experiences growing up and yes, he is ADHD as well.

Other schools in the state brag on their gifted programs that they 'adopt' the Norwin model. Why take the 'amazon prime chinese clone' when you can have the original, plus our taxes are way way less. You will have issues finding a place to live. we have almost no apartment vacancy and houses still are on the market for a few hours. Hire an advance person to work for you.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:52 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish07 View Post
hello, i have a student who is both gifted and has adhd as well as level one autism and i am wondering whether there any school districts in pa that you would recommend for this population. 135 iq and needs to be challenged academically or gets bored and gets into trouble but also needs a lot of social and emotional supports. Small student teacher ratio is a big class. We can live anywhere and would be specifically moving to pennsylvania for public school services.
Get her into an IEP review. Now. Today.

Old 10-08-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Get her into an IEP review. Now. Today.

GIEP

PDE requires it for anyone receiving gifted services, and they have to test in to start with.

Old 10-08-2023, 03:02 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
GIEP

PDE requires it for anyone receiving gifted services, and they have to test in to start with.
I was looking more at the behavior than the gifted piece. Until the behavior is fixed she could be another Einstein and it wouldn't matter. With an IEP there are limits to suspension, which it sounds, from either this thread or others that have been started, that will be coming soon.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:35 AM

A GIEP will automatically pull in learning support and emotional support if needed, but none of the gifted addons will ever apply unless the testing is done. My youngest with the GIEP also had an IEP automatically for his first 5 years here. Generally, the issues that plague the gifted evaporate with puberty and THOSE changes... If you even suspect your kid is 130+, they need to be sniffed out from a different angle

which illustrates why you have to use a different rule book for the gifted, conventional wisdom harms more than helps - we tend to end up drugging the bejeezus out of them, permanently destroying developing synapses. perhaps tens of thousands of times we have drugged the next Einstein into chemically disabled. (yes, in my spare time I am a gifted education activist with strong anti medication overtones)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania