Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 09:20 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times

Advertisements

Kids go through some crazt bizarre phases as they grow. Many do fixate on something that seems way over the top to adults - cars, water, vacuums, trains, etc. but it can very well be just a part of normal development.

That said, autism is now a spectrum - a very wide spectrum. There are many people who participate perfectly well in society and have a few things that one would associate with an ASD.

If there is concern, consult a professional. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 10:19 AM

376 posts, read 321,600 times
It could also be ADHD which can share some signs of autism.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:08 PM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
That said, autism is now a spectrum - a very wide spectrum. There are many people who participate perfectly well in society and have a few things that one would associate with an ASD.
Probably TOO wide. I suspect what used to be accepted as shyness or introversion is now (mis)diagnosed as autism.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:15 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Probably TOO wide. I suspect what used to be accepted as shyness or introversion is now (mis)diagnosed as autism.
otterhere...sincerely asking...do you know anyone on the spectrum? Do you know anyone who has a child on the spectrum?

I ask, because it seems like (my impression) that you've said similar things in the past. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
otterhere...sincerely asking...do you know anyone on the spectrum? Do you know anyone who has a child on the spectrum?

I ask, because it seems like (my impression) that you've said similar things in the past. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes; I do. As I explained earlier in this thread, I tried to alert someone to early signs of autism in her own child. But I also think mere personality variations are now being lumped in with legitimate disorders. It happens with a lot of things that become "the disease of the week."

Old 06-17-2022, 12:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,929 times
Quote:
Okay... But instead of having them sign AND vocalize, why not just have them vocalize?
Because children develop the ability to communicate through sign earlier than through speech.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:28 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Quote:
Yes; I do. As I explained earlier in this thread, I tried to alert someone to early signs of autism in her own child. But I also think mere personality variations are now being lumped in with legitimate disorders. It happens with a lot of things that become "the disease of the week."
Oh, I'm sorry, I do remember you saying you tried to alert the parent. I forgot.

IMO, this isn't a "disease of the week" thing...autism has been around way longer than since my kid has been around...and my kid is a grown man in his 30's...

But...I can kind of understand where you're coming from. The science changes all the time. When my son was diagnosed with Aspergers, it was a 'newish' diagnosis...but never the less...SOMETHING was up. He wasn't diagnosed with Aspergers until he was 15, although we ALL knew something was going on. He'd been diagnosed as ADHD and Defiance Disorder. When he was diagnosed with autism...it made sense.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:58 PM

It was around but exceedingly rare. Now it's exploded. As I said earlier, either it's being over-diagnosed OR something is causing children to suddenly develop autism in huge numbers, and - if that's the case - we should investigate what that is.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:39 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
It's definitely not new. I'm 68 and I remember a boy in 4th grade who would sit in his desk chair and rock all day. No one did anything to help him. There was no special Ed. He was just considered a weird kid. No idea what happened to him since we moved and I went to a different school after that year.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:05 AM

7,369 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
It's definitely not new. I'm 68 and I remember a boy in 4th grade who would sit in his desk chair and rock all day. No one did anything to help him. There was no special Ed. He was just considered a weird kid. No idea what happened to him since we moved and I went to a different school after that year.
In the 1960's, my cousin rocked back and forward in front of a wall, purposely hitting his head. My aunt brought him to the doctor - because repeatedly hitting your own head is odd - and the doctor said my cousin was fine. ???

I have two male cousin (in their 50's) and a nephew with autism. There is a definite autism gene. It's like my husband's family with a single case of bipolar in the last three generations - FIL's cousin, his daughter and his sister's grandson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting