Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 08:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,780 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer in Irvine. I currently live in NJ. The job pays the same, I plan on renting, and have done all the cost of living comparisons, and most sites say that I'll save money for the same salary.

Anyway, whether or not that is true, I should be a new Californian come February. I look forward to positively contributing to this wonderful state. My wife and new kid can't wait for the warmer weather. Coming from the most densely populated state to California will be a big change for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 08:55 PM

41 posts, read 247,269 times
Irvine is pretty densely populated too. Lots and lots of track homes and traffic. Just so you know.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM

85 posts, read 505,248 times
Yeah you will find Irvine actually feels as dense or even more so than anyplace in NJ. There are no trees to at least break things up so you end up just seeing endless vistas of tile roofs. Traffic is also significant as you probably know.

Also, although costs are similar to NJ, the houses are less "nice" in general. What I mean is there are no basements, no brick, and the lots are usually much smaller than NJ homes. Weahter is nice though no doubt. Say goodbye to green now, you are moving to a desert.

Oh and you have to pump your own gas in CA, plus it's a little more than NJ.

Best of luck.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 AM

haha...I grew up in CT so pumping gas is something I miss about living in Jersey.

I've been to the area, am very familiar. I hope to live in Costa Mesa and work in Irvine. I am a city boy, so nothing really shocks me. I plan on renting for the next few years, as I am in no position to own in Eastern Morris County, or Orange County.

I love the desert climate, but I don't believe anything to be greener on the other side of the fence. I'm sure there will be things about Orange County that I won't like but will have to learn to adjust to.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Irvine is a great place to live. It's positives far outweigh it's negatives. People are laid-back. There are tons of things to do. Traffic is not too bad. Volume can be heavy, but it is not nearly as stressful as some of the NJ traffic I've been in. NJ drivers speed! When I was there, they were driving 50 mph on 30 mph roads. I couldn't believe it! No, trees aren't everywhere. It' not a forest. Infact, it's not a desert either. It's a chaparral. Irvine is more "woodsy" than any of the coastal cities.

Sure it recieves it's yearly "dry spell", but Irvine stays green year-round. - Thanks to artificial insemination via sprinkler heads.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,241 times
Default Just want we need

more transplants to crowd our already crowded freeways.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks newportbeach. We're very excited about moving.

Amyboring,

I hope that comment isn't reflective of most people in Orange County. The part of NJ I live is probably one of the most densely populated parts of the country. So I will probably fit right in.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
I've been to the area, am very familiar. I hope to live in Costa Mesa and work in Irvine. I am a city boy, so nothing really shocks me. I plan on renting for the next few years, as I am in no position to own in Eastern Morris County, or Orange County.
I lived in Morris County (Boonton) from 1990-1993. Liked it a lot there - endless things to keep me entertained. If that wasn't enough, just took the green bus to NYC. Coming from CA, the variety of the towns in NJ was interesting. Morris County does not fit the stereotype that people from the west coast have of NJ. I rented in NJ and I rent here. Its OK. Costa Mesa is a decent place. Close to the ocean means nice summers (very little AC needed). My utility bills here are very cheap because of how little heat or AC is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
I love the desert climate, but I don't believe anything to be greener on the other side of the fence. I'm sure there will be things about Orange County that I won't like but will have to learn to adjust to.
Although OC is arid and brown most of the year (lack of rain), due to proximity to the ocean, the humidity is usually about 50-60 percent or so. At times higher when the fog sets in, but very comfy most of the time. In contrast, the inland deserts, while also arid, have almost no humidity in the hot season (10-15 percent), so dry that it makes your skin scratch and wrinkle up.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:15 AM

Thanks recycled. I've enjoyed Morris County since I moved there 4 almost 5 years ago.

Boonton had a good coffee shop called Roxi's or something. I think they moved into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County