Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:53 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about these universities except for what I've seen on college websites, so...I came here for some info.

Which one of those universities would you recommend for someone interested in dentistry, pharmacy, something to do with urban studies or population, or something to do with geography?

I took a mock SAT last year and got 510, 550, and 570 in critical reading, math and writing, respectively. I'm positive I did better this year, because I didn't know enough math last year, so hopefully, all of my scores will be over 550, maybe even 600. My GPA will be 4.0 or higher, and I am very involved in school activities and clubs.

So, with that said, where do you think I should apply to, because I don't want to apply to too many colleges. Also, which one is in a great area that mixes liveliness with safeness.

Thanks for any replies ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Why in the world would you leave California for higher ed in Oregon? California's university system is much superior to Oregon's. Oregon does have some decent private universities.

However, if you insist, OSU has a School of Pharmacy. Pacific University in Forest Grove (private) has a school of dentistry, as does OHSU. Dentistry is a graduate program. You can do Urban Studies and geology just about anywhere except OHSU.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 AM

I'm trying to apply to one out of state school in a couple states, Oregon being one of them.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM

353 posts, read 934,234 times
UO and UP are not alike. UP is private, UO is public. It would be very easy to visit all 3.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 PM

82 posts, read 88,110 times
If you choose anything in the medical field, which sounds as though that may be the case, I would highly recommend OHSU. It is a top-ranking medical school. However, to agree with another poster here, why in the hell would you leave California? Go to one of the UCs down there.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:42 PM

they are just so difficult to get into now b/c everyone wants to come here. also, i think it may be a good experience for me to leave CA.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 PM

82 posts, read 88,110 times
Well, have you thought of possibly starting your first two years at a Junior College and getting a TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee) form filled out? Starting at the Junior College level in California is a great way to get into some of the better UCs down there (Berkeley, LA, SD), and it's very easy considering the IGETC agreements that they have. If I had to choose, I would go to a UC down in California, and then if I wanted out of California I would complete my grad studies elsewhere.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 AM

112 posts, read 716,381 times
Default Choosing a school

I'll tell you what. I'll simply answer your question regarding the three institutions you mentioned, and I won't try to talk you out of going somewhere or changing states, etc. Like some of the posters are trying to do. If you ask me to compare OR universities to CA universities, then I'll fill you in on my opinion.

You said you're interested in Pharmacy, Dental, etc. OSU is more suited to medical programs than U of O. OIT has a dental tech program. OHSU is a very good medical school. I'd check out OSU and OHSU as far as Oregon schools are concerned regarding your areas of interest. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 43,808 times
Default Oregon Higher Ed...

For what you are looking for and if you decide to go the Oregon route; U of O is the one for you. I disagree that OSU has a better Medical program. Check out the classes offered between the two! In general, OSU is best for all Agriculture/Natural Sciences etc (possibly including geography though) and U of O is a great place to start for Medicine and all Liberal studies and the Arts. Also Eugene is a great town...just my opinion If you choose Dentistry/Pharm, Finish 4 years at U of O then go on to OHSU or other...
BTW I was at OSU for 4 years...

Old 10-06-2007, 02:43 PM

143 posts, read 809,826 times
Our daughter is looking at colleges as well, focusing on pre med. She spoke with OHSU about a week ago and they said 60% of their students come from OSU. OSU used to excel mainly in the ag sciences and engineering, but times have definitely changed. We are OSU graduates, so happy to see this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon