Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 PM

20 posts, read 56,158 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know more about this area.

I moved to San Diego recently and absolutely love it, but I am curious about Orange County, Dana Point specifically.

Is there a lot to do in the area? Crime? Lower priced housing than say, Laguna or Newport Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Southern Orange County has some of the safest communities in the world. It has top-notch schools. Newport and Laguna Beach's public schools are amazing. Mission Viejo, Irvine, and Lake Forest are consistently ranked by Morgan Quitno as the safest in the country.

Dana Point is a pretty quiet community. It has a bit more crime than Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo, but it is a product of a small area of working-class apartments. D.P. is still a very family-friendly area.

San Juan Capistrano also has a small lower/middle class. It is almost 30% Latino. Again it is just in one focused area, and easily avoidable.

Bored?. South Coast Plaza, Balboa Island, Main St. HB, Bella Terra, Balboa Penin., Irvine Spectrum, Downtown Disney, Platinum Triangle, Costa Mesa bars, Mariners Mile, Shops at Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills Mall, Downtown Laguna Beach, and the new Segerstrom Concert Hall. You will not find as many cultural options as LA or SD, but in a few years you may! Orange County tends to have a LOT of CHAIN restaurants/shops. On the plus side, (Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Bloomingdales, In N Out, etc..)!

The most expensive real estate in Orange County is Newport Coast(Pelican Hill), Crystal Cove, Corona Del Mar, Villa Park, Yorba Linda, Laguna Beach, Nellie Rail Ranch, Foothill Ranch, Ladera Ranch, and Coto De Caza.

Lake Forest, San Clemente, Aliso Viejo, and Dana Point still tend to be the best bet for those middle class people looking for housing options. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 01-28-2007 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,293 times
I have a question newportbeachsmostwanted, You mentioned Trader Joes and Whole Foods Market. Where are those located in the Laguna Niguel, Dana Point and San Clemente area? We too are looking into these areas. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 AM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Traders Joes is in both Laguna Hills and Laguna Niguel. I don't know of a Whole Foods Market in L.H., L.N., or D.P. But I do know The Whole Foods, which is in Costa Mesa.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 AM

16 posts, read 100,438 times
Closest Whole Foods is in Tustin.....too far away to use.

Trader Joes is in Mission Viejo, and Dana Point, and San Clemente.

Dana Point is Awesome.....very good schools. Love it there. Awesome mix of suburb and cute beach-town (oh yea, and throw in the Ritz Carlton.....).

Expensive, but not as much as Laguna.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:34 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,545 times
I visited there a couple of times and loved the areas near the water. It is so gorgeous.

Quote:
Lake Forest, San Clemente, Aliso Viejo, and Dana Point still tend to be the best bet for those middle class people looking for housing options.
Newport, that is good information to know. I may have to rent someplace before I buy my Huntington Beach condo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County