Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,303 times

Advertisements

Who are yours? Are they perfect? Can you talk about their faults as well as their traits you most admire? Do you have the same heroes today as you did say 5, 10, 20 years ago or more? Can you see anything that they have in common with each other?

Mine: John Lennon, Muhammad Ali, and Frank Sinatra, all controversial, I'm sure there are some on this board that loathe them, but they have always been my heroes, and what I can immediately see that they have in common? Courage of their convictions.

Lennon's faults? He was naive, gullible, thought that lying in bed for a week or sitting in a burlap bag could help end the Vietnam War. Took cheap and mean shots at McCartney after the break-up. Wasted much of his life and talent with hard drugs. But he was, imo, if not the most mature or strongest guy in the world, one who's heart was as true as any. When he adopted America as his home he did his bit to address racism; befriended Black Panther leaders and anti-war activists like Jerry Ruben, and of course took a lot of heat. In time he saw he was being used, but again he was I believe sincere.

Ali? He could be arrogant, "proudful", vain, even cruel sometimes in the way he treated Joe Frazier out of the ring, a guy who helped him financially when he was down. And some may see his refusal to go to Vietnam as cowardice, as treason, or as some form of elitism that said he thought he was above participating in a war that others who didn't have his juice, or his clout or a college deferment had no choice but to go to: but Ali lost a lot in those three years of banishment. Besides the money and the love of fans, he lost his prime fighting years. As great as he was, I don't think we saw the best of Ali in the ring.

Sinatra? He could be a bully, vindictive in a very ugly way. Once you had wronged him, unless you were someone he had an inordinate amount of love for, you were dead to him. For example: After he had worked hard to get JFK elected, not the least of which was going to Chicago mob boss Sam Giancana to "influence" the polls in Chicago and W.VA, two vital precincts to a Kennedy victory, he was told that the President would be staying at his Palm Springs spread on a CA visit. As he did everything, Sinatra went all out to make his house worthy of the visit, even added a "Presidential Wing", so Jack would be comfortable in his stay. But then what happened? Some say because Bobby talked his brother out of it, because of Frank's mob associations, the same associations that got him elected in the first place, arrangement were made for Jack to stay down the road with that other crooner, Bing Crosby, a Republican! The go between through all this had been Peter Lawford, Jack's brother in law, and Frank saw it as a betrayal, a good enough reason to ex Lawford out of his life; figured Peter should have been able to deliver the President. From that time on Lawford's career tanked, he eventually lost his wife, got few acting roles and retreated to a life of self-destruction...

BUT, Frank could be one of the most loyal guys in the world, refused to turn his back on the Giancanna's and Fischetti's of the world when it would have made his life a lot easier to do so. "When I was on my a*ss, these guys were the only ones not to forget about me." And in the '40's and '50's when Frank was one of the first major acts to play Vegas, he refused to work at any hotel that didn't allow performers like Lena Horne and Sammy Davis and Nat Cole stay in the hotel. If they don't stay, I don't play."

There's a line in one of my favorite Paul Newman movies, "Hud", where his father's character, played by the great Melvyn Douglas, says, "Little by litte, the texture of the country changes because of the people we admire." And I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
My hero is Batman. Why? Because he does not have superpowers and uses his brain to get out of difficut situations.
I also like Spider Man because "with great power comes great responsibilty".

Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
My hero is Batman. Why? Because he does not have superpowers and uses his brain to get out of difficut situations.
I also like Spider Man because "with great power comes great responsibilty".
Nobody in real life has inspired you?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,437 times
One of my best friends is a hero of mine. She is amazing - optimistic, positive, cheerful, motivating, a shoulder to cry, a shoulder to celebrate with, a shoulder to just sit in silence with when I don't know what to say. She is genuine through and through - a complete burst of sunshine and warmth. She inspires me to be a better person. I absolutely love her.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
One of my best friends is a hero of mine. She is amazing - optimistic, positive, cheerful, motivating, a shoulder to cry, a shoulder to celebrate with, a shoulder to just sit in silence with when I don't know what to say. She is genuine through and through - a complete burst of sunshine and warmth. She inspires me to be a better person. I absolutely love her.
Wow, that's beautiful, and you're lucky to have someone you admire that much "in" your life. Now that you've made me think about it, I've had a few heroes "in" my life, too. Any famous people whose examples have inspired you?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,122,326 times
My parents-They taught me independence. At the time I didn't understand why they would have me watch them cook in the kitchen but now thanks to them, they've passed their cooking skills down to me. They also taught me to stay true to myself and those God puts in my life; never be afraid to stick up for those who can't defend themselves, etc. Whenever they made a mistake, they weren't too proud to say "I'm sorry, I messed up" That made me respect them even more because they were human. As I live a life of honor and integrity, I know they're smiling down upon me to this day.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Wow, that's beautiful, and you're lucky to have someone you admire that much "in" your life. Now that you've made me think about it, I've had a few heroes "in" my life, too. Any famous people whose examples have inspired you?

Hmm. I find Robespierre absolutely inspiring, but many people will take that the wrong way lol.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Hmm. I find Robespierre absolutely inspiring, but many people will take that the wrong way lol.
Well, talk about what you find particularly inspiring. IMO, people don't have to be perfect, are never perfect anyway, to inspire us in some way.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Nobody in real life has inspired you?

Honestly? No.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
My parents-They taught me independence. At the time I didn't understand why they would have me watch them cook in the kitchen but now thanks to them, they've passed their cooking skills down to me. They also taught me to stay true to myself and those God puts in my life; never be afraid to stick up for those who can't defend themselves, etc. Whenever they made a mistake, they weren't too proud to say "I'm sorry, I messed up" That made me respect them even more because they were human. As I live a life of honor and integrity, I know they're smiling down upon me to this day.
You are lucky to have had parents that stood up for the right things. Those traits are ones that I find particularly inspiring as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics