Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,314 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see that program about five days ago? I think she and her family came off really well. I've been to a few pagan and wicca ceremonies and was really impressed by them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
I had not seen this one. There had been another with a pagan family as well- with a totally crazy psycho mom from the other family that got so much attention they had her do another swap. (The swap with the pagan family could have been the revisit, not sure of the order)
I found this one online and watched it.
When the mom's changed the rules and the boy from the LA family got to be his dad's coach (acting like his dad) and was pounding the stick like his dad and the stick shattered....oh man! That was some magic from the universe there.
I recognized it before the show focused on it and I was happy to see that the pagan mom also recognized the symbolism behind the shattering of the stick.
Very cool episode.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I had not seen this one. There had been another with a pagan family as well- with a totally crazy psycho mom from the other family that got so much attention they had her do another swap. (The swap with the pagan family could have been the revisit, not sure of the order)
I found this one online and watched it.
When the mom's changed the rules and the boy from the LA family got to be his dad's coach (acting like his dad) and was pounding the stick like his dad and the stick shattered....oh man! That was some magic from the universe there.
I recognized it before the show focused on it and I was happy to see that the pagan mom also recognized the symbolism behind the shattering of the stick.
Very cool episode.
Yeah, that's the one I saw. Maybe it was a rerun.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 PM

The crazy lady one I had seen before was actually on Trading Spouses. I did not realize that there was two different shows of the same kind, but whatever...lol.
The one you saw was a rerun that aired a few weeks ago. Wife Swap did have a previous pagan family swapped with a motocross family. I'm going to find that one too. Supposedly the pagan mom in that one is one of the airy fairy living in a fantasy world types....not a good representation for us sound pagans.
The mom in the LA/Salam swap was wonderful and most like the pagan moms I know.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
I will have to look up the new episode, and it would be nice to see a reasonably balanced portrait.

I remember the first one. She struck me as in the same vein as the ultra religious christans who let religion dominate everything else in life and wear it on their sleve.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,322 times
There have been a couple of pagan families on Wife Swap. There was one where a pagan mom switched with a motocross family (Wife Swap - Starling/Sweany-Ernst - Transcript. I can't find the full video of this episode online.

There was another one where a mom from Iowa switched places with a pagan mom from Georgia
Thompson/Askam Wife Swap.

From what I remember of these, the pagan families weren't shown in the best light, but then again, I don't think any of the families are really shown int he best light. I still like watching the show. The last one Fireheart/Terry was a good episode I thought. They actually didn't make the pagan family sound crazy.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times
Sorry, I just wandered in here. What did the shattering stick mean? I'm just curious (always, always curious).

Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Sorry, I just wandered in here. What did the shattering stick mean? I'm just curious (always, always curious).
The son was making a big deal about being 'in charge', so the universe gently reminded him that authority is not always about who has the bigger stick.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times
Thanks

Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
The son was making a big deal about being 'in charge', so the universe gently reminded him that authority is not always about who has the bigger stick.
That's not at all how I saw it. The son was not making a big deal. He was instructed to act like his father and that's exactly what he did. The boy was not on any power trip at all. The son did not need any lesson about authority, he was a kid that aimed to please, almost a little too much.
The stick was dad's stick and dad was way too hard and demanding of his son, who did his best to please his father. The Pagan mother had the father and son trade places. Had the son acting like his father so the father could see how it was for the son. Dad got to be treated like he treats his son.
The son had a lot of stored up frustration and the opportunity to roll play was a good call on the pagan moms part.
When the son was being like his father and pounding the stick like his father, the stick shattered.
To me it represents a 'breaking' of a not so good way of authority from the dad.
The Universe was not telling the son anything, the Universe was talking to the dad. The Universe took away dad's stick. The Universe gave the son a moment of power, a healing action. With the stick shattering in his hands, it is symbolic for the son in that all the frustration and things he wanted to say to dad about his strict methods is all self with in a single moment, the shattering of the stick.

It's the end of the rough treatment from the father towards his son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism