Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,427,785 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday March 20, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you live in the U.S., are you ever given Canadian coins in your change ?
If you live in Canada, are you ever given American coins in your change ?
Have you accidentally used a foreign coin in a machine (vending/coin-operated, or self-checkout kiosk) ?

Extra Credit:
Have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know) ?
Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ?

Bonus:
Have you taken sequential (whether across minutes, years, or another interval) photos of the same place or thing (not just of same person), to show how it changed over time ?

Just for Fun:
Have you played the game “Battleship” ?
If so, which version: puzzles on paper, plastic boards with pegs, electronic and/or “talking” model, or computer/console ?

LINK ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_(game)

Today in History:
1922: Birth of actor, writer & director Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show, Ocean’s Thirteen)
1931: Birth of actor & musician Hal Linden (Barney Miller, Blacke’s Magic)
1948: Birth of actor & voice artist John de Lancie (Star Trek, Stargate SG-1)
1950: Birth of actor William Hurt (The Accidental Tourist, Damages)
1956: Tunisia becomes independent of France
1957: Birth of actress Theresa Russell (Black Widow, Spider-Man 3)
1958: Birth of actress Holly Hunter (Raising Arizona, Saving Grace)
1959: Birth of author Mary Roach (“Packing for Mars”, “Grunt”)
1963: Birth of actor David Thewlis (Divorcing Jack, Harry Potter series)
1968: Birth of journalist & author A. J. Jacobs (“The Guinea Pig Diaries”, “The Year of Living Biblically”)
1970: Birth of actor Michael Rapaport (Prison Break, Justified)
1985: Libby Riddles becomes the first woman to win Alaska’s Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
1999: California’s Legoland theme park opens

Today’s Word:
skullduggery /ˌskəlˈdəɡ(ə)rē/ (n.): Being “up to no good”-misdeeds concealed by trickery & dishonesty. Bad behavior, dishonorable conduct.

Today Is:
World Sparrow Day
First Day of Spring
French Language Day (UN)
World Storytelling Day
Atheist Pride Day
International Astrology Day
-this week is-
National Button Week
Shakespeare Week
World Folktales & Fables Week
National Fix A Leak Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper & lower left-

Thought for the Day:
“I believe that secrecy is toxic, that it empowers those who wish you harm, and keeps you from eliciting the comfort of those who care.”
-Ayelet Waldman

Wishing you an enlightened and marvelous equinox Monday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 AM

44,757 posts, read 62,145,227 times
today’s question:
if you live in the u.s., are you ever given canadian coins in your change ? Rarely.
If you live in canada, are you ever given american coins in your change ?
Have you accidentally used a foreign coin in a machine (vending/coin-operated, or self-checkout kiosk) ? No.

extra credit:
have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know) ? Years ago when I went to some night clubs.
Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ? Once.

bonus:
have you taken sequential (whether across minutes, years, or another interval) photos of the same place or thing (not just of same person), to show how it changed over time ? Have, yes.

just for fun:
have you played the game “battleship” ? Probably 50+ years ago.
If so, which version: Puzzles on paper, plastic boards with pegs, electronic and/or “talking” model, or computer/console ?[/b][/color]
[color=darkred]link ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/battleship_(game)

today’s picture:
entrance & exit are at upper & lower left-

wishing you an enlightened and marvelous equinox monday quote] U-2 cloven

Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 AM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
Today’s Question:
Occasionally and I turn right around and spend them as if they're USD.
If you don't have time ot exchange USD for CAD the border areas at least are
more than happy to take your cash at an exchange rate they find favorable.

Have you accidentally used a foreign coin in a machine (vending/coin-operated, or self-checkout kiosk) ?
No. I keep most foreign coins, including a small sampling of Canadian, or give them to someone who wants them.

Extra Credit:
Have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know) ?
I have, but never been bounced. Yet.
Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ?
Nope.

Bonus:
Have you taken sequential (whether across minutes, years, or another interval) photos of the same place or thing (not just of same person), to show how it changed over time ?
I have. I've done that with an elm tree, taking a photo every month for a year.
I've heard of families that take pix of the kids every birthday.

Just for Fun:
I have played that boring, pointless game.
If so, which version: puzzles on paper, plastic boards with pegs, electronic and/or “talking” model, or computer/console ?

And a benevolent and erudite vernal occurrence to you too.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:

Bonus:

Just for Fun:
If so, which version: puzzles on paper, plastic boards with pegs, electronic and/or “talking” model, or computer/console ? Both

Today in History:
1922: Birth of actor, writer & director Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show, Ocean’s Thirteen)
1931: Birth of actor & musician Hal Linden (Barney Miller, Blacke’s Magic)
1948: Birth of actor & voice artist John de Lancie (Star Trek, Stargate SG-1)
1950: Birth of actor William Hurt (The Accidental Tourist, Damages)
1956: Tunisia becomes independent of France
1957: Birth of actress Theresa Russell (Black Widow, Spider-Man 3)
1958: Birth of actress Holly Hunter (Raising Arizona, Saving Grace)
1959: Birth of author Mary Roach (“Packing for Mars”, “Grunt”)
1963: Birth of actor David Thewlis (Divorcing Jack, Harry Potter series)
1968: Birth of journalist & author A. J. Jacobs (“The Guinea Pig Diaries”, “The Year of Living Biblically”)
1970: Birth of actor Michael Rapaport (Prison Break, Justified)
1985: Libby Riddles becomes the first woman to win Alaska’s Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
1999: California’s Legoland theme park opens

Today’s Word:
skullduggery /ˌskəlˈdəɡ(ə)rē/ (n.): Being “up to no good”-misdeeds concealed by trickery & dishonesty. Bad behavior, dishonorable conduct.

Today Is:
World Sparrow Day
First Day of Spring
French Language Day (UN)
World Storytelling Day
Atheist Pride Day

-this week is-
National Button Week
Shakespeare Week
National Fix A Leak Week

Thought for the Day:
“I believe that secrecy is toxic, that it empowers those who wish you harm, and keeps you from eliciting the comfort of those who care.”
-Ayelet Waldman

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
Today’s Question:
- A penny here and there that I did not notice until later but not in a long time.

If you live in Canada, are you ever given American coins in your change ? - N/A

- Nope. But once here I put a nickle in the laundry machine by mistake and I had a hard time getting it out.

Extra Credit:
- Sure

Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ? - Nope

Bonus:
- Haven't.

Just for Fun:
- No, only vaguely heard of it...

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 AM

21,743 posts, read 8,880,895 times

Today’s Question:
If you live in the U.S., are you ever given Canadian coins in your change?
It doesn't happen very often, but it happens.

No, but I've done that on purpose. It never worked.

Extra Credit:
Have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know)?
When I was single my girlfriends and I used to sometimes go to bars, so I guess the answer is yes.
No, I haven't ever done that.

Bonus:
I'm not sure if this counts, but I took a photo of the house I lived in as a little girl when I was visiting Southern California in the 1980s. Then I captured a screen shot of the house as it looks now on Google street view.

Just for Fun:
Have you played the game “Battleship”?

I've never played that. As a rule I am hopeless at strategy games.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,417,548 times
Thanks cloven for starting off the new week for us!

Today’s Question:

Sorry, not living in the US and not in Canada either...

Extra Credit:
Have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know) ? Yes.
Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ? No.

Bonus:
Have you taken sequential (whether across minutes, years, or another interval) photos of the same place or thing (not just of same person), to show how it changed over time ? No.

Just for Fun:
Have you played the game “Battleship” ? Yes.

Today Is:
World Sparrow Day
First Day of Spring
French Language Day (UN)
World Storytelling Day
Atheist Pride Day
-this week is-
National Button Week
Shakespeare Week
National Fix A Leak Week

Have a terrific day!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,879,076 times

Today’s Question:
If you live in the U.S., are you ever given Canadian coins in your change ? Used to get Canadian coins a lot, but rarely now.

Have you accidentally used a foreign coin in a machine (vending/coin-operated, or self-checkout kiosk) ? Haven't

Extra Credit:
Have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know) ? Don't think so.
Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ? Haven't

Bonus:
Have you taken sequential (whether across minutes, years, or another interval) photos of the same place or thing (not just of same person), to show how it changed over time ? Haven't

Just for Fun:
Have you played the game “Battleship” ? Have

Today’s Word:
skullduggery /ˌskəlˈdəɡ(ə)rē/ (n.): Being “up to no good”-misdeeds concealed by trickery & dishonesty. Bad behavior, dishonorable conduct. My dad used to ask what skullduggery we were up to.

Today Is:
World Sparrow Day
First Day of Spring
French Language Day (UN)
World Storytelling Day
Atheist Pride Day
-this week is-
National Button Week
Shakespeare Week
National Fix A Leak Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper & lower left-

Thought for the Day:
-Ayelet Waldman

Thanks, cloven!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,705,520 times
Today’s Question:
If you live in the U.S., are you ever given Canadian coins in your change ? Not in a long time
Have you accidentally used a foreign coin in a machine (vending/coin-operated, or self-checkout kiosk) ? Nope

Extra Credit:
Have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know) ? Yup
Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ? Nope

Bonus:
Have you taken sequential (whether across minutes, years, or another interval) photos of the same place or thing (not just of same person), to show how it changed over time ? Nope

Just for Fun:
Have you played the game “Battleship” ? Yup
If so, which version: puzzles on paper, plastic boards with pegs, electronic and/or “talking” model, or computer/console ? Board with pegs

Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,682,252 times
Today’s Question:
If you live in the U.S., are you ever given Canadian coins in your change ? less often than I used to
Have you accidentally used a foreign coin in a machine (vending/coin-operated, or self-checkout kiosk) ?yes - and not accidentally

Extra Credit:
Have you been to an establishment that had a bouncer (it’s okay if you’re not sure/don’t know) ?yes
Have you ever had to stand outside a nightclub, where the door person has list and/or decides who to let in ?yes

Bonus:
Have you taken sequential (whether across minutes, years, or another interval) photos of the same place or thing (not just of same person), to show how it changed over time ?yes - plus two of my sisters used to recreate a favorite pic from childhood every year or so - every time they were together as adults

Just for Fun:
Have you played the game “Battleship” ?yes
If so, which version: puzzles on paper, plastic boards with pegs, electronic and/or “talking” model, or computer/console ?[/b][/color]all of those except I think the PC one wasn't really battleship - but the same concept. Mostly I played on a board

Today’s Word:
skullduggery /ˌskəlˈdəɡ(ə)rē/ (n.): Being “up to no good”-misdeeds concealed by trickery & dishonesty. Bad behavior, dishonorable conduct.great word - maybe the same derivation as another great word - skulking "what was he doing skulking around after hours like that?"

Wishing you an enlightened and marvelous equinox Monday [/b]oh thank you - you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics