Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 95,994 times

Advertisements

Like many others my wife and I are thinking about a move to Oregon. Coming from California it just makes economic sense.
I've lived in Alaska for 15 years and general attitude there is "don't brag about our state to outsiders - we want to keep things as is".
Here in California the attitude is more like "if your legal and can afford it then come on down".
And we all know how the Hawaiians feel about outsiders.
My question here is how do fellow Oregonians feel about folks wanting to move in?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 08:06 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,633 times
well, for my self, and speaking for those who Ive talked with, we're all good with new people. New people = new friends. Plus, many times, they bring new buisnesses, trades, experiences, etc.
The big downside is those who move here and do nothing but complain and compare Oregon, and Oregonians, negativly to where they were previously. Thats not good. If you read through some of my previous posts, you'll see that is my biggest peeve and a huge reason for dismay for me. I can completely understand homesickness, and wanting to tell people the good parts about where you were from, but when its where people literally sit here and say "there is NOTHING good about Oregon or Oregonians" and yet, THEY still live here...those who say "oh, Oregons beaches are okay, but such and such states beaches are sooo much better"....."summers here are alright, but NOTHING compared to such and such state"....."such and such state is sooo much better than Oregon, I wish I was still there"......and really rankles my hide when I hear transplants saying how uneducated, stupid, hicks, druggies, prostitutes, terrorists etc. everyone in Oregon is. Some say this, and yet still chose to live here. That really baffles me. - anyhow, I'll jump off my soap box now. I tend to get stuck up there. Sorry!! Anyway, If you come with a good attitude, think/say positive stuff about Oregon and Oregonians, can see the wonderful things that are all around you and the incredible people you will meet, then by all means, come on up and welcome to Oregon.
Tiffany

Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 AM
ETB

2 posts, read 8,604 times
Default Oregonians and New Residents

I'm an Oregon immigrant, but I've lived here longer than anywhere else in my life. In general, Oregonians are pretty tolerant people. If you are polite to them, they'll be polite to you.

Regarding the comments Tiffela74 made - there's no doubt that the culture here is different than -- say -- San Francisco's or Seattle's. When we first moved here in the early 1980s, my wife and I would joke that Oregonians were the "hicks of the west coast." That's still true, to some extent, though Portland and some other areas have grown far more cosmopolitan than that over the past 20+ years. The point isn't that it's bad that Oregonians are different than other west coasters, it's just that we are different, and sometimes different is good. Or at least refreshing.

We don't necessarily care about the things that are hugely important to others, and we obsess about some things that may seem like non-issues to those outside Oregonian.

All said, if you're not a jerk, you'll be accepted no matter where you come from, in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:52 AM

Appreciate the input - it's about what I had suspected. Called "Good Ole Western Hospitality". Left over from the old days of the early explorers I suppose. And this is probably more widely respected by the baby boomer generation which we are part of. Wherever you live you should always give respect to your neighbors and your community.
Many Thanks

Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 AM

252 posts, read 1,127,519 times
Hmm, I guess theres rotten tudes no matter where you go.

Saphyre,
I grew up in Fullerton & OC since 1979 & lived in LA the past 3 yrs & see no reason to stay. I believe SmotPoker when he says bad elements from here ended up there somehow although he could've said it in better ways. It amazing how some people act around here, they're animals (and thats not in a joking way). Such disregard not only of laws but no respect to others or other's property. Also count very selfish behaviour that if you saw in a 5 yr old, you'd slap. I'm not saying this is the norm but you see it enough & on a daily basis.
People in OC are different but do you really need to spend $800k for a 2000 sq ft home on a 4500 sq ft lot to live in an area where people actually give a hoot about someone other than themselves? I don't think it would be too much to ask of Oregonians to give each new resident an opportunity of fitting in. I want to move to Oregon, with mostly Oregonian neighbors, living a suburban Oregonian lifestyle. I don't want to go to OR & see the same stuff I see in LA.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:37 AM

2,224 posts, read 772,200 times
I live in Fullerton I. for one, am planning on the New England area. I only read this thread because it was started by a Californian wanting to move out of state and I was curious why. Then to read a post by someone that solely blames Californians for the materialism and bad driving in their state, well, that is just ridiculous. I admit, it threw me off a little, which was the reason for my comment. It's OK though...I'm pretty happy with with myself, no matter where I live. Maybe I should have just passed on commenting!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:44 AM

3 posts, read 24,786 times
I live in Portland and I am also a midwest transplant of ten years. I don't bother asking people where they are from anymore. If you are of older then 20 or under 40, I assume you are from elsewhere. Oregonians are just like anybody else, be nice and we will too. Act like a bonehead and you will be treated as such. Californians unfortunately are seen in a slightly different light though. Many people see California as over populated, expensive, and really materialistic, and to some extent, those trends are happening in Portland too. Whether or not Californians are to blame for such trends is a dubious assumption, but statistically, I bet former Californians probably represent the bulk of new residents. Im sure these are just growing pains for any city that just so happens to be one of the new "it" cities for 30 somethings. Im sure cities like Seattle, Austin, Nashville, Denver all went through and continue to experience the changes that Portland is just starting to experience. Anyway, thats my rant.

Last edited by pdxtex; 11-01-2006 at 01:55 AM..

Old 11-01-2006, 09:17 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,909 times
Big cities/Big problems. That's the way I see it anyway. That's why I left the big city.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 AM

Default we bring money and jobs

Thanks for the input - what some forget to consider is that many outsiders bring with them jobs and the ability to pump money to the local economy. We pay our taxes and support charitble institutions. This should be a positive for most communites.
Cheers

Old 11-04-2006, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 83,091 times
Default some logical reasons why new blood isn't always good

I am originally from Bend and lived there in my formative years from 1992-2002. Even though Bend has become this trendy spot for outsiders from all over to move to, it still has a base of people that are small town eastern Oregonians. They (and myself included) get frustrated when we get cut off by somebody with California plates on their car or else you hear somebody from California go on about how nice things were there. (Covered in a previous response.)

The point I wanted to add was that outsiders moving in from more expensive places is exactly why Bend has also become overpriced. People take their equity from a house in California that they paid 500k and are in turn able to get a pretty nice house in Bend. People are snatching up some pretty nice houses because they are affordable by Californian standards. Now, this leads to the developers only building very large (and very expensive) houses. People originally from Bend will not nearly have the equity in the house they have purchased since most of them bought when it was still possible to get a decent one for under 100k. The wages are decent, but 30k a year does not let you afford any of the new houses being built...those are only affordable for the outsiders moving in.

That's the main reason I am frustrated with the huge migration, it's not because I have ill feelings against people from California, it's just that the only way I could return to Bend and buy a house would be to work in a high wage-earning place prior to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon