Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 PM

37 posts, read 145,114 times

Advertisements

yes centralia coal mine is still burning i was just there and made a few videos a few days ago-i think its been burning over 40 years now-this is one of many spots where you can see smoke coming out of the ground-ground is hot to the touch in lots of places where no smoke is rising-also have video of the old town area- warped sidewalks,overgrown lots-no houses cept for 2 where people live is all i saw left there‪centralia pa-underground coal mine burning still-aug 1,2011-i was there-only saw 2 homes left there‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 06:34 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Found this on the tube:
shows Centralia right before they demolished it

‪Centralia PA - Coal fire destruction seen in 1988 film‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 PM

37 posts, read 145,114 times
another new video-shows ghost town-smoking coal-deserted roads town area just made 8-2-2011‪centralia pa movie 8-2-2011ghost town+smoking coal mine+deserted roads- town‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-07-2011, 02:37 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
I believe you were standing on the Buck Mountain vein. Somewhere in that vicinity (a slope "along South Street" is the only description my documents have) was a very old mine entrance that was sealed up decades ago. This particular passage runs east of town, bending south again around the Locust Mountain anticlinal. It is this vein that was ignited when the fire was first started in the 1960s.

So you were definitely standing above the burning section (in case you couldn't already tell by the smoke and hot ground). Chances are, you were pretty close to one of the many mine entrances.

I have located several slopes (mine entrances) through exploring and researching geologic maps. There are quite a few more, as well as dozens of exposed airshafts (enjoy your 600-foot freefall) and pirate collieries. All of them mean guaranteed death to anyone who enters. Be very, very careful wandering around the area. You won't know you've found an abandoned entrance until you've fallen in.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 15,233 times
I would like to point out that Centralia is under eminent domain, and being owned by the government they frown upon people being there. The last citizens were moved out early this year. As such I would advise posting videos or pictures of yourself in Centralia on the web. If caught trespassing such can be used as evidence against you. Food for thought.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihraraz View Post
they frown upon people being there. The last citizens were moved out early this year. As such I would advise posting videos or pictures of yourself in Centralia on the web. If caught trespassing such can be used as evidence against you. Food for thought.
This is not true.

None of the town is private property. It is entirely public land, thanks to possession by the government. As such you are welcome to walk wherever you would normally be permitted to walk -- HOWEVER, due to subsidence and the ongoing fire, walking off the main roads is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and SHOULD NOT be done.

Around some of the former colliery sites, there are "no trespassing" signs posted by the insurance company who now owns them. If you proceed against these signs, you are indeed trespassing and can be subject to criminal and civil liability. Refer to 18 PA Constitution § 3503.

Walking along the streets is not trespassing.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 PM

"Public use" it a very gray area. The Supreme court has not clear definition of it and often leaves it up to the state. Centralia land was taken for PUBLIC SAFETY{not a to turn into a state park} the zip was taken away, and the government has worked to get it off Google maps. They clearly do not want people in Centralia.
Centralia has state cops, Now as a cop you see someone in a place that has had all the properties condemned{or near most of them} and your employer has been trying to keep people off for decades. And consider all the crooked cops as we have seen during the Occupy Wall Street movement, and the messed up things going round do you really want to test your luck is what I am saying.

Is it really fair or right, I have my own opinions on the matter but they are not what the government will tell you if they decide they want to pick a fight.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihraraz View Post
And consider all the crooked cops as we have seen during the Occupy Wall Street movement, and the messed up things going round do you really want to test your luck is what I am saying.

Is it really fair or right, I have my own opinions on the matter but they are not what the government will tell you if they decide they want to pick a fight.
Lol I love how people want to try to make the cops out to be "crooked" or "belligerent" because they finally reacted after being constantly provoked by a bunch of spoiled brats who acted tougher than they really are. You're lucky the cops are much softer than they used to be. First of all, getting shot with a rubber bullet or bean bag is not the same as getting shot. It may hurt but it won't kill you. Secondly, every single example of "police brutality" was endlessly provoked and in response to "protesters" getting violent and causing riots. Real protesters used to be killed and beaten once upon a time just for protesting. You kids don't know a damn thing about police brutality.

Corrupt cops deal drugs and commit real crimes. They are an embarrassment to the badge and to the communities they swore to protect. The cops who dealt with that whinefest across the country are human and they eventually reacted as such. If anything, it makes the way the Philadelphia PD and Mayor Nutter handled things even more impressive and yet the "protesters" still made Nutter (who is from Philly) out to be a "mayor of the 1%" and the police out to be the gestapo. I'm not sure I could control myself the way the police did. When you see a bunch of hypocritical (protesting big corporations while using their products the whole time for starters) spoiled brats acting like animals and trying to push people around and act big, all the while costing taxpayers tons of money, it makes you angry. When the outside media continues to try to paint them as being heroic like the Arab Spring protesters instead of pointing out how full of crap they are, it makes you even angrier.

As for Centralia, it'd be pretty cool to see but I'm not brave enough to go walking around there. Either way, it's a shame what happened to that place.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Lol I love how people want to try to make the cops out to be "crooked" or "belligerent" because they finally reacted after being constantly provoked by a bunch of spoiled brats who acted tougher than they really are. You're lucky the cops are much softer than they used to be. First of all, getting shot with a rubber bullet or bean bag is not the same as getting shot. It may hurt but it won't kill you. Secondly, every single example of "police brutality" was endlessly provoked and in response to "protesters" getting violent and causing riots. Real protesters used to be killed and beaten once upon a time just for protesting. You kids don't know a damn thing about police brutality.

Corrupt cops deal drugs and commit real crimes. They are an embarrassment to the badge and to the communities they swore to protect. The cops who dealt with that whinefest across the country are human and they eventually reacted as such. If anything, it makes the way the Philadelphia PD and Mayor Nutter handled things even more impressive and yet the "protesters" still made Nutter (who is from Philly) out to be a "mayor of the 1%" and the police out to be the gestapo. I'm not sure I could control myself the way the police did. When you see a bunch of hypocritical (protesting big corporations while using their products the whole time for starters) spoiled brats acting like animals and trying to push people around and act big, all the while costing taxpayers tons of money, it makes you angry. When the outside media continues to try to paint them as being heroic like the Arab Spring protesters instead of pointing out how full of crap they are, it makes you even angrier.

As for Centralia, it'd be pretty cool to see but I'm not brave enough to go walking around there. Either way, it's a shame what happened to that place.
Not all cops are evil but NDAA just passed, as I said government will do as it wants and cops will go along because its a paycheck. Not everything the Occupy people did is right, but yeah we are ignorant kids we don't have leaders to show us how to do stuff proper so we are learning as we go. If you want to change that then do something other then complain about how things are being handled, At least the occupiers are doing something to try to change the system.
And I realize the cops do not have a easy job at occupy but you are making it like they are justified in everything they did, and if that is how you think I am sorry for you. But then macing people who are sitting down or throwing a smoke bomb into a group that was trying to help someone up that fell I can totally see why people would think that's justified ......You know why there have been no real deaths because if there were the people would go ballistic and the government knows this from its long experience of dealing with us.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:00 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times
It's still fascinating looking at all the old hotels, resorts and the abandoned 8 lane interstate that passes overhead when in Centralia. The inferno weakened the main pillar supports so they had to close it. I hear the Holiday Inn is still open and crowded most weekends, the new resort there with mud springs being heated by the fire beneath has been a real hit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania