Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times

Advertisements

I am struggling to see the reasoning behind something. I have no children by choice.

Why do Moms feel the need to dress their children, girls mostly, exactly alike. I have 2 friends who each have 3 girls stairstep in ages and they all wear the exact same outfit. Everywhere! My BFF's daughter has 3 girls 18mos apart and they are dressed identically - down to the oversized bow in their hair.
My nephew's wife took it 1 step further and she matched her 2 girls. White sweater, black pants, black tennies. white top, red pants and black mary janes for Christmas. I don't understand. please advise me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 02:37 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Does it really matter how they are dressed?
My mom did that with us 60 years ago... it's nothing new!

You can ask your nephew and his wife why they do it.

Old 07-11-2023, 02:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
We did that but only on special occasions. Mostly Easter and when we went to the State Fair. For the latter, Mom put us and our cousin in matching t shirts so she could pick us out of the crowd if we got separated.

Does your nephew's family do this daily or just for display?

Old 07-11-2023, 03:37 PM

2,032 posts, read 988,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am struggling to see the reasoning behind something. I have no children by choice.

Why do Moms feel the need to dress their children, girls mostly, exactly alike. I have 2 friends who each have 3 girls stairstep in ages and they all wear the exact same outfit. Everywhere! My BFF's daughter has 3 girls 18mos apart and they are dressed identically - down to the oversized bow in their hair.
My nephew's wife took it 1 step further and she matched her 2 girls. White sweater, black pants, black tennies. white top, red pants and black mary janes for Christmas. I don't understand. please advise me??
I rarely, rarely see that anymore. One explanation you gave yourself...for a holiday.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:04 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
Quote:

When children are young its likely because it is an attractive look. I think its very cute. My kids are in their 20s and they still, on their own, buy holiday themed pajamas together.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:25 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
My great nieces are 19 & 21 now, so no they don't dress alike. My nephews wife did this all the time when the girls were under the age of 8 or 9. finally she let them choose their own styles and they are very different. The two mothers I spoke about do this daily, every day both sets of girls are dressed identically. One set of girls are 9,7 & 5, the other are 7,5 &14 months. I can understand for Holidays - makes for cute photos, environment etc. But daily? And what about developing their own style. Maybe it's just me.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:34 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
My great nieces are 19 & 21 now, so no they don't dress alike. My nephews wife did this all the time when the girls were under the age of 8 or 9. finally she let them choose their own styles and they are very different. The two mothers I spoke about do this daily, every day both sets of girls are dressed identically. One set of girls are 9,7 & 5, the other are 7,5 &14 months. I can understand for Holidays - makes for cute photos, environment etc. But daily? And what about developing their own style. Maybe it's just me.
Don't worry! These kids will hit their teenage years & it will call come crashing down! A big nothing problem. I'm not even sure why you are worried about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
My kids are in their 20s and they still, on their own, buy holiday themed pajamas together.
It's the same with my kids! So cute!

Old 07-12-2023, 06:51 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
It's so cute when they're little; mom (or dad) just can't stop!
It comes down to taste and personal aesthetic. Parents like it, doesn't hurt anybody...
Eventually the kids will grow up and instead on being themselves.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:01 AM

1,879 posts, read 892,017 times
I have a friend who is in her 30s that dresses her three girls alike, and she matches them. I think it's cute. Her kids want to match her, and they all enjoy doing it. You're only young once. Make the memories. Take the pictures. You can see it as "show", but I assure you, they don't care what you or anybody else thinks.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:09 AM

8,074 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
My great nieces are 19 & 21 now, so no they don't dress alike. My nephews wife did this all the time when the girls were under the age of 8 or 9. finally she let them choose their own styles and they are very different. The two mothers I spoke about do this daily, every day both sets of girls are dressed identically. One set of girls are 9,7 & 5, the other are 7,5 &14 months. I can understand for Holidays - makes for cute photos, environment etc. But daily? And what about developing their own style.
You stated that they did develop their own style. I'm not seeing the problem with dressing two daughters alike when they are little. I had two sisters and they dressed in matching outfits sometimes, but as a boy who wasn't involved in that, I have no idea how old they were when or why it stopped. At some point kids just age out of it, maybe after the older one complains to Mom.

Have you asked the girls about it? Did they hate it when they were little? They'll probably just giggle and say OMG now that they're grown.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me.
IDK, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting