Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 01:37 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I live in a 3 bed 2 full apartment, 1300 sq feet. It's 3 adults and 1 child at the moment. Plus, there are two dogs and one cat. Expecting a second child.

Lately, I feel like every day we are cleaning. Goal is in next 6 months throw out a lot of things, do a deep clean hire a cleaning service, organize & organize, and so forth.

Any tips or tricks? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 05:23 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
One room at a time and be ruthless.

Anything you swear you will use or wear again, put in a box and revisit in 3 months. If you haven't missed it, out it goes.

I got rid of alot of duplicate kitchen stuff, too. slotted spoons, extra plates that were never used, coffee cups (there are only 2 of us). etc etc.

Anything in disrepair that you know you won't fix or clothing that is worn, torn, in need of something, toss that as well.

I'm a fan of donating, too. Shelters, Goodwill type places, local rummage sales, churches, drop that stuff off. Someone will be able to use it. I put 'free' stuff at the end of my driveway, too.

Stay strong!!! best of luck

Old 04-16-2024, 07:04 AM

Appreciate it trying to convince the Misses to rent a house after our lease ends in Spring of next year. Just to have space.

Yes organization is key. We have about 6 hours a week of free time to deal clean organize and so forth. Lately energy has been sacked due to colds. Plan to get rid of a lot of clothes. Lot of small space storage hacks such as hanging dressers for clothes.

Work towards two dressers and a smaller bookshelf.

Trying to convince the Misses move the 4 y.o. in our room we move into hers. Use the walk in closet as storage space.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Someone needs to move out for the safety of the child and each other. Square footage is not the issue.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
With two dogs and a cat, you'll have to be vacuuming/sweeping every day to keep the fur at bay.

Other than that, why is organizing your belongings such a large task? Did you inherit a household full of furniture/stuff from a parent or grandparent? Does the 3rd adult come with a whole household full of stuff?

If you have accumulated a lot of unuseful clutter, I'd recommend you read that best seller The Joy of Tidying to get yourself in the mindset of throwing out stuff you don't need.

Best wishes with it.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:06 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
It's 3 adults and 1 child at the moment. Plus, there are two dogs and one cat. Expecting a second child.

Lately, I feel like every day we are cleaning.
You have kids and THREE animals... you should be cleaning every day.

IS the third adult pulling their own weight in that reagrd?

Old 04-16-2024, 11:32 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Why do you only have six hours per week to work on cleaning a small place out? Saturday after breakfast - all hands on deck. General cleaning with four people two dogs and a cat - daily including vacuuming, dishes, laundry, bathrooms.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:45 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Hi, my wife and I live in a 3 bed 2 full apartment, 1300 sq feet. It's 3 adults and 1 child at the moment. Plus, there are two dogs and one cat. Expecting a second child.

Lately, I feel like every day we are cleaning. Goal is in next 6 months throw out a lot of things, do a deep clean hire a cleaning service, organize & organize, and so forth.

Who are the three adults? I love animals and at one time, I had two dogs and one cat but in 2,600 square feet. You have two many animals for your space.

You have vacuum daily and wipe down surfaces in bathroom/kitchen every single day.

If you can afford it, a cleaning service every two weeks would take the edge of it.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Why do you only have six hours per week to work on cleaning a small place out? Saturday after breakfast - all hands on deck. General cleaning with four people two dogs and a cat - daily including vacuuming, dishes, laundry, bathrooms.
Just work schedules and time at home. Once our little one is up game over. Should get an extra 4 hrs next Fall. That can change with the second addition.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:22 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:

As a matter of fact.

Watch the Marie Kondo's Netflix series on the joy of tidying up. Her books are worth reading, but watch the series. It's worth the time. Each episode is with a family/couple/individual who is trying to get on top of things.

IIRC, you start out by imagining how you want to live, what kind of house you want to live in. Thank your home for sheltering you.

Then start separating out your belongings by categories.

She recommends starting with clothes. Pile everything out of the closets and drawers and on the bed. Get organizers. Then start pulling out items of clothing, hold them to you for a moment, and see if they "spark joy."

If they "spark joy," then put them away. She has quite the folding method. Everything looks so neat. I don't go that far for everyday things. But for things I store, I do. Everything is on edge so it is easy to see at a glance and to pull out somethings without causing a disturbance in a whole pile.

There's a certain order that she finds works best. I've forgotten what it is. But always start with clothes because that's how your train yourself to tell if something "sparks joy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting