Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times

Advertisements

OK, I'll post a male point of view here, because it sounds like an awful lot of overreacting!!

At age 12/13, boys are hitting puberty. I remember at that age, pretty much EVERY boy I knew had exposed himself to me and others. It wasn't some sexual predatory thing, more like boys discovering themselves. If this were a sign of future sexual issues, then all men would be in prison!

Even so, the boys need to understand that it's not appropriate, so I'd tell the parents, but not make a big deal of it, but try not to embarass the boy. Calling police or CPS is insane. Oh, and I recall several girls exposing their breasts to me as they were developing, so I'd say it's not only a male issue. Just kids hitting puberty and doing what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
OK, I'll post a male point of view here, because it sounds like an awful lot of overreacting!!

At age 12/13, boys are hitting puberty. I remember at that age, pretty much EVERY boy I knew had exposed himself to me and others. It wasn't some sexual predatory thing, more like boys discovering themselves. If this were a sign of future sexual issues, then all men would be in prison!

Even so, the boys need to understand that it's not appropriate, so I'd tell the parents, but not make a big deal of it, but try not to embarass the boy. Calling police or CPS is insane. Oh, and I recall several girls exposing their breasts to me as they were developing, so I'd say it's not only a male issue. Just kids hitting puberty and doing what they do.
I agree he's not some predator. But at the same time, there's a difference between the kid exposing himself to his friends and the kid exposing himself to ADULTS (or to younger children).

Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree he's not some predator. But at the same time, there's a difference between the kid exposing himself to his friends and the kid exposing himself to ADULTS (or to younger children).
True. I'd just try to walk the line between freaking the kid out and explaining social norms. Calling the cops and putting a 12 year old on the sex offenders list just seems extreme to me.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,890 times
Quote:
True. I'd just try to walk the line between freaking the kid out and explaining social norms. Calling the cops and putting a 12 year old on the sex offenders list just seems extreme to me.
I agree. He needs to be told to keep his pants up, but not in therapy or by the police. He's 12, you have to ask yourself why you would get so bent. There's a huge difference between exposing himself (and you have to consider the context), and masturbating and drooling in front of you.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
Here is the problem, my neighbor has exposed himself to myself and another neighbor.(He is twelve, I believe) While this is shoking to us, I think we should let the parents know so they can get him for him. What do you think? Would you want to know? Should I tell them, or should I call authorities? Need advice.
Tell the parents.
Let them handle it.

If it continues and they seem unresponsive, perhaps tell someone at his school.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,257 times
I would want to know so I could deal with him before he gets charged with some criminal offense that could have a ripple effect on his future. I would let the parents decide how to deal with him. But I would also let them know that if it happens one more time, your calling the cops.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM

My parents should have called the cops on the girl down the street who kept flashing me with her breasts in 6th grade. She's probably a predator in need of a prison sentence these days

Old 03-03-2009, 03:38 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,890 times
Quote:
My parents should have called the cops on the girl down the street who kept flashing me with her breasts in 6th grade. She's probably a predator in need of a prison sentence these days
But women think only boys and men are perverts and molesters. Must be they don't take into account all those female school teachers who take 13 and 14 year old boys across state lines, borders and have babies with them.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
But women think only boys and men are perverts and molesters. Must be they don't take into account all those female school teachers who take 13 and 14 year old boys across state lines, borders and have babies with them.
Of course those teachers get 3 months in jail and a few years of probation and everyone says the boys got what they wanted. When it's a MALE teacher and a GIRL, we have people buying guns/getting guns ready planning to kill the guy.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I agree fully. I didn't mean that he should be locked up. I just think he needs to be taught more about what's appropriate and what's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting